The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 30, 2020, 12:21:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 12:21:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reincarnation and Past Lives  (Read 5110 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 07, 2007, 10:52:47 am »

Because I'm curious, and surprisingly I don't see another topic like it, though I may be missing it.

Do you believe in past lives, and/or reincarnation? Does one necessarily include the other? If you do believe in past lives, have you ever tried to discover what they were? What does karma have to do with this issue? Is reincarnation limited to the earthly plane, or do you think that past lives can, and have, been lived on the spiritual plane?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

--Finn

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 07, 2007, 11:01:58 am »

Because I'm curious, and surprisingly I don't see another topic like it, though I may be missing it.

And because I paid a visit to this site: http://www.thebigview.com/pastlife/, where I received this reading:

"I don't know how you feel about it, but you were male in your last earthly incarnation.You were born somewhere in the territory of modern Central Africa around the year 575. Your profession was that of a librarian, priest or keeper of tribal relics.

Your brief psychological profile in your past life:
Seeker of truth and wisdom. You could have seen your future lives. Others perceived you as an idealist illuminating path to future.

The lesson that your last past life brought to your present incarnation:
Your lesson is the development and expansion of your mental consciousness. Find a good teacher and spend a good part of your time and energy on learning from his wisdom.

Do you remember now?"

My initial reaction was of course that this was complete bunk. No past life reading based solely on a birthdate can have any real use whatsoever. Right?

However, my thoughts began churning when I read the analysis, particularly that first line: "I don't know how you feel about it, but you were male in your last earthly incarnation." This was slightly eerie for me, because I have for a long time now thought, with not a great deal of seriousness, that I was male in one of my most recent... erm... lives. (I'm not male, in case you don't know already)

I also have a strange interest in the library, and was surprised to see that next line crop up, though in 575, I'm not sure there were many libraries in the deep central darkness of Africa. As for the rest of it, it comes as no real surprise because, well, seeking wisdom and truth, and illumination, is the core of this life, and if I have had past lives, then it would probably have been a core there.

All in all, I'm not prepared to accept this reading as accurate or anything--too many "complete nonsense" radars are going off for that. But it did inspire some thought, and led me to ask the above questions.

Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 07, 2007, 11:16:45 am »

Do you believe in past lives, and/or reincarnation? Does one necessarily include the other? If you do believe in past lives, have you ever tried to discover what they were? What does karma have to do with this issue? Is reincarnation limited to the earthly plane, or do you think that past lives can, and have, been lived on the spiritual plane?

--Finn

I don't have any firm beliefs on reincarnation or past lives but I like to wonder about it from time to time. 

I tend to have deja vu quite often. Seems to me I've heard that there is a scientific explanation for that, but at times I have wondered if it could be past life related.

I believe that spirits/souls do indeed exist and we may reincarnate if we choose to. Not that we have to. And I think that you could spend as long as you want on that spiritual plane before you chose to reincarnate. Hundreds or thousands of years or immediately after death or not at all, if that's what you chose. I believe spirits exist forever so I imagine that they are somewhere when they aren't occupying bodies or things. I just don't know where that place would be. I have occasionally wondered if my Grandmother reincarnated as my oldest daughter. It's more likely that they are just similar. They have similar features and are/were both hell raisers.  Cheesy

Sparrow
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 07, 2007, 11:31:08 am »

All in all, I'm not prepared to accept this reading as accurate or anything--too many "complete nonsense" radars are going off for that. But it did inspire some thought, and led me to ask the above questions.

I know what you mean. I guess you have to go on gut feeling with this kind of thing.

In regards to the library thing... they probably didn't resemble our libraries today but I've read that many *important* writings were left for safekeeping in many places in Africa.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 07, 2007, 12:17:23 pm »

--Finn

Yes and no - nothing like a direct answer!

It is all a bit complicated, hard to explain, but I'll try.......

I do believe in reincarnation, just not in the "traditional" sense.  A Buddhist once told me he believed that you can come back to learn lessons you didn't the first (2nd, 3rd, etc.) time around and you get to choose the lessons you want to learn. Sort of a way to explain why bad things happen to good people I suppose. And I know several others who have this view as well.

My view is that you don't come back exactly. But an aspect of you can come back. When you die you pass into other realms of existence. In one realm you can send your energy back as a spiritual lifeforce. You can simultaneously exist in various realms. But may not be conscience of this, depending on the realm.  The you of other realms can be as involved or non-involved with the Earthly you as desired. Hence, you are sort of your own guardian spirit in a way. You can also be thought of as your own spiritual "parent" and this "parent" can have other you's (children) running about as well. I also believe that it is possible to be in touch with the other you's in other realms if you are receptive and they are willing.

Ever play a computer role playing game where you create characters in different worlds? It's sort of like that in a way.

I have many memories that are not my own, that I believe are memories of such a spiritual parent and spiritual siblings (which are all really just aspects of me).

So, have I throughly made a mess of explaining this or does it slightly make sense?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 07, 2007, 04:36:01 pm »

<snip>
So, have I throughly made a mess of explaining this or does it slightly make sense?

Makes sense to me. Actually pretty much like what I believe--though the "ourselves as spiritual parents" thing was new, but maybe that just fits into the subtle bodies (etheric, astral, etc) hypothesis. I don't know.

This is why, even though I believe in reincarnation, the thought of death depresses me--because I'll never be me again. And I like me. (Well, yeah, I'm a Leo.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 07, 2007, 04:47:04 pm »

And because I paid a visit to this site: http://www.thebigview.com/pastlife/, where I received this reading:

<snip>

I went and did the same thing (I'm such a band-wagoner).

This is my "diagnosis":

I don't know how you feel about it, but you were female in your last earthly incarnation.You were born somewhere in the territory of modern Saudi Arabia around the year 1200. Your profession was that of a trainer or holder of fine animals, such as birds..

Complete and utter nonsense, with the exception of the bird connection. I'm pretty sure I was male in my past life (I'm female now) and that my last earthly incarnation was a lot more recent than 1200.

Your brief psychological profile in your past life:
Revolutionary type. You inspired changes in any sphere - politics, business, religion, housekeeping. You could have been a leader.

Could be true, could not. I consider myself a revolutionary/leader type in this lifetime, so this is really a toss up.

The lesson that your last past life brought to your present incarnation:
Your lesson is to learn humility and faith in spiritual principles. You should believe in higher reasons.

This seems right to me. But that's probably coincidence.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 07, 2007, 06:34:57 pm »

Do you believe in past lives, and/or reincarnation?
I have what appear to be past-life memories (more than one life; some have a fair bit of detail).  I find that it's often most functional to suppose they're exactly what they seem to be - when I do it that way, they are likely to stir up productive-to-this-life lines of thought, or at the very least entertain me; attempting to consider them in any other way just leads to aimless metaphysical speculation.  This doesn't mean they are past-life memories, nor even that I believe them to be in any concrete way - I'm pretty agnostic about them really.  It's just that I figure what the heck is the point in having the durn things, if I can't do something productive with them?

Partly as a result of this, and partly for other reasons (i.e., several years' worth of figuring out what offended my reason, and what my reason would accept, in the way of after-death notions - it's good with "nothing is wasted" in various forms, and it's good with oblivion, but the latter isn't inspiring), I lean strongly toward belief in reincarnation, or at the least to something that functions similarly (creates apparent memories, which may be shared with others, etc.).

It's not something I'm comfortable going into much detail about, partly because it seems quite personal, and partly because of the "flake factor".  I'll say this about them, though:  some of my "alteregos" could afford footwear, but none of them were anything particularly special except to themselves and their family/friends.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 07, 2007, 06:46:58 pm »

This seems right to me. But that's probably coincidence.

That's the way I felt about it too. Still, it made me think about past lives as a broader topic. I realize I never really responded to my own question, but that's because I'm still fuzzy on it. Maybe once I read other peoples' thoughts on it, I might be able to articulate my own feelings about it.

Sparrow
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 07, 2007, 07:26:20 pm »

I have what appear to be past-life memories (more than one life; some have a fair bit of detail).  I find that it's often most functional to suppose they're exactly what they seem to be - when I do it that way, they are likely to stir up productive-to-this-life lines of thought, or at the very least entertain me; attempting to consider them in any other way just leads to aimless metaphysical speculation.  This doesn't mean they are past-life memories, nor even that I believe them to be in any concrete way - I'm pretty agnostic about them really.  It's just that I figure what the heck is the point in having the durn things, if I can't do something productive with them?

Sunflower

You always make such beautiful sense, Sunflower!
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 07, 2007, 08:14:32 pm »

You always make such beautiful sense, Sunflower!
Embarrassed
<scuffs foot in dirt>
Aw, shucks, thanks.  In this instance, I think it's a matter of years of practice in self-reconciliation - I've been both a rationalist and a mystic for quite a long time now.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 07, 2007, 08:59:14 pm »

Surprise surprise, I have a complicated answer. Cheesy

I don't believe in past lives as in all that is currently Shadow was once some dude in Japan, f'ex.  Or someone in the 50s, or someone that FINALLY died from life support failure, or any of the other shards of memory I've got kicking around.

I believe that those people existed, lived, and died.  And of their bits, pieces of what was their soul are now part of mine.  Not a one-to-one relationship .. I am not them, they are not me, and there's a lot more of them that's NOT me than is.

But bits of identity cling to bits of soul.  Nothing is lost.  Nothing is forgotten.  IMO.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 07, 2007, 09:34:59 pm »

Do you believe in past lives, and/or reincarnation?

Well, yes, in a way.  I do believe in reincarnation, but reincarnation as the normal version is a little too simplistic.  My version is very similar to Nile Lily's actually.  I believe there is an Overall Soul and different parts or aspects of this soul (the fingers as part of the hand analogy I used in the akashic records thread I believe it was) and we can have several "split souls"  or aspects running around at the same time, both here and other places, and at different times in history.  Whether the aspects or "fingers" at any given time ever exactly repeat, or if the overall soul sends out a different composite of its soul aspects to make a different finger next time is another question.

As far as memories, I have distinct WWII memories, and not very nice ones.  There are vague glimpses of other lifetimes as well.  But the WWII ones are the most detailed. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 08, 2007, 02:33:46 am »

and it's good with oblivion, but the latter isn't inspiring

Personally, some days I find oblivion comforting.  I really don't want to reincarnate.  Living once is full of quite enough crap.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 11, 2007, 12:00:44 pm »

Do you believe in past lives, and/or reincarnation? Does one necessarily include the other?

--Finn

I have had many, many past lives. A number of sensitives have picked this up over the years and as well as that, my palmistry indicates it too. In most of them I have been a mystic/teacher/shaman or an outlaw-sometimes a shaman and an outlaw. I was burnt at the stake at least once and in a recent life I was my great aunt. She was a closet mystic, (playing) card and tea-leaf reader and Presbyterian Sunday School teacher. She (I) was a gifted artist of moderate fame and was always the black sheep with red hair!

In this life, I have come out of the closet-most people know I have mystical "leanings"-I read (tarot) cards and sometimes tea leaves, I have considerable artistic talent including the ability to do spirit portraits, I still have gingery hair and the same face and am still the black sheep! I tapped into "her" etheric field and found that it was indistinguishable from my own. A number of family members have commented on my resemblence to her both in appearance, temperament and interests, including my own father. My father famously commented, "Gee, you remind me of Aunt G..." and again "...She had some very strange beliefs, she did...She was into this mysticism thing..." Dad was a small boy when he knew her and used to live in the same house with her-together with his mother (a widow) and her parents (Aunt G. and Grandmother's parents). Aunt G. was a spinster and so never moved out of the family home, so my Dad would have known her better than most folks. Apparently she kept her magickal practices very well hidden, but it is almost impossible to hide anything from an inquisitive little boy. Apparently, he was her favourite though and she treated him with great kindness. I still love my Dad very much. He weas an absolutely top class bloke.   

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)