The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 22, 2021, 07:52:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2021, 07:52:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magic and Religion  (Read 22992 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 09, 2007, 01:18:19 pm »

How does magic play in with your religion?  Does it at all?

If it doesn't, why not?  If it does, why?  Is it required to believe in magic to be a member of your faith?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 09, 2007, 01:30:13 pm »

If it doesn't, why not?  If it does, why?  Is it required to believe in magic to be a member of your faith?

It doesn't.  For me, magic and religion are separate.  I do not invoke deities during spell work.  I don't know if I can articulate why, but it has to do with my belief that magic is work *I* do to utilize energy; while religion is about my relationship with my deity(ies) and what *they* do or *we* do together.  (I'm not sure that makes sense outside my head.) 

There are certainly times when I use magic AND prayer to approach the same problem.  But not in conjunction with each other.

A belief in magic is certainly compatible with my path -- maybe even helpful.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Masklyn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 25, 2007, 12:15:27 am

Religion: Panentheistic Celtic Pagan

Cheesy self-created icon, but I do look like this.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 09, 2007, 01:45:42 pm »

That all really depends on your definition of "magic", right? In my belief, magic and prayer are synonyms.

Bydand,

Masklyn Arathorn (*5)

"It matters not in what you believe, it only matters in how you live and act. Those who preach but do not live their words are the true blasphemers of the world." -- Masklyn Arathorn
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 09, 2007, 02:48:34 pm »

Not really, magic is separate from my religion. While I may call on the Gods in my magic, Hellenic religion does not incorporate magic into the religion itself. In fact, it looks upon magic with some suspicion as it can be used for ill so easily.

Why not?  For the same reason that biology or auto repair or printing books aren't a part of my religion. While these are all things people do and one may ask the Gods for aid, they aren't things done for the Gods.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sunkissed
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2014, 08:05:55 pm

Religion: Eccentric Neo-Pagan Dirt-Worshipper

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 09, 2007, 10:24:01 pm »

Magic has nothing to do with my own personal practice. I am interested in it and enjoy learning about it (particularly ceremonial magic) and I have done workings before but in my day to day spiritual life it plays no role.

My own path focuses heavily on prayerful worship of Deity, honoring ancestors and connecting with local land spirits. I don't consider any of that to be magical (although I do trancework regularly and the I suppose the shamanic aspects of some trancework could be considered a type of magic although I wouldn't classify it as such in my case). Since I seem to be the only member of my religion so far I think it's fair to say that it's not required. Wink

Sunkissed
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 09, 2007, 10:31:14 pm »

It really has no role in my path; one can believe or disbelief in it, and even if one believes in it they don't have to practice it. I myself am not really sure what I believe on the subject.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 10, 2007, 01:00:53 am »

Your question set in motion a whole 'nother train of thought - I've got several ways in which I can answer the question, "What is your religion?" depending on the context, so I wind up revisiting the subject at regular intervals.  A really complete answer to your question will have to wait until I chew on this revisitation some (and may wind up starting a different thread rather than being added to this one, depending where it goes - we'll see.)

The quick and dirty answer is that magic is integral to my religion - in this instance, "religious witchcraft" is the contextually relevant religion to cite, with LibCraft as a tradition thereof.  Magic is active participation in the dance of all-that-is, and is therefore a celebration of being part of that dance; in this way, magic is an act of worship.  (This is the context in which the word "worship" comes most comfortably to me.)  Like many who've answered, magic is something I do, not something I ask my deities to do for me (though there are various ways they might be involved), but unlike many others, this doesn't put a separation between religion and magic for me.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
ginnflynn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2009, 08:54:49 pm

Religion: Generic Pagan/Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 10, 2007, 02:57:12 am »

I'm still working on figuring out what makes sense for me, so I don't know that I have a religion so much as a set of theories I'm working with (and constantly tweaking).  Magick does have a place in my spirituality, though I'm still not sure exactly what that place is.  Right now, it's part comfort, part experiment, part semi-scary thing (because I'm realizing that it's just not something I can learn and be great at from a book; I have to practice it, which means mistakes are pretty much inevitable).

I guess that's about as far as I've gotten so far; I'm not even sure it answers your question lol.  It was a good question to ponder, though.

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 10, 2007, 11:50:10 am »

Magic is not a part of my religion, however, on the rare occasions that I do work magic, I include my religion as a big part of it. I do it within the context of my religious practices.

April
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 14, 2007, 06:14:45 pm

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 10, 2007, 01:33:57 pm »

For me, magic is about working with what God has given us.  So to work in magic is a way to connect with the devine with concious intent.  It's hard for me to seperate the devine from everything else.  I feel that there is magic in everything.  It's there even when I'm not thinking about it. 

So therefore, I am working with it, living with it, on a daily basis.  But to open up your conciousness to it and to work with intent is what I think we are talking about here.  So yes, magic is a part of my religion.  It's one of the ways I connect with my diety and work mindfully within my place in existence.   
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 10, 2007, 03:57:02 pm »

Well, I don't really have a religion per se.  I have what I think of as more of a spiritual practice.  I work solitary so that kinda nixes the whole community based concept of 'religion'.  For me, there is no hard distinction between my spiritual practice and magic.  They're more overlapping circles, as in a venn diagram.  I work on connecting with the Divine on a daily basis, seeing the ebb and flow of energies and consciousnesses around me and using techniques to work with them.  These techniques run the gamut from prayer to ritual but as the intent is to bring myself into greater harmony with the Divine I don't differentiate strongly between them.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 10, 2007, 06:41:08 pm »

My answer to that is kind of off-kilter, and is one of the major reasons I'm a Hellenic Pagan, not a Hellenic Recon.   Cheesy

First, from what we can discern of "mainstream" Hellenic religious practice, magic was not incorporated into it, and, as Randall says, people tended to be suspicious.  However, it's worth remembering that that "mainstream" actually means "what we have written records for," and most of those written records for Greek attitudes are from educated urbanites suspicious or condescending with regard to folk traditions.   We do have an absolute BOATLOAD of evidence, archaeological and otherwise, that ancient Greeks did practice magic -- and the bulk of those spells invoked the gods.  So, while it may be accurate to say that "official" Greek religious practice, insofar as we can tell what "official" is, didn't incorporate what we and the Greeks would have thought of as "magic," it's also accurate to say that many Greek *magic practitioners* had no qualms about integrating their magic with aspects of religion, such as calling upon the gods to help them with their spells.  There's some sense, among the Greeks, that "magic" is "that which falls outside 'official' religious practice" -- in other words, it's folk stuff.  However, you also have a strain of "natural philosophy" among educated sorts, which talks about the magical properties of various natural materials (herbs, rocks, animal bits, etc.) -- it's "magic," but it didn't have the same valences as the magic that average Greeks were suspicious of, because the people doing it were not socially fringe-y.    You also have the learned Hermetic traditions as well.  So it's complicated.  (I don't have my books on the subject at hand, otherwise I'd give you terms and stuff.  *g*)  While it's fair to say that magic wasn't an integral part of Greek religion, religion *was* a part of Greek magical practice, and so combining the two is hardly without precedent -- if you're starting from the perspective of a Greek magical practitioner. 

Recon insistence that never the twain shall meet has a LOT more to do with 'WE'RE NOT WICCANS!!!" than it does with Greek history and practice.  The very fact that certain gods -- Hermes, Hekate -- were explicitly connected with magical practices makes it difficult to argue that magic and religion were ALWAYS 100% separate spheres.  If someone wanted to reconstruct some kind of ancient Greek folk magical-religious tradition, I think it could probably be done, if you're willing to fill in the gaps with adaptations of modern Mediterranean folk magic; after all, the pile of evidence for Greek magical practice can't be much smaller than the ENTIRETY of evidence for Celtic religious practice, and the Celtic Recons do just fine.   

For myself, I was encouraged to learn hoodoo by Hermes; I've got a strong sense of "place" when it comes to magic, and tend to think that what will work best, for me, is magic that's geared toward the place i live, and I live in hoodoo country.  (I feel differently, obviously, about religion.  *g*)  Some of the basic assumptions of hoodoo overlap with certain assumptions of strains of Greek magic; also, since hoodoo is a set of techniques, it's something that can be combined with any number of actual religious beliefs.  I don't incorporate magic into my straight religious practice, but my magical practice sometimes involves elements of my religion.  I am in no way claiming that this practice is Recon -- I'm not a Recon! -- or even close, though i do think that if I were using *Greek* magical systems, then I wouldn't be outside of the Recon realm, if that makes sense, no matter what more "orthodox" Recon types might say.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 06:43:18 pm by catja6 » Logged
cerddorion
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 15, 2007, 06:59:39 pm

Religion: Welsh/Celtic path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 10, 2007, 07:10:15 pm »

I think it might, but it didn't at first.  In fact, the whole magic/k thing even put me off of paganism because of the connotations that come with it.  This is, of course, a result of terrible misconceptions, my faulty identification of Silver Ravenwolf with "what Wiccans think", and of course, the whole misconception that Paganism==Wicca.  I'm a little more knowledgable now, although maybe not by much :-).

I now look at magic as anything done with our manipulation that we don't understand and/or can't explain scientifically.  If a sorcerer/druid in the ancient times blessed a vial of ammonia and rubbed it on a silver spoon, and the spoon became a mirror of perfect clarity, he might be seen to onlookers as performing magic.  We know by today's scientific process that this is due to the properties of silver and ammonia, and this is in fact how many mirrors are made.  Who knows if this manipulation of energy that most Wiccans call magic/k might be explained some time from now, by some future equivalent of Einstein, as some new version of the theory of relativity?

If we could explain everything scientifically and knew everything about how the world worked, there wouldn't be much of a place for the gods and religion.  Thus, in my eyes, there isn't much place for a religion, or at least one that fulfills my needs, that doesn't account for my definition of magic.  It's not the primary purpose I'm religious, but it does certainly factor in.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 07:24:35 pm by cerddorion » Logged
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 10, 2007, 07:30:31 pm »

Magic can play a part in my religion and does for many of the people I've communicated with.  For the reconstructionists, there is ample evidence of magic being used by the ancients.  Magic is not a part of my own religious practices though.  I don't feel a pull toward using it and my beliefs on it are unclear.  I'm not even sure if I believe in it some days.   Undecided

Is belief in magic required?  I would say no, but there may be people who would disagree.  It could also depend on the definition of magic being used.

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
ginnflynn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2009, 08:54:49 pm

Religion: Generic Pagan/Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 10, 2007, 08:39:15 pm »

For me, there is no hard distinction between my spiritual practice and magic.  They're more overlapping circles, as in a venn diagram. 

Oooo, that's a really good way of putting it.  Much more articulate than what I came up with. Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)