The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 06, 2020, 04:28:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 06, 2020, 04:28:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: There's Celtic, and then there's Celtic  (Read 5456 times)
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 22, 2007, 01:37:33 pm »

While we are at it, how about the Breton? What is now Brittany was known as Lesser Britain and the inhabitants were genetically and liguistically linked with the Welsh and Cornish. My family are Breton. with Welsh, Cornish and Irish in that order.

Actually someone (but I can't recall who-I heard it on a recent radio documentary) did a linguistic analysis of Breton and found that it was strongly linked to both Old French and Welsh-sort of like a bridge between these two tongues. The suggested hypothesis was that in ancient times, the Gallic tribes invaded Britain via Brittany and settled in Wales, thus becoming the ancestors of the Welsh. This was their conclusion, but of course it could have happened the other way...I guess none of us will ever know for sure.

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 22, 2007, 08:10:14 pm »

Actually someone (but I can't recall who-I heard it on a recent radio documentary) did a linguistic analysis of Breton and found that it was strongly linked to both Old French and Welsh-sort of like a bridge between these two tongues. The suggested hypothesis was that in ancient times, the Gallic tribes invaded Britain via Brittany and settled in Wales, thus becoming the ancestors of the Welsh. This was their conclusion, but of course it could have happened the other way...I guess none of us will ever know for sure.

I can't voch that it is accuate, but for a long time it has been held that Brittany (Less Brition) was populated by the celtic  peoples moving back onto the continent.  The blend of french with the current language would have occured over the past +/- 1000 yrs that the French have dominated or controled Brittany.  Obviously they also moved people into Brittany.

I used to have a tie pin sporting the "Free Brittany" idea.  At least 30yrs ago there was a definate movemnet that wanted separation from France.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)