The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 05:07:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 05:07:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When does "religion" become "mythology"?  (Read 11118 times)
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: July 09, 2007, 12:35:27 pm »

Recognizing the differences we have and exploring our diversity is a wonderful thing, IMHO, and much more interesting and conducive to understanding each other than trying to pretend we're all the same.  Smiley

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, dude.   Cheesy  This -- among other things, including not-so-good scholarship -- is what cheeses me off so much about Campbell, etc.:  A multitude of stories, some of which have some interesting similarities, is *so* much more exciting than "it's all the same story, really."  The latter is not just inaccurate, it's *boring*. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: July 09, 2007, 02:12:08 pm »

I dunno, I think labels can be very useful for communicating what we're talking about.

And doing away with "labels" would eliminate all adjectives and most nouns from our vocab.

Stephers
Last Login:July 19, 2007, 01:17:25 pm

Religion: Pagan - Non-Specific

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 09, 2007, 08:37:44 pm »

I love the question semperfemme, and I thought that I'd quickly have an answer for it but... not so much!

On one hand religion seems to "become mythology" on an individual basis.  In other words, when a person decides that they don't at all believe that there's any truth to the religion then they may begin to view it as a mythology.  As nothing more than a group of stories.

That's kind of sad, because even then it could have 'truths'; things that have a special meaning for them or to a culture even when it is not taken literally.

That's the way that I look at it.  To me, all religions are mythologies and there are no exceptions.  I see religions as holding ideas that warrant deeper consideration and/or being held closely... be it the way to treat each other, how to treat life on Earth, embracing both the light/dark side of ourselves, or so on.  These ideas shouldn't be taken literally, but should be reflected upon in a deeper-than-every-day sense.

Apparently I'm not using a scholarly definition of the word "myth"... or maybe I am while not intending or realizing it.

Perhaps a religion becomes a "mythology rather than a religion" (collectively, in the popular eye) when the majority of humans stop looking at it as a religion, but I like to think that it is entirely individualistic.  Perhaps a religion even becomes more spiritual when more people begin to view it as a mythology rather than a literal religion*.

~Steph

* in the form of a religion the literal teachings can get in the way of deeper, critical, or even imaginative thinking: "it is what it is and that's what it is".  From a spiritual point of view, however, one is free to consider the subjects more deeply and in a more symbolic sense; what it means to them and what it means to their culture, and how it can have meaning to the modern form of their culture & issues.

During a fun chat with a coworker about religion, he turns to me and says "I just don't see how you can believe in Greek Mythology."  Undecided

I chuckled and didn't respond, really because I didn't know how to (without looking weird at work) and there were tables to be waited on, but it got me to thinking; When does a "religion" become mere "mythology"? Is it when people stop believing in the system and cast it aside? When I think of "myth"  I think of something that EVERYONE knows isn't true- like Santa Claus, but religion bears truth to for the person involved, so it doesn't get the "myth" stamp from me.

I'm sure many Christians would be offended if I said that Jesus is a "myth", yet most of western society has no problems labeling "Zeus" or "Heracles" in such a manner.

What are the differences to you if any? Do you draw a line or is the label of "myth" irrelevant to the worth of anything that could be tied to a religion?

Just tossing around a few thoughts and I hope I'm making sense.

Shadows In Motion, me spiritual musings blog
PGP Key
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 09, 2007, 08:49:27 pm »

Just tossing around a few thoughts and I hope I'm making sense.

I suppose anything can be called a myth if you don't approve of it.  But most religious mythologies become come accepted mythology when the vast majority of those who had practiced it no longer do so.

There have been small numbers of people continuing to follow Greek, Roman, Celtic as well as small so called primative religions,but they are to few in number or to hidden to be able to keep reminding the world that thier religion is alive.

Was the mythology term is generally accepted it then become extremely difficult to reverse it.
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 09, 2007, 08:57:07 pm »

During a fun chat with a coworker about religion, he turns to me and says "I just don't see how you can believe in Greek Mythology."  Undecided

I chuckled and didn't respond, really because I didn't know how to (without looking weird at work) and there were tables to be waited on, but it got me to thinking; When does a "religion" become mere "mythology"? Is it when people stop believing in the system and cast it aside? When I think of "myth"  I think of something that EVERYONE knows isn't true- like Santa Claus, but religion bears truth to for the person involved, so it doesn't get the "myth" stamp from me.

I'm sure many Christians would be offended if I said that Jesus is a "myth", yet most of western society has no problems labeling "Zeus" or "Heracles" in such a manner.

What are the differences to you if any? Do you draw a line or is the label of "myth" irrelevant to the worth of anything that could be tied to a religion?

To echo some of the things that Stephers said, I think many people might simply be shocked to think that anyone might literally interpret the sacred myths or ancient times. As Richard Dawkins says, most people are atheists when it comes to every god except the Christian one. ("Who would ever believe that a bearded man in a white robe sits in the clouds, controlling the skies? Why, the very idea!" Wink ) I don't know whether you're co-worker is Christian, but you might want to point out sometime that believing that all the world's evils came from a box is no less fanciful or absurd than believing a pair from every animal species on the planet could fit on a single man-made boat. (And there are endless comparisons to make here.) That said, I don't think most Neo Pagans literally interpret the myths of their Gods, and that might be worth pointing out to your co-worker as well.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: July 09, 2007, 09:14:06 pm »

To echo some of the things that Stephers said, I think many people might simply be shocked to think that anyone might literally interpret the sacred myths or ancient times.

I'm shocked when I come across any mythological literalists.  Doesn't matter the mythology.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: July 09, 2007, 10:48:31 pm »

To echo some of the things that Stephers said, I think many people might simply be shocked to think that anyone might literally interpret the sacred myths or ancient times

Like Darkhawk, I am shocked that anyone literally interprets mythology.  In general, it just does not work without going through incredible mental gyrations -- to the point of sometimes ignoring reality.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 10, 2007, 12:16:47 am »

To echo some of the things that Stephers said, I think many people might simply be shocked to think that anyone might literally interpret the sacred myths or ancient times.

Essay on literal myths when it comes to creation in Kemetic religion: http://www.asetnet.net/essayliteralmyth.html

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 10, 2007, 07:41:23 pm »

Like Darkhawk, I am shocked that anyone literally interprets mythology.  In general, it just does not work without going through incredible mental gyrations -- to the point of sometimes ignoring reality.

Me too. But apparently, many Christians do; I recently saw a poll that indicated that over half the US is unconvinced about the theory of evolution. That's nothing short of insane, in my opinion.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 10, 2007, 09:26:41 pm »

Quote from: catja6
"Myth" has a specific meaning (actually, a number of meanings, but that's the basic one) in a scholarly context, and I really wish more people would learn that meaning, to try and drown out the "false story" nonsense.

Guilty as charged. This is the context I've grown up with and I still use it:D. It is a shame when die hard habits of ignorance are willfully continued despite knowledge to the otherwise. Thanks for bearing with me and sharing your writing.

BTW, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy aren't really myths, in folklorists' terms -- they're closer to *legends*.  If you're interested in the differences, I posted an essay on "myth/legend/folktale" here:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=1587.0

Your post is fantastic. I hope you don't mind me saving it so I can read it again, just to make sure I can chew and digest it all.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: July 11, 2007, 07:59:54 am »

Semperfemme - thanks for quoting, but can you please use the quote key in the upper right corner of the post, and not just the bb code?  That preserves the link so we can follow the conversation.

Thanks! Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: July 11, 2007, 12:18:30 pm »

Guilty as charged. This is the context I've grown up with and I still use it:D. It is a shame when die hard habits of ignorance are willfully continued despite knowledge to the otherwise. Thanks for bearing with me and sharing your writing.

Your post is fantastic. I hope you don't mind me saving it so I can read it again, just to make sure I can chew and digest it all.

Thanks so much for your kind words; folk narrative classification is one of my hobbyhorses, and I do ramble on at the slightest excuse.  *g*  I just think it's so, so important for folks to realize that by sticking to the "false story" definition of myth, and only the "false story" definition, that it simply reinforces the notion that "Christian stories are the only true ones, everything else is FALSE," which is how "myth" acquired that meaning (in English) in the first place.  *Especially* when we're asserting the religious legitimacy of non-Christian narratives!   Cheesy 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.