The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 01, 2020, 09:55:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2020, 09:55:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Druids & Freemasons  (Read 5049 times)
Asharti
Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2009, 12:29:11 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

I am bound to the arrow maker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 06, 2007, 01:22:33 am »

Merry Meet!

A few questions on my mind, I just remembered that my partner is a Druid & his Grandfather was a Freemason...can anybody direct me to some infomation on them, not so much books but articals that i can print off and get an idea of what its all about. Also is anyone here one themself or know of someone who is a Druid or Freemason?

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 06, 2007, 07:11:29 am »

Merry Meet!

A few questions on my mind, I just remembered that my partner is a Druid & his Grandfather was a Freemason...can anybody direct me to some infomation on them, not so much books but articals that i can print off and get an idea of what its all about. Also is anyone here one themself or know of someone who is a Druid or Freemason?

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

THe freemasons are not a religion, they are a philanthropic group with playacting, as well as part of the OLD BOys Network, that many business clubs are.  I know a few freemasons and read one's magazine, that's supposed to be secret information.  It looked like the Rotarian, So and So has this honor, this group raised this much money for this charity, and the shriners drove thier little clown trikes in a parade with some of the more photogenic kids from the hospital, isn't that great, and by the way, their hospital built this new wing.  I accept that the rituals are secret, it's a grown up version of the secret handshakes and signals for the club..  They may have originally been something else, but they were never a secret pagan club or anything like that.

There's a druid protogrove in my town.  When my group thought about a public lammas ritual, we bandyed about different places, when someone mentioned the Japanese garden, someone else said, that's Druid territory.  THat's were they have their rituals.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 06, 2007, 07:39:27 am »

THe freemasons are not a religion, they are a philanthropic group with playacting, as well as part of the OLD BOys Network, that many business clubs are.  I know a few freemasons and read one's magazine, that's supposed to be secret information. 
(snip)

Philanthropic and philosophical group.

Part of the charity work dates back to times Before there were any government programs for the aged, sick etc. Litterally hundreds of fraternal / (female version) organizations exist /existed that helped members and their families if something happened to them.

The philosophy still happens, but takes involvement. A lot of that is like Wicca, in that it's members only.

I'm somewhat surprised that the magazine would be considered secret in your friends jurisdiction.

There are / were Druid groups that spun off of Freemasonry and it's other off-shoots. That's probably the link the OP was thinking of.

Peter
MM
Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 06, 2007, 10:15:55 am »

THe freemasons are not a religion, they are a philanthropic group with playacting, as well as part of the OLD BOys Network, that many business clubs are. 

The Freemasons I have ran up against in my organization don't mess around.  They are an entity within the org that  can and will do what it wants (normal law, rules and regs generally don't apply to them).  Essentially, they are untouchable...only in extreme cases when they act out violently against another in public. 

If one is in trouble they lock ranks and close in on the person/department who is causing the member trouble.  (Even the IG will not mess with them anymore.)  Anyone that has gone up against them has been fired.  They know their power, and use it. 

It is not unlike how Bush acts, with his comments such as "I'm the decider", and his actions such as standing beside one of his appointments no matter how much of a crap-storm they may be involved in.

This has been my experiance, I don't know about other groups of them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:17:49 am by Seekingwater » Logged
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 06, 2007, 11:30:55 am »

Merry Meet!

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti
Don't know much about Masons.  The druids I'm familiar with: 

Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship www.adf.org
Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids druidry.org

Both sites should have some articles for you.

I'm a new member of ADF, and I am not aware of any Masonic connections.  I've only looked at OBOD a little, but they don't seem particularly Mason-y either. 

A quick google of Druids + Masons also brought up the Ancient Order of Druids in America www.aoda.org and mention of an Irish branch of Masons that called themselves druids.

There are a lot of different druidic organizations and philosphies.  I'd say google is your friend, at least to start with.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 06, 2007, 12:20:41 pm »

The Freemasons I have ran up against in my organization don't mess around.  They are an entity within the org that  can and will do what it wants (normal law, rules and regs generally don't apply to them).  Essentially, they are untouchable...only in extreme cases when they act out violently against another in public. 

It doesn't change the fact, though, that Freemasonry isn't a religion.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 06, 2007, 12:23:44 pm »

If one is in trouble they lock ranks and close in on the person/department who is causing the member trouble.  (Even the IG will not mess with them anymore.)  Anyone that has gone up against them has been fired.  They know their power, and use it. 

And what organization is it that they wield so much power? 
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: July 06, 2007, 12:50:30 pm »

The Illuminati!

*cue scary music*

Smiley
Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 06, 2007, 02:13:32 pm »

*derails topic for a minute*
Meh, I don't want to go into it.  But what is interesting they are getting pressure from the burgeoning Latino 'old boys network'.  While the latter is not organized as the Fms, they have the loyalty structure.  I'm just buying my time until I can resign, and keeping my head down  Tongue
*puts topic back on track*
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 08, 2007, 11:35:05 pm »

There's a druid protogrove in my town.  When my group thought about a public lammas ritual, we bandyed about different places, when someone mentioned the Japanese garden, someone else said, that's Druid territory.  THat's were they have their rituals.

And I'd go, "The city owns it. Not them." Or whoever else owns it. Its public property and everyone has a right to be there.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 09, 2007, 12:16:33 am »

It is not unlike how Bush acts, with his comments such as "I'm the decider", and his actions such as standing beside one of his appointments no matter how much of a crap-storm they may be involved in.

Isnt Bush a Mason?  Seems like the History Channel or some such has said as much.  Dont know for sure of course.  But have seen shows saying he is.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 09, 2007, 07:23:32 am »

Isnt Bush a Mason?  Seems like the History Channel or some such has said as much.  Dont know for sure of course.  But have seen shows saying he is.

Gina

I don't think he is.  I think he is a member of a group, I forget the name.  Something about a skull or bones.  But it's more an old boys network for rich guys going to the university.  But they aren't the masons.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 09, 2007, 07:29:19 am »

I don't think he is.  I think he is a member of a group, I forget the name.  Something about a skull or bones.  But it's more an old boys network for rich guys going to the university.  But they aren't the masons.

The group is Skull and Bones. It's a college frat, ala Animal House.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 09, 2007, 07:43:13 am »

The group is Skull and Bones. It's a college frat, ala Animal House.

Thank you Sailor Tech.  That could have bugged me all day. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 09, 2007, 08:06:31 am »

And I'd go, "The city owns it. Not them." Or whoever else owns it. Its public property and everyone has a right to be there.

Yeah, but they respect crystal lake park labyrinth as witch territory on the sabbats and we respect the japanese garden as druid territory, and when we don't have rituals at the same time, we  sometimes even visit each other.  That way we only have to worry about non pagan groups when reserving space.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)