The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2021, 10:38:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2021, 10:38:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: If not Pagan, then what?  (Read 8223 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: July 11, 2007, 02:01:29 pm »

Pagan faiths have nothing in common besides not wanting to further explain themselves to Christians.

so why do we group them together?

It seems like intellectual dishonesty at the very least.

The word means, and has always meant in English, the none-of-the-above box for religions.

You want to call using the none-of-the-above box as a none-of-the-above box "intellectual dishonesty".

If using words to mean what they actually mean is "dishonest", what do you call honest?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 11, 2007, 03:56:30 pm »

*peers at Nile_Lily's religious affiliations*

I'm always kind of shocked when someone with Egyptian ties has an issue with the creative and definitional uses of language.  The words we use to define and describe are how we create and maintain the universe in its proper function, not something to treat as oppression.

People who are just people are chock full of descriptors -- every single adjective and descriptive noun that gets blown off as a "label".  All of them make those people more real, complete, and full of meaning.  As you said, "You know I'll bet without much effort one could just about fill up a page with labels to refer to oneself!"

Yes.  That's what being just people is all about.  Pages and pages of those unfairly maligned "labels".

Oopsies on my part...wasn't fitting in with preconceived notions of a label I gave myself!   Sorry to disappoint!  Sorry I shocked you!  Shocked

Soooo maybe some revisions are in order? Lets see now, how about Kemetic Spiritualist? Or Kemetic Spirit Guided Witch?
I will have to give it some more thought, but right now I am late for my Kemetic Spiritualist Spirit-Guided Soul-Diverse Celtic-Infused Midwestern Witches with Forum Addictions Anonymous meeting.

Oh, I am sorry, I can never resist a bit of fun.  Grin

But this is exactly why I don't like labels - they're really not as "one size fits all" as people think.

And yes, you are right.....pages and pages of labels will accurately describe someone, but I would rather people got to know me for who I am rather than reading a book of labels on who I am.   
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: July 11, 2007, 04:08:05 pm »

And yes, you are right.....pages and pages of labels will accurately describe someone, but I would rather people got to know me for who I am rather than reading a book of labels on who I am.   

Labels are somewhat inevitable.  People who have gotten to know you will label you.  Others will label you regardless of whether you label yourself or not.  Those labels may change as different facts and interpretations come to light, but there *are* labels.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: July 11, 2007, 04:13:01 pm »

Oopsies on my part...wasn't fitting in with preconceived notions of a label I gave myself!   Sorry to disappoint!  Sorry I shocked you!  Shocked

If you want to adopt a word with a meaning, you're going to startle people when you explicitly repudiate the meaning.

Soooo maybe some revisions are in order? Lets see now, how about Kemetic Spiritualist? Or Kemetic Spirit Guided Witch?

So long as you call yourself a Kemetic anything, people who are familiar with Kemetic theology will reasonably expect you to respect the power of words, as that is essential to the theology of Kemetic thought.

Good luck "getting to know" someone without ever using an adjective.

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 11, 2007, 04:44:29 pm »

Labels are somewhat inevitable.  People who have gotten to know you will label you.  Others will label you regardless of whether you label yourself or not.  Those labels may change as different facts and interpretations come to light, but there *are* labels.

Ah yes...it is so.   

You brought up an interresting point about labels changing, indeed they do. Even as we see ourselves.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: July 11, 2007, 05:53:06 pm »

Labels don't have to imply *vast* similarities.  Some labels define more of a described object than others.

I think the label "Pagan" is something like a "kingdom" in biology. A monkey and a fish are both in the animal kingdom, but aren't really than much alike to casual examination. The classification at the kingdom level is still useful, but it doesn't tell you much of anything about the specifics characteristics of a gorilla or a carp.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: July 11, 2007, 05:54:32 pm »

I think the label "Pagan" is something like a "kingdom" in biology. A monkey and a fish are both in the animal kingdom, but aren't really than much alike to casual examination. The classification at the kingdom level is still useful, but it doesn't tell you much of anything about the specifics characteristics of a gorilla or a carp.

On the other hand, you know not to put a lead on a 'mineral' and take it for a walk.  As you said, there is *some* use.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: July 11, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »

On the other hand, you know not to put a lead on a 'mineral' and take it for a walk.  As you said, there is *some* use.

Exactly. And you'd think it odd if someone started talking about how all members of the animal kingdom need to eat bananas (just as I find it odd when someone starts telling me that all Pagans are Earth-based).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 11, 2007, 05:57:13 pm »

Words have meaning, otherwise we wouldn't use them.  This is an integral part of Kemetic theology. 

If you want something that means Egyptian flavored, but not reconish, than the term Tameran may fit better.  Tameran is usually used for Wiccans or other Pagans who worship the Ancient Egyptian deities. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 11, 2007, 06:51:12 pm »

If you want to adopt a word with a meaning, you're going to startle people when you explicitly repudiate the meaning.
So long as you call yourself a Kemetic anything, people who are familiar with Kemetic theology will reasonably expect you to respect the power of words, as that is essential to the theology of Kemetic thought.
Good luck "getting to know" someone without ever using an adjective.

Ya, know, you made me feel like a rebel!   I don't think I have ever startled or shocked anyone in my whole life before.  Now I have a whole new label - rebel - thanks!

Anyway, I do know what you are saying, even if I have been flippant today. It's all reminding me of the whole "Feminism" debate years back....... "being a woman" meant different things to different people depending on who you were with, and I got really tired of being labeled back then and being expected to act or do certain things depending on who I was around. So, I guess I am carrying around old "label baggage" with me.

Of course we have to have labels! I'm not a (total) idiot. What I don't like are the assumptions people can have about a person based on labels. People start assuming certain things about people in regards to labels. If a person refers to themselves as  Christian, Gay, Pagan, whatever, others start assuming that they fit a certain mold or sterotype. THAT is what I don't like about labels. To some, saying you are Pagan means you are Wiccan, but of course that is not so, but that is what some people erroneously believe. That is the danger of labels, but I do realize they are a necessary evil, so to speak.

As for being labeled Kemetic and the power of names/words...ah...yes...well, this is one area where I might deviate from the beaten path...I am not concerned with uttered words, in practice or rituals, but the spiritual essence (which to me is the "true name" ) of a thing. To me anyway, to know "all the names of a deity" doesn't literally mean to know all the spoken names, but all the "glories" of that deity. Words fail me time and time again when trying to explain my beliefs because they are too limiting. When I speak to the deities and other beings I do not use words. There are no spoken words in other realms. "Language" is spoken more in terms of concepts, almost "full thoughts" - like a paragraph, page, or whole book at once, communication is rapid fire and words are too slow and too limiting. This sort of communication is a kind of total understanding of thoughts. So, wheather this belief and way of practice causes others to concider me Kemetic or not, I really don't care. It's the same as one denomination of traditional religions calling another fake or false.

So, now there is a new label for me - Kemetic Kook.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)