The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 03:19:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 03:19:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for recipes: no sugar, no white flour  (Read 6105 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 09, 2007, 01:17:52 am »

Hi, guys.

My daughter and I are trying a new healthy-eating diet out, basically nothing with refined sugar or white flour, and as little processed, prepackaged food as possible in this day and age.  We're going to try it until the end of March and see what we think about it.

So I'm looking for recipes that real people actually like.  Any suggestions?

Oh, yeah, and I'm a vegetarian.  But my daughter is not, so meat-free and meat-ful are both appreciated.

Thanks.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 09, 2007, 04:34:18 am »

What kind of recipes are you looking for?  (entrees, desserts, etc)  I use a site called Recipezaar, they've got a really detailed search system, and ratings, so you might be able to find a lot of stuff.

Also, The Cook's Thesaurus is an incredible resource, if you want to adapt your current recipes to your new diet.  Here are the pages on flours and sugar.

If you're allowed rice and other grains, it's not so bad to avoid flour.  Sugar can be harder, because it shows up in the weirdest stuff (watch out for store bought sauces, dressings, etc!).  If you like soda, try drinking sparkling water, store brand is very cheap and it's better for you than diet soda.

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 09, 2007, 08:08:32 am »

My daughter and I are trying a new healthy-eating diet out, basically nothing with refined sugar or white flour, and as little processed, prepackaged food as possible in this day and age.  We're going to try it until the end of March and see what we think about it.

No refined sugar - so I'm assuming that raw sugar and honey as sweetners are OK?

I know King Arthur put out a Big Fat Cookbook of whole grain recipes last year.  I haven't looked through it myself so I don't know how many of them are exclusively whole grain.  I'll look through my cookbooks and see if I can find anything.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 09, 2007, 09:36:17 am »

Moon Ivy,

Check allrecipes. They have an ingredient search where you can specify the ingredient you want (I used beef) and the ingredients you don't want (in this case sugar and flour and white flour). You'll need to play with it some, I'm sure, but it should give you a start.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 09, 2007, 10:41:57 am »

Thanks!  These are all great ideas.  I'll get my daughter on the computer to check them out over the weekend.

Yes, we're allowing honey in moderation -- mostly because I think we'd both go nuts without *something*.  Fortunately, neither of us is big on soda.

But the no chocolate part might kill me.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 09, 2007, 11:02:59 am »

Thanks!  These are all great ideas.  I'll get my daughter on the computer to check them out over the weekend.

You might also want to take a look at www.equal.com for dishes without refined sugar.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 09, 2007, 11:58:19 am »

I'm a huge Splenda fan, myself.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 09, 2007, 12:21:59 pm »

I'm a huge Splenda fan, myself.

I haven't had much experience with Splenda, never having given up sugar before.  You just substitute it for sugar?  And that actually works?

Sorry to sound incredulous.  It just seems too easy. Wink

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: March 09, 2007, 12:38:15 pm »

I haven't had much experience with Splenda, never having given up sugar before.  You just substitute it for sugar?  And that actually works?

Sorry to sound incredulous.  It just seems too easy. Wink

I'm not sure if it's a 1:1 substitution or not...  Packages of Splenda should have details, though.  When baking, though, I'd look for recipes specifically developed to use Splenda...  Baking is as much science as anything, and there are chemical reactions that might not work as well with Splenda as with sugar (especially baking stuff that uses yeast).

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 09, 2007, 01:33:29 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a 1:1 substitution or not...  Packages of Splenda should have details, though.  When baking, though, I'd look for recipes specifically developed to use Splenda...  Baking is as much science as anything, and there are chemical reactions that might not work as well with Splenda as with sugar (especially baking stuff that uses yeast).

It's supposed to be a 1:1 substitution, but Splenda also has a "for baking" version that is Splenda combined with real sugar, probably for exactly that reason.  My Mom was on Atkins for a while, and Splenda was the only sugar substitute she could stand.

For things like yeast bread baking, any non-refined sugar (honey, raw sugar, etc) should work fine.
Edith
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 02, 2011, 09:37:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 09, 2007, 03:16:02 pm »

If you like soda, try drinking sparkling water, store brand is very cheap and it's better for you than diet soda.

Good idea. But also check the amount of salt, sparkling water is usually full of it.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: March 09, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

Good idea. But also check the amount of salt, sparkling water is usually full of it.

The stuff I pick up in 1-liter bottles (in with the drink mixers) that says "sparkling water" has no sodium in it at all; all that's in it is water and carbonation.  It's either "seltzer water" or "club soda" that has the sodium, I forget which.

...Of course, it's also just occuring to me that there are things sold in with the bottled water that are sparkling, like Perrier maybe--don't know about those.  Some of them are mineral water, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if minerals included sodium.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Edith
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 02, 2011, 09:37:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 09, 2007, 03:39:10 pm »

...Of course, it's also just occuring to me that there are things sold in with the bottled water that are sparkling, like Perrier maybe--don't know about those.  Some of them are mineral water, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if minerals included sodium.

Hmm... yes, I was thinking of Perrier kind of drink. You're right, it is "mineral" water more than just "sparkling" water.
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 09, 2007, 04:35:42 pm »

It's supposed to be a 1:1 substitution, but Splenda also has a "for baking" version that is Splenda combined with real sugar, probably for exactly that reason.  My Mom was on Atkins for a while, and Splenda was the only sugar substitute she could stand.

For things like yeast bread baking, any non-refined sugar (honey, raw sugar, etc) should work fine.

Before Splenda came out with the "baking blend" I used it exclusively--and the only thing I had to do differently was add about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar as a stabilizer, so my results would be nearly what they'd have been with refined sugar.

My mom uses the baking blend and likes it, but I don't bother. I bake so seldom, I stick with what I did before and do just fine.

YMMV, naturally.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 09, 2007, 04:37:09 pm »

Before Splenda came out with the "baking blend" I used it exclusively--and the only thing I had to do differently was add about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar as a stabilizer, so my results would be nearly what they'd have been with refined sugar.

My mom uses the baking blend and likes it, but I don't bother. I bake so seldom, I stick with what I did before and do just fine.

YMMV, naturally.

Good to know.  Thanks.

I have some experimenting to do.  Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)