The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 06:02:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 06:02:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Avatar  (Read 26124 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #45: July 07, 2007, 03:45:22 pm »

So tell us about your avatar!

Mine is, as you can see, me.  The pic was taken by hubbs in response to a few others I'd taken looking for one to use for an 'about me' page on a website.  I don't smile when taking pictures of myself.  The only smiley ones you'll see are the dance ones that I wasn't aware were being taken. 

It's the only candid where I look even remotely friendly. 

Me in normal mode...

http://people.tribe.net/8bef96fd-72a5-42ac-8bec-34609b869783/photos/a499834e-f0d9-44e1-9728-5fb5bca42f6c

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: July 07, 2007, 07:37:23 pm »

To me it's a liminal image too - lighting the threshhold.  (Something I first thought of when I started leaving Hekate's offerings by lampposts, because She holds torches.) Smiley

Also, Lucy rules.
I love your avatar!  I have always loved pictures/paintings of doorways and windows. Especially when it is a little on the dark side inside and the colours on the outside seem so vivid!  I saved a beautiful picture of some cemetary gates in Wales..same sort of feeling for me.
Sparrow
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: July 07, 2007, 07:45:25 pm »

I just changed mine a couple of days ago, and I expect it will change again  Smiley  This one is of a silver princess daisy I have in my front garden that just came into bloom last week. I took some pictures of my garden to add the the "rose thread" and really liked this picture. It reminds me of the sun-which reminds me of fire-which reminds me of Brighid.  Cheesy
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #48: July 09, 2007, 03:09:06 am »

Mine developed during a thread on the Beehive board, just as we were moving here.  Someone who was learning to make jewelry (can't remember who now, sorry!) posted a thread asking for ideas for jewelry designs that pagans would like to see.  I responded that I'd love a "modern" version of Brighid's cross, to reflect my own ideas about Brighid's influence and impact on the world today.  I embellished the idea by saying it would be cool to have a triskele in the center.

Juni responded with a line drawing of *exactly* what I was seeing in my mind.  It's the white part of my current avatar.  Kinda spooky.  But very cool.

So when we moved here, I mentioned wanting to use that image as my avatar, and Dania offered to spiff it up with color.  She provided several options, all of which were very cool.  I chose the blue one because I find it calming, and it reminds me of water and of Brighid's healing associations.

This design has since sort of become my personal religions symbol.  Thesaly created a pendant for me, using the basic avatar design in silver, overlaid on a brass sunburst.  I have a variation of that same design tattooed on my left wrist.

My sig pic is a newer addition, created by Beachglass.  The background is based on the design of the Battersea Shield, and blue again for water.  The letters are a light amber, which puts me in mind of candle light.

It's all about Brighid.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #49: July 09, 2007, 02:45:25 pm »

And we all know mine is the Demonspawn Smiley
Mr oh so small and delicate with absolutely NO attitude!

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #50: July 10, 2007, 12:52:04 am »

Mine is just designed to match my username.  I always liked collecting beachglass as a kid, and I thought it was sort of appropriate for me... starts off as bits of broken Coke bottle, goes across the ocean and back, getting changed in the process.

The Korean text on it says either "pada yoori" or "yoori pada," both of which just mean beachglass.  I'll probably change that after I get back.

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: July 10, 2007, 01:31:34 pm »

The Korean text on it says either "pada yoori" or "yoori pada," both of which just mean beachglass.  I'll probably change that after I get back.

Please don't.  Smiley  I know at a (half) glance who's post I'm reading and/or replying to because your avatar is so intrinsically you.  I do like your avatar and have often wondered what language the "squiggles" were in and what they mean.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: July 10, 2007, 02:00:06 pm »

*nod nod* I'm really interested in liminality and gateways as well--I don't have the pleasure of actually going to a campus where there is a distinct "inside" and "outside" world. My university consists of several buildings over several blocks in downtown Philadelphia.

I'd love to see Princeton.  Smiley

It's gorgeous.  I realized last visit (just driving through) that, you know, there's a town there too.  Neato old houses all around.  And a bead store within line of sight of those gates (if you turned around from where the photographer was standing). Wink

My college was less isolated, although it did have a distinct campus with its own distinct thresholds.  (No gates, though.)  When I was starting to explore my awareness of place (again), I spent a lot of time walking around campus.  And then I made LJ icons of the places I couldn't walk around at the moment.  Smiley

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: July 10, 2007, 06:54:29 pm »

I love your avatar!  I have always loved pictures/paintings of doorways and windows. Especially when it is a little on the dark side inside and the colours on the outside seem so vivid!  I saved a beautiful picture of some cemetary gates in Wales..same sort of feeling for me.

Thank you!  Gates and doors have been images in my writing before I was aware of it - one of those "oh..." things.

Do you have a link to that Wales picture?  It sounds neat.

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #54: July 11, 2007, 01:20:40 am »

Please don't.  Smiley  I know at a (half) glance who's post I'm reading and/or replying to because your avatar is so intrinsically you.  I do like your avatar and have often wondered what language the "squiggles" were in and what they mean.  Smiley

Aww, thanks Celtee.  I was really only thinking of taking out the Korean text; I'd still stick with the beachglass pic.  But, you know, I might never get around to it anyway.  Cheesy

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: July 11, 2007, 12:16:10 pm »

A lot of full members have personalized avatars: some are photos, some are illustrations, some are typography or calligraphy; some are self-portraits, some are animals, some are abstract designs; some are totems or carry other spiritual meaning, others may not. All, if they're personalized, say something about you.

I found this avatar on The Cauldron library. I chose it because I have a great deal of interest in wormholes, timewarps and spacewarps, and I like Stargate. I believe that many localities have (mostly dormant) wormhole networks set up by shamans of old and that if need be, we who are magickal can re-activate them and use them, probably astrally but maybe also physically. If we can only work out how... I believed this after I had a vision where I saw an oak tree in a park with a large X carved into it's bark and scarred over, marking the entrance to a wormhole network. When I went there IRL, to this location, lo and behold I saw the oak tree inscribed with a large X, just as I had seen it... Shocked Shocked Shocked

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"
Sparrow
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: July 11, 2007, 01:18:46 pm »

Thank you!  Gates and doors have been images in my writing before I was aware of it - one of those "oh..." things.

Do you have a link to that Wales picture?  It sounds neat.

My scanner died but I'll took around on line and see if I can find it. The cemetary is very old (can't remember the name at the moment) and is kind of a tourist attraction so I imagine I should be able to find it or something similar to it on line.
Sparrow
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: July 11, 2007, 02:10:30 pm »

My scanner died but I'll took around on line and see if I can find it. The cemetary is very old (can't remember the name at the moment) and is kind of a tourist attraction so I imagine I should be able to find it or something similar to it on line.

From what I can tell, my picture is of this place   http://www.thinplaces.net/images/PICemeteryPath.jpg  St Brynach's Chapel  but the angle and lighting are different here. I'll keep looking for a better picture.

the web site I got this photo from is this: http://www.thinplaces.net/nevern.htm which looks like a neat little site. It seems she is working on a book about these places and is keeping a blog about her travels.
Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: July 12, 2007, 07:13:44 pm »

From what I can tell, my picture is of this place   http://www.thinplaces.net/images/PICemeteryPath.jpg  St Brynach's Chapel  but the angle and lighting are different here. I'll keep looking for a better picture.

Still, neat!  Thanks.

the web site I got this photo from is this: http://www.thinplaces.net/nevern.htm which looks like a neat little site. It seems she is working on a book about these places and is keeping a blog about her travels.

That site does look neat.  I love the pictures of the ancient yews, too.  I know that yews can be trees, but the ones I generally see (with a few exceptions) are little "foundation planting" bushes.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: July 14, 2007, 07:25:26 am »

It's a self-portrait.  In pencil.

Okay, it snot. Wink

December 1998, I received in the mail a Canon AE-1 from my late uncle's estate.  Picking up two rolls of black and white film, I began shooting.  What you see is an excerpt from a photo of Eminent, one of my charges at the time, being ridden by an Olympic medalist (trainer).  She even used the full pic on her homepage for some years.

You can see the full pic here.

Not anymore!  This my equine daughter, born five past midnight, Friday, July 13th, 2007.  She is 1/4 each Friesian, Polish Arabian, American Saddlebred, and Dutch Warmblood. Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)