The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 06:52:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 06:52:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: History Lesson required in Divination?  (Read 4564 times)
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 03, 2007, 09:41:53 pm »

Well Met All. I was skimming through the recent posts,etc and came across one that had to do with runes. While I agree if you are going to participate in a practice you should know what you are doing as well as be well informed on the various aspects of a practice. But how do you all feel about applying that to divination? I saw when discussing runes as divination compared to in a scholarly inquiry, that in both cases it was recommended to read the scholarly information (via books in this case) as well.

Myself, I feel no need to know the in depth historical or acedemic or scholarly(you get the point) information on most types of divination, excluding astrology, which I don't consider just divination anyhow as it's more complex than that. Sure, with Tarot I have a good understanding of the basic origin, the origin of different decks and the use of symbology in historical referece to the cards. But I am much more interested in the developing connection I have with the cards, what they mean to me, and how I see things shaping with them currently.

As most forms of divination I deal with are with various cards, i'm just using that as one example. I'm sure there are other forms where one would need those things but I don't feel it is a needed, or wanted, focus for me. I'm looking forward to some opinions on this. Perhaps there is some benefit i am missing from feeling this way,lol.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: July 03, 2007, 09:59:15 pm »

Well Met All. I was skimming through the recent posts,etc and came across one that had to do with runes. While I agree if you are going to participate in a practice you should know what you are doing as well as be well informed on the various aspects of a practice. But how do you all feel about applying that to divination? I saw when discussing runes as divination compared to in a scholarly inquiry, that in both cases it was recommended to read the scholarly information (via books in this case) as well.

I think part of that is just the nature of this forum; we lean to the scholarly side of things.  Wink

In the case of runes I think it's pertinent.  They have pretty set meanings, as I understand it; it's not like some methods of divination where what the symbols say to you personally is as important as what symbols come up.  (I could be wrong here, not being anything resembling an expert, and I'm sure if I am several people will jump in to correct me.  Cheesy )  Those meanings don't out of nowhere...  they come from a historical tradition.  So I don't think it's a bad idea to make sure that someone who's wanting to get into them knows how to figure out what's good information and what's bad.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 03, 2007, 10:06:36 pm »

I think part of that is just the nature of this forum; we lean to the scholarly side of things.  Wink

In the case of runes I think it's pertinent.  They have pretty set meanings, as I understand it; it's not like some methods of divination where what the symbols say to you personally is as important as what symbols come up.  (I could be wrong here, not being anything resembling an expert, and I'm sure if I am several people will jump in to correct me.  Cheesy )  Those meanings don't out of nowhere...  they come from a historical tradition.  So I don't think it's a bad idea to make sure that someone who's wanting to get into them knows how to figure out what's good information and what's bad.

That's very true, and I of course agree from what little i know about runes. I made a set myself but never felt they resonated with me. I know you should know the historical tradition of where the symbols come from and the meanings, but outside of that is all of that other information necessary for just using them as divination? I could see if you were to delve into runes outside of that context, you would need to.

I think it's great that everyone leans towards the scholarly in this forum, i love it. I just feel for me I don't need to apply that too in depth with divination. For me, divination is more about me and what source or tool I am using. So, outside of basic knowledge of the divination method and the necessary knowledge you must gain(symbology,meaning,methods,etc) i don't utilize it much.

thank you for your input Star!

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 03, 2007, 10:39:20 pm »

I think it's great that everyone leans towards the scholarly in this forum, i love it. I just feel for me I don't need to apply that too in depth with divination. For me, divination is more about me and what source or tool I am using. So, outside of basic knowledge of the divination method and the necessary knowledge you must gain(symbology,meaning,methods,etc) i don't utilize it much.

If that works for you, great.

But  am still going to advise beginners to study, study, study -- especially on something like Runes which have a long history and religious import.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 04, 2007, 08:20:36 am »

With the runes...well, there are rune poems indicating the meaning of the runes.  I think it's better to read those poems than to accept what an author tells you the meaning is.  Because frankly, I'd rather have my own interpretation, than to hope someone else isn't completely making it up.

And to understand the runes best, it helps to understand the historical background.  It's simply the best way to build up a 'connection' in my view.  Fehu means wealth, but it has associations beyond that: the tradition of gifting, strife between kinsmen, and so on.  Im pretty sure I've also seen it associated with fertility etc because essentially: a big herd of healthy cows means You Are Wealthy.

In books on runes, magically, I've seen Peorth associated with secrets.  I have no idea why - the association makes no sense if you read the rune poems.  One associated with peorth:

'Gaming is always play and laughter,
To proud men...where warriors sit,
In the beerhall happily together'

I basically don't trust many pagan authors to know what they're talking about.

In the case of Tarot...  I think it would help to be aware of the origins of symbology used in the various decks.  In the Rider Waite, there's a strong connection with Golden Dawn/ Ceremonial Magic symbology.  Therefore studying those topics may help you pick out the little details that add information.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 04, 2007, 11:24:54 am »

But  am still going to advise beginners to study, study, study -- especially on something like Runes which have a long history and religious import.

Agreed.

But, out of curiosity, how would people apply this to pendulum work?  Is there a book out there that talks about the origins of the pendulum and how it has been used in various cultures throughout history?  If so, I'd love to read it. 

But my sense is that the pendulum (like dowsing rods, maybe?) is such a basic tool that it just sort of...IS.

Am I off base on that?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: July 04, 2007, 11:56:14 am »

But, out of curiosity, how would people apply this to pendulum work?  Is there a book out there that talks about the origins of the pendulum and how it has been used in various cultures throughout history?  If so, I'd love to read it. 

Personally, that's why I addressed runes as opposed to other forms of divination in my reply.  It's my impression (though, again, I could be wrong since divination and I have never mixed that well) that historical data is going to be more available and more useful for some methods than for others.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 04, 2007, 12:41:05 pm »

Personally, that's why I addressed runes as opposed to other forms of divination in my reply.  It's my impression (though, again, I could be wrong since divination and I have never mixed that well) that historical data is going to be more available and more useful for some methods than for others.

Yeah, I think so too.  There's so much out there about tarot and runes.  But I haven't seen anything really good (from an historical or academic perspective) about the "simpler" forms of divination -- like the pendulum.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 04, 2007, 05:30:21 pm »

If that works for you, great.

Oh, I agree they should study but there are more things to study than just in depth historical/scholarly information. I did alot of studying for many things along my path but few times was it anything too in depth with historical information when it came to things like divination,etc. I did alot of that with different paths,Witch trails even, and spellwork and magic.

Bright Blessings!

Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 04, 2007, 05:33:30 pm »

With the runes...well, there are rune poems indicating the meaning of the runes.  I think it's better to read those poems than to accept what an author tells you the meaning is.  Because frankly, I'd rather have my own interpretation, than to hope someone else isn't completely making it up.

I don't know much about runes myself as I explained in the initial post, so ty for that! That makes a great deal of sense.

In the case of Tarot...  I think it would help to be aware of the origins of symbology used in the various decks.  In the Rider Waite, there's a strong connection with Golden Dawn/ Ceremonial Magic symbology.  Therefore studying those topics may help you pick out the little details that add information.

Yeah, i agreed with you there. I'm not too fond of that deck myself, i went with one centralized around greek mythology myself bc it resonates well with me and the celtic decks I had found didn't, but i did find it fascinating to read the background and history of that deck.

Bright Blessings
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 05:35:39 pm by Chaliceocean, Reason: typo queen strikes again » Logged

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 04, 2007, 05:40:06 pm »

But my sense is that the pendulum (like dowsing rods, maybe?) is such a basic tool that it just sort of...IS.

That's probably true. But it is not true of Runes, Astrology, Geomancy, Tarot, and many other systems of divination.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 08, 2007, 09:36:56 am »

Yeah, I think so too.  There's so much out there about tarot and runes.  But I haven't seen anything really good (from an historical or academic perspective) about the "simpler" forms of divination -- like the pendulum.

I suspect this is because the pendulum has been independently invented in just about every culture known to man... and because one's relationship with the pendulum's motivating spirit is personal.  Most instructions for using the pendulum involve asking the device to show you how it will signal answers and the device demonstrating in response. 

There doesn't seem to be a need for study or previous knowledge, unlike with tarot and runes, which have been used by thousands of people for hundreds of years, all working off more or less the same understanding of what each rune or card means, giving them substantial magical momentum and weight.  It is counter-productive to try to re-invent the wheel when there is a magical interstate ready and waiting for you to get behind the wheel of your Porsche... 

JMHO, YMMV of course.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 10, 2007, 09:25:50 pm »

Myself, I feel no need to know the in depth historical or acedemic or scholarly(you get the point) information on most types of divination, excluding astrology, which I don't consider just divination anyhow as it's more complex than that. Sure, with Tarot I have a good understanding of the basic origin, the origin of different decks and the use of symbology in historical referece to the cards. But I am much more interested in the developing connection I have with the cards, what they mean to me, and how I see things shaping with them currently.

Well I do rune readings, and am still using the book that came with them to interpret the readings  Cheesy

The readings do seem to work fine for me.  If I were to do more research, would I get more info out of a single reading? Probably.  But they work for me now, albeit a little slowly as I have to read each interpretation out of the book, stumbling around in the book as I find each one  Grin

One interesting twist:  I set the runes up in an astrological 12 houses pattern to do a reading, then an overall rune for the reading in the center.  It gives a LOT of info that way.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)