The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 05:42:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 05:42:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When you Lose Touch...  (Read 6364 times)
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 27, 2008, 05:11:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: mishmoshmillymosh

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 06, 2007, 06:44:42 pm »

Hello all, been a while, hasn't it?  I missed you.

We all have dry spells.  In different degrees we lose touch with that which makes us feel in touch with the world around us.  Perhaps the rituals lose meaning, perhaps the trees don't sing, perhaps we're just too tired to raise our arms in celebration...

What is this?  Are we doing something wrong?  Is it time for  a change?  Must we work harder?

What do you do?  What have you personally done to nurse/force/beg the spirit back into your practice?

ErickaJo

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 06, 2007, 06:46:53 pm »

Hey there! Totally not anything to do with your post except to say we're glad to see you. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 06, 2007, 06:55:41 pm »

Hey there! Totally not anything to do with your post except to say we're glad to see you. Smiley

It's good to see you too, Lyric.  Your current fox is adorable.  I've been feeling a little lost lately, which is weird because things are going really good.  I've got to thank you and Randall for making this such a comforting home to return to Smiley

ErickaJo
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 06, 2007, 06:58:40 pm »

It's good to see you too, Lyric.  Your current fox is adorable.  I've been feeling a little lost lately, which is weird because things are going really good.  I've got to thank you and Randall for making this such a comforting home to return to Smiley

Dark night of the soul sort of thing, eh? I hate those.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 06, 2007, 07:24:16 pm »

Dark night of the soul sort of thing, eh? I hate those.

Yeah, but I found that I can still make a fist, so there's hope, right?  There's something that's waiting for me to wake up and take notice, and I think it's been there for a while.  I only just realized it.  I've been tuning in and then fading out for a few years now.  I want to stay.

ErickaJo
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 06, 2007, 07:46:41 pm »

We've missed you too. Wink

What is this?  Are we doing something wrong?  Is it time for  a change?  Must we work harder?

I don't think there is any one answer to this. I usually take a break from doing anything that isn't absolutely required. They I force myself to do what I'm supposed to be doing. If that doesn't work, I try changing what I'm doing somewhat (different rituals or prayers perhaps -- maybe at a different time or place). If nothing works, it is probably time for some serious thought to if there is some deeper reason why I'm not interested. Reaching the latter point repeatedly is how I ended up leaving Christianity.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 06, 2007, 08:26:27 pm »

What do you do?  What have you personally done to nurse/force/beg the spirit back into your practice?

I'm kind of going through one of those right now... but it's not so much a "dark night of the soul" as it is "a very foggy day of the soul." I feel as though I've reached a certain point in my journey, where I have learned a great deal, but I'm not sure of what needs to be done next. So much of my path has been "Okay, now that I've done this, this needs to be done," and given, there is still a great deal to be done, but certain... questions need answering before it can get done, and I'm clueless. So much of my path has been a connect-the-dots type of thing, and though I can tell that the shape I thought I was creating is definitely much different from what I thought, I've no idea where the next dot is.

If that makes any sense.  Undecided

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 06, 2007, 08:44:28 pm »

I'm kind of going through one of those right now... but it's not so much a "dark night of the soul" as it is "a very foggy day of the soul." I feel as though I've reached a certain point in my journey, where I have learned a great deal, but I'm not sure of what needs to be done next. 

I can agree to that.  Right now it seems like the spiritual is on the down side.  On the other hand I'm starting to do a few simple craft things that I have ment to learn for some time. Add to that computer problems and I find myself less and less at the Cauldron.  Maybe after summer passes things will turn again.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: July 06, 2007, 10:13:32 pm »

First of all, missed you too!

And on topic.  I've been there a few times.  Sometimes it's a sign that I'm in totally the wrong place and trying to force myself into a mold that just doesn't work.  If it never sings, it's time to find something that does.

OTOH, sometimes it's a sign that I need to pay attention to something else.  The physical, maybe, or the emotional.

I think it's a sign that there's *something* not right, but it's not necessarily a spiritual thing that's wrong.  Just that it's a sign something's wrong.

Good luck figuring it out, though.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 06, 2007, 11:59:41 pm »

Welcome back! I wondered what had happened to ya and hoped you were ok.  Wink

What do I do?  I step away from trying to find my way and get into touch with a really good friend and either spend time with her or talk to her on the phone.

Once I've connected, or reconnected, with her, I'm better able to put things back into perspective and head off again. However, I might totally change direction for a while and go off on some other tangent but I always seem to return to my roots, my path.

Hope this helps.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 07, 2007, 12:03:43 am »

Sorry, we haven't met but hello all the same  Wink

Quote from: ErickaJo
We all have dry spells.  In different degrees we lose touch with that which makes us feel in touch with the world around us.  Perhaps the rituals lose meaning, perhaps the trees don't sing, perhaps we're just too tired to raise our arms in celebration...

Yup, been there done that, got stuck for the better part of 8 years.  In my case the doldrums of everyday life slowly sapped my energy and attention until there was nothing left but punching the time clock.  It took a departmental layoff and close to a year of healing before I was able to lift my head up far enough to see the horizon again.

Who's to say there's anything really wrong?  From my perspective life is cyclic, much like a pendulum.  In order for it to work it needs to swing free.  Trying to force the moment into what we want it to be rather than accepting it for what it is robs us of the opportunity to enjoy what's actually there.  I know, I know, sounds like a fortune cookie; and while I may not get it right all the time I'm working on it.

Above and beyond the fortune cookie wisdom, I'd have to say that Randall and Heartshadow are right.  It could be a symptom of being in the wrong place for you.  Whatever that 'place' may be.

I just change my focus.  Read something different, pick up a new craft I'd heard of or one I'd put down awhile back.  You're already doing something along those lines just by jumping back in here.  Reading various threads of interest to you is enough to spark movement on different levels.

Eh, take it for what it's worth... it's late and I'm in an odd space.  None of this may be making any sense outside of my own cranium...

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 07, 2007, 02:48:20 pm »

Eh, take it for what it's worth... it's late and I'm in an odd space.  None of this may be making any sense outside of my own cranium...

No, sense is being made, and I thank you for it.  I need to figure out where I'm supposed to be.  Remember being at the store with a parent, and becoming engrossed in something?  You look up, and they're gone.  I feel a bit like that.

I've got to sit down and make a spiritual budget spreadsheet, I think.  Things have changed for me in the last year, and it's all been good.  Great man, great job, pretty good rental spot (that I'll take until this landlord changes things on me).  With the shift I need to figure out where the spirituality fits.  And while I'm at it, what is my spirituality?  I guess I can be glad that I've admitted that I'm a blank slate, and I'm ready to rework myself, but the road ahead looks long. 

Not lonely, though.  Never lonely here Smiley

ErickaJo
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 07, 2007, 04:55:26 pm »

I take a good hard look at what I'm doing, and what brings me joy, and what doesn't.

I suspect this comes from having enough friends who are depression prone that I'm used to having "Does the stuff that used to make you happy no longer do so?" as a diagnostic factor in my head. Even though I'm not particularly depression prone, I've found the same question works really well as a "Am I way too burned out?" check.

So, first thing I do, is figure out what brings me joy and what doesn't. I sleep on that. I eat a decent meal. Then I think about it again. I go and check with a close friend or two, to make sure I'm not missing something. (There have been times they've gone "Erm. Jen? You've just done things A-K. Duh, you're tired." )

Sometimes that produces the answer - if I've been running ragged for months, I make a deliberate attempt to back off, recoup, recover, and see how I feel about things then. Sometimes I'll shake things up and try something different. If I can't figure out what's going on, I usually take a week or two to feed my brain ideas (reading, discussion, trying different things, maybe some divination as to things to keep in mind) and repeat the process until something gives. (And again, sometimes that's "You're doing way too much. Pick 3 of these 5 things.")

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2019, 02:44:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 07, 2007, 05:29:03 pm »

Everyone else is already saying the sorts of things I would say, advice-wise, so I'll just join in the "welcome back".  I was actually thinking about you recently (probably a subconscious/delayed effect from some poking about I was doing in the archives) and wondering where you'd got to.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 07, 2007, 09:03:19 pm »

I think it's a common reaction. For me, that sort of feeling always happens right after I've accomplished a goal I've set for myself. It's like, OK I've accomplished it, now what? It's that feeling that can leave me a little like I'm adrift in a sea without a paddle, you know?

I like your idea of making a spiritual budget. Things like that can give you the focus you need to forge ahead after so many changes!

Sasha

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)