The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2021, 09:39:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 09:39:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Avatar  (Read 26806 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: July 06, 2007, 10:08:06 am »

My avatar is linked to my name (nothing like being obvious LOL)

Originally it was full sized pictures, and I've always enjoyed using ones that members email me throughout the year. I can't always do it, but when I can, I do. They change on the solstice/equinox (or close to it) and I generally try to reflect the season when at all possible.

Now it's a bit of a challenge because the pic has to reduce down to 100 x 100 pixels (or whatever it is) and still be recognizable. That's really about it. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: July 06, 2007, 10:17:34 am »

So tell us about your avatar!
I made it on the Mini-Mizer at Reasonably Clever - IIRC, I originally found the site because it's the home of the Lego Tarot.

The hat, of course, is symbolic rather than literal.  Otherwise, it's pretty true-to-life.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 06, 2007, 11:10:21 am »

Mine is also a picture of me - according to my mother who painted it.

The full story is that it's based on an image from a meditation she had - the horse is Epona (which is how Epona appears to me), I'm dressed as Pippi Longstocking with a cauldron sitting behind me and my head is the sun. I'm not entirely sure why I'm dressed as Pippi Longstocking, but for some reason this is how my mother sees me. I did rock a Pippi costume my mother made for me one Halloween when I was about 6.

Anyway, I like it - it doesn't look exactly like me but it's close. It reminded me of my childhood Pippi love and I think Epona would approve of Pippi so that's why I've got it stuck here.

Melanie
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: July 06, 2007, 02:21:46 pm »

ROFL -- literally. This story just made my morning and probably my whole weekend.

lol, I'd hoped you'd get a kick out of it.   Smiley You know, to this day, I still don't know what it was supposed to mean, someone told me once, I'm sure, but first assosications stand.  Cheesy

Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: July 06, 2007, 02:36:16 pm »

Well, as I have been seeking my 'path', if you will, I have been looking at the various religions symbols.  I was seeking something I could identify with I guess.  One day while semi-meditating at my altar I had the urge to just draw every symbol I could.  So I cut strips of cotton, about 4" wide and 4' long and drew each symbol I could remember or find.  I posted one of these strips on each of the 4 walls of my sacred space and let them hang for about two weeks.  For some reason it let me purge the urge to scroll these symbols and focus on other things. 

About 10 days after I had hung the ribbons up, I was fiddling around with some cuttings form the Tree of Heaven saplings I removed from my yard.  Within about 15 minutes, this was the end result.  I first hung it pointing up, but that felt totally unnatural, so i turned it in the position here.  I have since removed the ribbons from my sacred place and folded them, sealed with wax, and put them away.

What does it mean? I have no friggen clue.  I made a smaller one for my car with green apple twigs and hung it from my mirror.  It brings me calm and focus.  My road rage has dropped substancially as well  Roll Eyes

Sometimes while looking at it I get the impression of a person, being bound and pulled in every direction at once.  But that's me.  It also kinda reminds me of a dream catcher.  Has anyone seen the symbol before?

~Frosty
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: July 06, 2007, 03:09:04 pm »

That's my Maizy Loo in her Daisy Maizy outfit.  She's not very fond of it, but she's not nearly as sad about having to wear it as she looks in that pic.  See, she's the Mistress of looking pitiful and she knows that the more she plays up the "woe is me, I'm wearing petals on my head" bit she'll get LOTS of attention from anyone who doesn't live with her on a regular basis.  Thus I pull out the outfit anytime I'm throwing a party so she can get lots of attention.  Plus it's just Cute!

Guen  ~:)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: July 06, 2007, 03:34:27 pm »

Sometimes while looking at it I get the impression of a person, being bound and pulled in every direction at once.  But that's me.  It also kinda reminds me of a dream catcher.  Has anyone seen the symbol before?

I keep thinking it's the top of a martini glass. *g*

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: July 06, 2007, 07:13:51 pm »

Has anyone seen the symbol before?

I haven't, though for some folks any abstract symbol made from twigs invokes the Blair Witch Project (ugh).

A downpointing equilateral triangle in Western symbol systems is usually related to the female and is the alchemical symbol for water...interestingly enough, considering your name on this list (I think "Seekingwater" is a very cool name, by the way).

Did you just change avatars? I recall you having a tree-like silhouette where the branches merged with the roots to form a circle. I liked that quite a bit, actually. But maybe I'm misremembering whose avatar that was.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 06, 2007, 07:24:16 pm »

Mine has changed a couple of times--but I don't think I'll change it again for a while at least.

It's a clipping from a Chronicles of Narnia banner--in the Lantern Waste just after Lucy has entered the wardrobe. The image of the lamppost in the snowy wood is an image that runs strong and deep in me, and remains my favourite image from the books. Even though I'm not Christian anymore, these books were my first "favourites" and remain among my favs today.

Plus, it could symbolize me.... Lucy wondering where to go next, what to do, but always knowing that she can follow the light of the lamppost.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: July 06, 2007, 10:55:03 pm »

I haven't, though for some folks any abstract symbol made from twigs invokes the Blair Witch Project (ugh).

A downpointing equilateral triangle in Western symbol systems is usually related to the female and is the alchemical symbol for water...interestingly enough, considering your name on this list (I think "Seekingwater" is a very cool name, by the way).

Did you just change avatars? I recall you having a tree-like silhouette where the branches merged with the roots to form a circle. I liked that quite a bit, actually. But maybe I'm misremembering whose avatar that was.

Yea, the whole BWP thing.  I suppose it will be a stigma associated with the occult for some time. 

For me, I'm always looking to make something, and with the insane heat this week (few days of temps up to 119*) I've been stuck inside.  I used the sticks more as a frame than anything.  I am very naturalist, I mean, I do get odd looks from people wondering why I have a rock in my living room... I love to create things (build, repair, break), but when I do something I rarely if ever follow any kind of plan.  I just do what seems natural, what flows. 

My name, and this avatar, just came out with no real thought as to what they meant at the time, but just something that seemed right.  The truth is, growing up, I was always near water (rivers, lakes, ponds) and powerful aspects of nature.  Now I live in this concrete city with manufactured landscapes and nature warped to humanities image, which seems all to often is one of despair.  I hate it here, and I cannot wait to move back to where I belong.
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: July 07, 2007, 12:17:02 am »

Mine is as close to a silver wolf as I could get (thanks to OnyxWolf for sending it to me) because the wolf is my, well, for lack of a better term, power animal.  I don't go by SilverWolf here as that name was taken when I signed up but I do use it in many other places.

When I went in for my surgery on 2 July 2007, the only one of my rings I wore was, in fact, my silver ring with the wolf on it. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:18:34 am by Celtee, Reason: changing phrasing » Logged

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: July 07, 2007, 01:39:43 am »

The image of the lamppost in the snowy wood is an image that runs strong and deep in me, and remains my favourite image from the books. Even though I'm not Christian anymore, these books were my first "favourites" and remain among my favs today.

To me it's a liminal image too - lighting the threshhold.  (Something I first thought of when I started leaving Hekate's offerings by lampposts, because She holds torches.) Smiley

Also, Lucy rules.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 07, 2007, 01:56:42 am »

My avatar is the FitzRandolph Gates of Princeton University, very cropped.  I originally made it for my LJ but I can't add any more icons until I have my paid account again.  So after discussing my appreciation of architecture in a thread, I decided to use it.

I've got a lot of associations with it.  I've recently realized how aware of place I am, and Princeton is one of my faves.  (Not my alma mater.  Just a good place to walk.  Smiley )  It's an example of a "set-apart" place, with others inside.  (I think one of the buildings in the picture is East Pyne Hall, which has a courtyard inside it.)  I'm interested in liminality and way-opening (huge understatement there), so a picture of a gate is a natural fit.  And the fact that's it's a gateway to academia reminds me of my own transition away from it (for now.)  Oh, and it reminds me of ambition, because it used to be mine. Smiley

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #43: July 07, 2007, 07:52:51 am »

I think that's one of the standard ones, from the new "Pagan symbols" set, so it's possible that you're remembering right AND someone else is using it.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: July 07, 2007, 09:50:02 am »

I'm interested in liminality and way-opening (huge understatement there), so a picture of a gate is a natural fit.  And the fact that's it's a gateway to academia reminds me of my own transition away from it (for now.) 

*nod nod* I'm really interested in liminality and gateways as well--I don't have the pleasure of actually going to a campus where there is a distinct "inside" and "outside" world. My university consists of several buildings over several blocks in downtown Philadelphia.

I'd love to see Princeton.  Smiley

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)