The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 05:07:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 05:07:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Avatar  (Read 24702 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 05, 2007, 01:54:58 pm »

A lot of full members have personalized avatars: some are photos, some are illustrations, some are typography or calligraphy; some are self-portraits, some are animals, some are abstract designs; some are totems or carry other spiritual meaning, others may not. All, if they're personalized, say something about you.

So tell us about your avatar!

I used photos of eagles, my totem, in my signature on the old board, but something more abstract seemed to lend itself better to the smaller image size of the avatars on this new board. So the eagle became a silhouette, in flight because it better reflects my pagan moniker ("al ta'ir" is Arabic for "the flyer," meaning a bird).

I like to think of the light source in the pic in two ways. In the first, the eagle is flying into the sun, which captures the idea of flying high and also the mystical role of eagles in many cultures as the messenger of the gods, going between the heavens (the spiritual realm) and the earth (the mundane world). In the second, the eagle is that formed by the constellation Aquila, and the light source is Altair, that constellation's brightest star.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: July 05, 2007, 02:04:41 pm »

Not much to say about mine.  It's a sun.  Apollo is my Patron.  That's about all there is to it.  Smiley  I have the same design (minus the flames) tattooed on my right shoulder and have used it elsewhere as religious symbolism as well.  The basic design was clip art I found somewhere and latched onto, though I added the flames at the center.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 05, 2007, 03:42:35 pm »

It's of actress Claudia Black, aka Aeryn Sun.  I picked it partly because I think she's lovely, physically (a girl crush of the highest degree......).  In interviews, she strikes me as open and frank, but there's a sense of gentleness too.  I think it's mostly that she seems to embody that idea of the ultimate tough girl with a soft side.  She also seems very aware of the world and herself. That's what I aspire to, so it's also there as a reminder and inspiration.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 05, 2007, 04:00:13 pm »

Mine is of me.  honest, that's a pic of me.

no?

well, the flame symbolizes Flamekeeping.  the wings .. um, that I like wings.  the sardonic quirk of the eyebrow?  pure coincidence, I swear. Wink

the wee widdle baby?  um ......... *looks guilty* I ain't saying! Cheesy  (but he's trying to crawl into the clean laundry as we speak ....)

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 05, 2007, 04:02:30 pm »

My green butterfly comes from the wallpaper that BardicStorm created for me years and years ago.  I use the butterfly as my symbol in LJ also.  Green is one of my favorite colors and the butterfly has always been a creature that fascinated me.
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 05, 2007, 04:04:29 pm »

Mine is of my chihuahua Shadey Bear.  I actually have 13 pet chihuahuas, but he is my special baby Smiley  Besides, if I used a pic of my daughter she would get me! LOL

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: July 05, 2007, 04:12:47 pm »

the wee widdle baby?  um ......... *looks guilty* I ain't saying! Cheesy  (but he's trying to crawl into the clean laundry as we speak ....)

I really should try to find you a toddler to go in there instead of the baby, now that Darius is getting bigger...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 05, 2007, 04:43:16 pm »

I'm a just a cat-lover and at work, I'd tune into LiveJournal's cat_macros community to keep me sane during the day. The pic for my avatar is one of my favorites that got posted. Smiley

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 05, 2007, 04:58:56 pm »

The waterfall that I use for an avatar is one of my favorite places on the planet.  You can't see it in the picture, but they're large enough that you can walk behind them (and there are caves underneath as well).  It's a powerful place and one where I go when I need to reconnect. 

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 05, 2007, 05:18:50 pm »

Well, mine is a photo of me.  Pretty simple. Smiley  I forget the exact circumstances of it, but I imagine it was a halloween night a year or two ago.  Possibly a little more.  I enjoy 'gothing up', but now I'm older I prefer to reserve it for 'appropriate' occasions - and eally halloween is the only time I feel able to get away with it these days.  When I was younger I pretty much did some eyeliner whenever I was going out.

Plus I like flirting, and it's easier to flirt with people when you look 'normal.'

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 05, 2007, 05:27:22 pm »

My avatar is a picture a friend gave me that I've always loved. The first time I saw it, I thought of Brighid, and have used it since.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 05, 2007, 05:44:28 pm »

There's not really a lot to tell. It's a reduced version of my sig image from the old board. It's an ancient Greek coin with an owl image (for Athena).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: July 05, 2007, 05:58:43 pm »

NOt a lot again,

I actually made it from a bike helmet sticker design, which I recolered, resized, chopped up and then recoloured and copied again.

The flames (obvious) symbolise the flamekeeping, and the colours are teh ones I always felt best displayed my own contrasts. I only wear black and blue, To the extent someone once accused me of not knowing any other colours exist. However ALL of my personally coloured "artistic" items start out red (role play game avatars etc), and only get recoloured if I need them to be some other colour for some reason.

The Com W is pure practicallity - It's my logon ID and what shows up in the Chat. That way people recognise it as being me - which is good.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 05, 2007, 06:41:40 pm »

Yews are special to me.  Especially the female fruit-bearers.  There's some spirituality attached to this, but mostly I'm just really into plants and yews are one of my faves.

Also, my online nickname has always been some version of "yew".  I'm a Taurus.  Consistency matters.  Wink

Brina
ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 05, 2007, 07:02:10 pm »

A lot of full members have personalized avatars: some are photos, some are illustrations, some are typography or calligraphy; some are self-portraits, some are animals, some are abstract designs; some are totems or carry other spiritual meaning, others may not. All, if they're personalized, say something about you.

Well.... I'm still toying around in Photoshop for the right avatar.

At the moment, I have a small "square button" that has a purple background and a very lovely starburst (which is actually made of two layers of gradients, believe it or not). My name is scribed across it, well, 'cause it's my name. LOL. Purple's one of my two favorite colors - the other is blue. I did one in blue but the purple just looked better, more softer.

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)