The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2021, 06:44:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2021, 06:44:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Craft Light  (Read 2626 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 08, 2007, 10:26:37 am »

I am looking at lighting options for the place I do needlework (living room chair), and I've got to find a light that will work for when I'm stitching. I love some of the floor lamps that are designed for this, but they're totally out of my budget. Also, I'm very cramped for space, so a desk light, while it might work will also run the risk of being knocked over.

I saw these clip on lights at Joanns, and they look like they might work. Thing is, I've never talked with anyone who has ever used on, and I've got concerns about something clipping on to my embroidery hoop...both weight and the fact some run on batteries.  A bit more expensive model gets you an AC adapter, and I think that's the route I would go, but my reservations about the clip on thing remain.

Anyone ever used there? Know someone? How well do these lights work?

Here's an example http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=MIghty+Bright&PRODID=prd24710

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: July 08, 2007, 12:48:30 pm »

Huh.  Hubby used to have one of those for reading with (for which purpose it worked OK), but I'd never seen them used for crafts before.  Interesting.  The book one I'd think would be a little heavy for clipping onto an embroidery hoop, but maybe the crafting-type ones are lighter.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 08, 2007, 02:05:53 pm »

I saw these clip on lights at Joanns, and they look like they might work.

I have seen heavier duty clip on lights different places.  Perhaps you could get one of those, and clip it to a chair or table where or near where you sit , in order to have the light more directly where you need it, without having to worry about it being too heavy for the embroidery hoop?

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 08, 2007, 02:09:41 pm »

Huh.  Hubby used to have one of those for reading with (for which purpose it worked OK), but I'd never seen them used for crafts before.  Interesting.  The book one I'd think would be a little heavy for clipping onto an embroidery hoop, but maybe the crafting-type ones are lighter.

I was hoping to see one in person today, but neither our local Joann's nor Michael's has it. We'll try Hobby Lobby a bit later in the week and see if they carry them. The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm going to have to have something like this unless I want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a floor lamp. There's just no room/safe place for a table model in the place where I do needlework.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 17, 2007, 04:19:21 pm »

I went ahead an ordered one of these lights from Joann's last week, and it was delivered yesterday (I know the link here is to Amazon, but it's the same item I got.). It just doesn't work well. It's too heavy on the embroidery hoop and the clip is too big and its grip is too weak to allow the arm to be placed where the light will do any good.

So it's going back. The problem is that Joann's doesn't allow returns from their site to a local store. So not only am I going to be out the money to ship the item here, I get to waste even more money shipping it back to them. I'm not happy either with the clip light or with Joann's...particularly when they advertise easy returns.

My suggestion is to definitely avoid the craft light for use with needlework and think twice before spending money online with Joann's (at this point I'm not even sure if I can get my money back or if I'm stuck with one of thier online merchandise "credits" so I can waste more time/money.)

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 17, 2007, 04:28:47 pm »

Apparently phoning them gets better results so I take back my nasty words (except the ones about not being able to return them to a store. That's a pain in the butt.) They are paying for shipping, though, so that helps.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 17, 2007, 04:46:22 pm »

Apparently phoning them gets better results so I take back my nasty words (except the ones about not being able to return them to a store. That's a pain in the butt.) They are paying for shipping, though, so that helps.

Sorry you had to go through such a pain in the butt experience Sad

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 17, 2007, 05:13:03 pm »

Sorry you had to go through such a pain in the butt experience Sad

Gina

Yeah. It sucks. Particularly because it was a neat solution to a problem that really had no good fix. Oh well, back to the funky metal pole and clip on light from Target. LOL

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)