The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 04:04:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 04:04:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Sanctity of Your Altar and Tools  (Read 6774 times)
KatAutumn
Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2015, 04:48:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 13, 2007, 05:20:37 pm »

Merry Meet, all!

I have to admit I am a bit nit picky about my altar and ritual tools. I have a permanent altar in my bedroom and I keep symbols of the Elements on it, my censer and any decorations that may correspond with a particular Sabbat or Esbat. The only things I don't keep out on my altar are things my son could get into and hurt himself with. I keep those safely tucked away in a drawer and only pull them out during ritual work. I am especially particular about my Book of Shadows and my divination tools. I don't let anyone touch my Rider-Waite Tarot deck. I've had it since I was nineteen and it has been properly cleansed, consecrated and empowered. I have used it for so many years that I just can't bear the thought of anyone else's energy coming into contact with them.

Am I being unreasonable or superstitious, or are there others out there who prefer to keep their tools "pure" by not letting other people handle them?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 13, 2007, 05:29:08 pm »

Am I being unreasonable or superstitious, or are there others out there who prefer to keep their tools "pure" by not letting other people handle them?

I know a lot of people who feel basically like you do. Personally, I could care less if my magical tools are handled by others or not. Of course, I'm just as likely to pick up and use whatever is handy at the moment and use it rather than dig out the special tool stored away in a safe place. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 13, 2007, 05:34:33 pm »

Merry Meet, all!

Speaking personally, no I don't think you're being unreasonable - which is quite funny coming from me since I'm not that way at all - just as well in this house, especially given the current location of the altar, though it needs to move soon because spawn can almost reach it *sighs*!

I've never minded people touching or whatever (the exception obviously being that anything that could harm the spawn stays well out of his way) - BUT, I've also always understood why many people don't like others to touch/handle their tools, cards, etc. Certainly I'd never handle someone else's things without their permission, even though I don't have a problem with people touching mine.

It's just the way I am. So no, I don't think you're unreasonable - just different from me - and in this case we can actually both be 'right' - because the way we do it works for each of us Wink

If that makes sense....

And darn, now I'm reminded I need to find a new place to put my stuff. Phooey.

Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 13, 2007, 05:34:58 pm »

Merry Meet, all!

I have to admit I am a bit nit picky about my altar and ritual tools. I have a permanent altar in my bedroom and I keep symbols of the Elements on it, my censer and any decorations that may correspond with a particular Sabbat or Esbat. The only things I don't keep out on my altar are things my son could get into and hurt himself with. I keep those safely tucked away in a drawer and only pull them out during ritual work. I am especially particular about my Book of Shadows and my divination tools. I don't let anyone touch my Rider-Waite Tarot deck. I've had it since I was nineteen and it has been properly cleansed, consecrated and empowered. I have used it for so many years that I just can't bear the thought of anyone else's energy coming into contact with them.

No. I do not think you are being unreasonable at all. In fact you are being very intelligent about whom, if any, you let handle your tools. Because these tools have been infused with your energy I feel it is important to make sure this energy doesn't become short-circuited by those who are not "compatible" with you and the tools.

For example I sometimes use a pendulum to dowse the condition of foods..my father does the same yet I insist on using my own pendulum instead of sharing his. His mindset and energy does not mesh with my own. It is not meant as an insult however, it merely means my tools are attuned to me and his are attuned to him.

Anyways..I think you are doing the right thing.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 13, 2007, 05:37:14 pm »

Of course, I'm just as likely to pick up and use whatever is handy at the moment and use it rather than dig out the special tool stored away in a safe place. Smiley

Having you been watching? Wink

Lynleigh
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:07:50 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 13, 2007, 05:40:38 pm »

I don't think you're being unreasonable, it's your altar; if you want to be the only person touching certain items on it that's your choice.

I have several tarot decks, some I use when I read for others and some that I keep just for myself.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 13, 2007, 06:09:11 pm »

Merry Meet, all!

Unreasonably superstitous would describe me.  Grin 
Sometimes items take on a personality all their own. I probably shouldn't be so protective of them. I certainly have been shown time and time again NOT to do this (by favorite items becoming broken or destroyed or missing) despite my care, but I still do. 

Really, it just comes down to what you feel comfortable about doing though.

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 13, 2007, 07:24:31 pm »

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. It's not unlike an artist that doesn't want his brushes used by someone else. F'ex, I do wood art, and don't allow my special tools to be used by others.
The important thing is to treat your things in a way that makes you comfortable.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Julea
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 05, 2009, 11:24:16 pm

Religion: none of the above

taffy junkie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 13, 2007, 08:53:58 pm »

No, not at all. There are people whose energies don't meld well with your own. I don't have many tools, but no one's allowed to touch what little I have; except for my tarot cards, and that's rare.

Not sure if it's related, but I never let my sister touch the jewelry I wear often because her energy makes me feel funny, and it's really hard to shield or cleanse. That just might be normal sibling rivalry, though. Roll Eyes

Holy short attention span, Batman!
Seeker11
Apprentice
Last Login:October 07, 2007, 10:45:16 pm

Religion: Gwyddon

Judge me by my questions, not by my answers.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 13, 2007, 10:50:55 pm »

Well, to be perfectly blunt - it's YOUR tools, you have every right to be however you want to be about them! It's you practicing, it's you believing, it's you worshiping, it's you! All you. You get to determine what gets done with your tools and things that belong to you. It's better to be overly protective than to have something happen to them, am I correct? :-D

I personally keep my altar up high enough that small fingers (my niece) and stupid animals (my new kitten) can't accidentally attack it, mostly for their own personal (and animal) safety, along with fears of contamination to the tools themselves. I know their energies are still innocent enough - both young! - but I just prefer if nothing were to get ahold of them, as purification is time-consuming and tedious enough sometimes, without having to re-do your efforts because of a careless knock or a curious kitty. Not that consecration doesn't matter; I would gladly re-purify my items if need be, but I prefer having to do it out of Work necessity, not out of accidental contamination (for lack of a better word!)

Sometimes, also, though I am not squeamish of a good debate, when my older relatives come over it's just easier to avoid lecture and confrontation to keep things in a drawer or under a good cover so as not to offend anyone. I'm free to believe how I'd like, but others are as well, and while I'm not ashamed of my religion I do have relatives who aren't too comfortable with it, and I'll keep them on the down-low so as not to offend them nor create tension in an otherwise-happy environment.

I hope I didn't overstep my bounds as a new member to the boards, but I do hope my opinions and actions have helped you out at least somewhat!

Kendra

:Edited by Ocelot. Only change was to fix the quote coding:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:00:44 pm by Ocelot » Logged
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 13, 2007, 11:07:45 pm »

Merry Meet, all!

I am not Wiccan, nor Ceremonialist in my practice.  So what tools I have---I admit to using them rarely---are there in the open.  I find the greatest use of them sometimes is the conversations they can thus spark, and I figure if I can't make them "safe" against handling, well, then, I would need more help than sparkling "clean" tools.  But everyone does what they feel best about.  If you are most comfortable keeping yours stashed, why should you change based on what others do?

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
ant
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 18, 2010, 06:44:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: no subscriptions

no ant pic =(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 13, 2007, 11:47:11 pm »

I think that's just your way, and that's cool and characterful Smiley

I dont mind friends touching my altery tarot type things, in fact I encourage them to play around with stuff cuz they have good energy too, so its like a pool of all my friends and my own energy..
I often loose cards, crystals and such, but I always end up finding them somewhere or other and when I do it's sometimes meaningful but always a suprise Smiley

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: July 14, 2007, 12:01:39 am »

*** MOD HAT ON ***Ant,
I don't know if this is another attempt to be funny, sarcastic, or just plain defiant. You cannot use portions of staff comments that were sent to you off board as part of your signature. I do not wish to have portions of of my email quoted in your signature. Remove it immediately.
This is an official warning.

Ocelot - Cauldron Assistant Board Coordinator

ant
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 18, 2010, 06:44:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: no subscriptions

no ant pic =(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 14, 2007, 12:09:55 am »

[modbreak]
Ant,
I don't know if this is another attempt to be funny, sarcastic, or just plain defiant. You cannot use portions of staff comments that were sent to you off board as part of your signature. I do not wish to have portions of of my email quoted in your signature. Remove it immediately.
This is an official warning.

[/modbreak]

Ok.. I'm legal again now, sorry officer..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:14:59 am by ant » Logged

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 14, 2007, 12:20:07 am »

I thought It would be good to show others the rules of the forum so that no one else makes the same mistake as I did. Speading the gospil if you like, is that so wrong?

If you don't like it i will refuse to get rid of them and will leave forever, which is what it seems you want?

*** MOD HAT ON ***Once again, you have shown that you either haven't read the rules, or refuse to follow them. Arguing a mod call in public is also against the rules. Removing the quotes was not a request.
consider this a second warning.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)