The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 09:11:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 09:11:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: After 101 books  (Read 15377 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 04, 2007, 07:23:22 pm »

I guess I'm mostly interested in magic at the moment. Is there a book about magic that you know of that has kitchen-witch type spells? Those will probably be best for me, seeing as I'm in the broomcloset.

Or any books on religious practices with a Celtic or Wiccanish flavor. No New Age.

Is Buckland's Scottish Witchcraft and Magick good?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:29:30 pm by Mithril » Logged

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 04, 2007, 10:31:54 pm »

I'm beginning to be bored with 101 books, so where do I go from there? What would be a good second step? Any suggestions will be aprreciated!  Wink

Advanced Wicca by Patricia Telesco might be a book to give you some ideas.

I also agree with some others who have said to just pick something you are interested in and start exploring that.  I've started doing that myself with dream working (keeping a dream journal and working on having lucid dreams) and meditation, which is something I've never really gotten into before.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: November 04, 2007, 10:38:28 pm »

Is Buckland's Scottish Witchcraft and Magick good?

Here's a link to my review of Bluckland's Scottish Witchcraft: The History and Magick of the Picts. The book is not worth the paper it was printed on, IMHO.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 04, 2007, 10:44:46 pm »

Here's a link to my review of Bluckland's Scottish Witchcraft: The History and Magick of the Picts. The book is not worth the paper it was printed on, IMHO.

That's too bad. One of my friends gave it to me, and it's one of the few books I have access to. Is there anything worthwhile I can get out of it?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: November 04, 2007, 10:45:44 pm »

That's too bad. One of my friends gave it to me, and it's one of the few books I have access to. Is there anything worthwhile I can get out of it?

IMHO, no. It's almost a complete waste of trees.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: November 05, 2007, 05:30:22 am »

Advanced Wicca by Patricia Telesco might be a book to give you some ideas.

I don't know - I found that book VERY weird.

Admittedly, I'm not Wiccan in any stripe.  So it might just be aimed at not-me.  But the book didn't seem to actually cover anything really /advanced/ .. and had some weird insistances upon things.  (like crunchy veggies for grounding.  over and over - crunchy veggies).

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 05, 2007, 08:10:27 am »

I don't know - I found that book VERY weird.

Admittedly, I'm not Wiccan in any stripe.  So it might just be aimed at not-me.  But the book didn't seem to actually cover anything really /advanced/ .. and had some weird insistances upon things.  (like crunchy veggies for grounding.  over and over - crunchy veggies).

HAHA! 

I haven't read the book cover to cover so I can't say it's not completely weird - but I think one could get some good ideas from it, such as dream work and trance work.  It could maybe give a place to start. 

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 05, 2007, 07:33:53 pm »

I haven't read the book cover to cover so I can't say it's not completely weird - but I think one could get some good ideas from it, such as dream work and trance work.  It could maybe give a place to start. 

I'm looking for something really relevent though, not just something that has a few good things because, like I said, I'm in the broomcloset and can only ask for maybe one book a year (two if I'm lucky) from my friends.

Spangleburt
Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2010, 08:46:52 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 13, 2009, 03:36:19 pm »

I'm looking for something really relevent though, not just something that has a few good things because, like I said, I'm in the broomcloset and can only ask for maybe one book a year (two if I'm lucky) from my friends.

Lol, bringing an old(ish) thread back from the grave here, but I recently read Solitary Wicca for Life by Arin Murphy Hiscock, and I too have to recommend it. It's such a down to earth book, very much pretence-free, and is remarkably both more practical and useful than most of the '101' type books, but also much more relaxed. The writing style is really easy to read and the author's voice really comes through, which is always a positive thing in my eyes. The only thing I would say is that it goes very well with Arin's other book, Power Spellcraft for Life, as both books leave a few gaps up to the other book to fill in.

Buckland is a strange fruit in that his writing can be very welcoming one minute and a bit dense (as in inenetrable rather than as in mentally slow) the next. My first book on solitary Wicca was Buckland's Wicca for One, and I found that perfect at first. I then moved on to Cunningham's Wicca and Living Wicca books, which provided a much more laid back approach, but it almost seemed slightly diluted. In regards to Buckland, I heard somewhere that he made up an entire (supposedly ancient etc etc) branch of witchcraft knownas Pecti Wita. At least, I've heard it was made up anyhoo, don't know if anyone here can verify that or not. It would ake sense, as Buckland was very disillusioned with the backbiting, snobbery, bickering etc in Wicca, and if you swap a couple of letters in Pecti Wita around you end up with (essentially) Petty Wicca (or Petti Wica). A wry sense of humour has Mr Buckland Cheesy

I tried a few other authors too, ranging from Vivienne Crowley to Oberon Zell Ravenheart (a bit glib at times, lots of made up information and quite a bit of patently absurd fiction stated as fact. His work makes up for this by being massively practical: the useful bits are veeeery useful indeed), but there was always something that didn't quite click.

So, in conclusion, as you have already read a '101' type book or two, definitely consider the Arin Murphy Hiscock texts I've Mentioned, as for me they seemed to consolidate what I already knew, permitted me to cut out a lot of chaff from my own practice and generally helped things to 'click'.

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls." -Simon and Garfunkel

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 13, 2009, 05:48:00 pm »

So, in conclusion, as you have already read a '101' type book or two, definitely consider the Arin Murphy Hiscock texts I've Mentioned, as for me they seemed to consolidate what I already knew, permitted me to cut out a lot of chaff from my own practice and generally helped things to 'click'.

Thanks, I will.

How relevant is Garden Witchery by Ellen Dugan for almost tropical climates? I want to be sure it doesn't mostly talk about northern plants before I buy it.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2021, 03:24:57 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: February 14, 2009, 12:20:00 am »

In regards to Buckland, I heard somewhere that he made up an entire (supposedly ancient etc etc) branch of witchcraft knownas Pecti Wita. At least, I've heard it was made up anyhoo, don't know if anyone here can verify that or not. It would ake sense, as Buckland was very disillusioned with the backbiting, snobbery, bickering etc in Wicca, and if you swap a couple of letters in Pecti Wita around you end up with (essentially) Petty Wicca (or Petti Wica). A wry sense of humour has Mr Buckland Cheesy
My recollection is that he spelled it "Pecti-Wica", but I don't seem to be able to check it quickly.  In attempting to do so, though, I ran across a couple of similar accounts - the pseudonym he used for the novel Mu Revealed was "Tony Earll", an anagram for "not really"; and that the motivation for his invention of Seax-Wica was annoyance at Gardnerian infighting (I'm paraphrasing Wikipedia here; the introductory material in The Tree implies it was less internal squabbling that annoyed him and more attitudes toward non-initiates, but he does sound annoyed).

If I'm mistaken about the spelling (which I could well be) and you're right, the wordplay would be in character.  If I've recalled the spelling correctly, what you heard sounds like a conflation of other anecdotes.  Either way, though, he had a habit of pulling brand new "ancient" traditions out of his arse.

As an aside, I'm interested to notice that you're someone hailing from the UK who's familiar with Buckland and his work - past experience suggests this may not be typical; I'm more used to Brits having never heard of him (not a meaningful test-sample size; mostly, the subject doesn't come up).  I'm curious about this, since "Uncle Bucky" has been hugely influential on the shape of North American Wicca; if he's largely unknown in the UK, that sheds some light on just how deep the roots of the differences, and the conversational misunderstandings, go.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #26: February 14, 2009, 01:53:50 am »

As an aside, I'm interested to notice that you're someone hailing from the UK who's familiar with Buckland and his work - past experience suggests this may not be typical; I'm more used to Brits having never heard of him (not a meaningful test-sample size; mostly, the subject doesn't come up).  I'm curious about this, since "Uncle Bucky" has been hugely influential on the shape of North American Wicca; if he's largely unknown in the UK, that sheds some light on just how deep the roots of the differences, and the conversational misunderstandings, go.

From what I've seen on the British forum I read, he's not unknown, but his humour is.  They seem to think that Pecti Wicca and Seax Wicca are actual attempts to claim ancient lineage, and most more-or-less deride him for it.  The idea that he created them to twit Gardner, or out of annoyance at him, is pretty much unknown there.

And no, on this particular forum it isn't worth it to point this out.  There is an open anti-American bias there (especially anti American Wiccan/Wiccish development) that damns him from the beginning.  It is more interesting to read the offended comments from people who think those two offshoots were meant to be taken seriously.  It is ..... enlightening.  Especially for someone who knows as little about Wiccan internal politics as i do.

Absent

Edited to add:  Of course, this is only my experience of one particular forum.  Others may differ.

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: February 14, 2009, 05:22:46 am »

From what I've seen on the British forum I read, he's not unknown, but his humour is.  They seem to think that Pecti Wicca and Seax Wicca are actual attempts to claim ancient lineage, and most more-or-less deride him for it.  The idea that he created them to twit Gardner, or out of annoyance at him, is pretty much unknown there.

And no, on this particular forum it isn't worth it to point this out.  There is an open anti-American bias there (especially anti American Wiccan/Wiccish development) that damns him from the beginning.  It is more interesting to read the offended comments from people who think those two offshoots were meant to be taken seriously.  It is ..... enlightening.  Especially for someone who knows as little about Wiccan internal politics as i do.
I can't say for sure about Pecti-Wica, but Seax-Wica was certainly meant to be taken seriously, not just to twist anyone's nose (and certainly not Gardner's; he'd been dead for about a decade by then).  But what it's meant to be serious as, is a system of Wiccanesque religious witchcraft that doesn't require kissing the arse of someone with High Priest/ess Disease to get initiated (evidently back in the day a problematic number of coven leaders were mishandling their authority - not just in NA; Doreen Valiente takes some potshots at the attitudes as well).  Buckland doesn't claim ancient lineage for it at all; IIRC, he's pretty up-front that it's his own, modern creation - they can get him on Bad History, if they want (the amount of historically-authentic Saxon material that went into it wouldn't fill a thimble), but to the best of my knowledge the only lineage he claims is his fully vouched and verified Gardnerian one.

I'm pretty sure I know what forum you're referring to (and this is the second shot I've seen you take at them today, so I infer they're getting on your nerves again), though.  They won't have bothered to actually read any Buckland, to find out just what claims he does and doesn't make, for what, in which book - can't have facts interfering with their righteous insular superiority.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: February 14, 2009, 05:37:43 am »

It is ..... enlightening.  Especially for someone who knows as little about Wiccan internal politics as i do.
Edited to add:  Of course, this is only my experience of one particular forum.  Others may differ.
Almost certainly true.  On the Amber & Jet email list, it isn't even a non-issue, much less an issue; the UK Gardnerians don't question the US Gardnerians' validity... and the overwhelming majority of Gardnerians in the US trace their lineage through Raymond and Rosemary Buckland.  I suspect most of the insularists on that forum aren't Wiccan (i.e., BTW) at all; those who are, are basically still opposing Gardner's decision over forty years ago to initiate the Bucklands for the purpose of bringing Wicca to the New World.  Which, well... speaks for itself I think.

Sunflower

Spangleburt
Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2010, 08:46:52 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 14, 2009, 06:52:32 am »

Sunflower: It's entirely possibly I've got the spelling wrong, it's been a while since I read anything about it. Oddly enough, Buckland was the 2nd author I learned about after Cunningham (yet I read Buckland first).

Thanks, I will.

How relevant is Garden Witchery by Ellen Dugan for almost tropical climates? I want to be sure it doesn't mostly talk about northern plants before I buy it.

Lol, all this talk of Buckland (whose Complete Book of Witchcraft is another pretty comprehensive text, structured like a study course with tests to complete before progressing from each chapter) aside, I personally have no idea what Dugan's work so I can't really help there.

Anybody here with a working knowledge of Ellen Dugan's Garden Witchery care to drop in and advise? Just to kinda steer things back on topic, lol Smiley

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls." -Simon and Garfunkel

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)