The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 04:55:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 04:55:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Sanctity of Your Altar and Tools  (Read 6775 times)
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: July 14, 2007, 12:40:14 am »

Ok.. I'm legal again now, sorry officer..

*** MOD HAT ON ***And now you went back and edited your post after it was read to remove your comments.
You are gagged for one week. Please take that time to read the rules of this forum that you agreed to when you signed up for an account.

Ocelot - Cauldron Assistant Board Coordinator

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ant
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 18, 2010, 06:44:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: no subscriptions

no ant pic =(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 14, 2007, 12:52:19 am »

[modbreak]
And now you went back and edited your post after it was read to remove your comments.
You are gagged for one week. Please take that time to read the rules of this forum that you agreed to when you signed up for an account.

Ocelot - Cauldron Assistant Board Coordinator
[/modbreak]

You just love hijacking threads and throwing your weight around.. what a sad power trip.

See ya, most definatly would not wanna be ya!

:p

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #17: July 14, 2007, 06:21:54 am »

[Edited out because I was confused and there's no point warning a member that's been banned already]
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: July 14, 2007, 07:56:56 am »

You just love hijacking threads and throwing your weight around.. what a sad power trip.

See ya, most definatly would not wanna be ya!

:p

HOST HAT ONArguing another mod call. That's a permanent ban. Showing us how mad you are at us because we will not give you full membership on spec for a couple of weeks while you show you can follow the rules and not be so unintentionally offensive with your misplaced humor in more serious threads is no a way to get your way on this board.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 14, 2007, 04:29:33 pm »

Personally, I could care less if my magical tools are handled by others or not. Of course, I'm just as likely to pick up and use whatever is handy at the moment and use it rather than dig out the special tool stored away in a safe place.

I'm the same way. I've also heard people gasp in panic because I think nothing of putting the tools that are able to go into the dishwasher for a wash. Wink
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 14, 2007, 05:53:03 pm »

Am I being unreasonable or superstitious, or are there others out there who prefer to keep their tools "pure" by not letting other people handle them?

The way I see it, there's multiple reasons to not want other people touching your stuff.

1) They may - even inadvertently - break or drop something in such a way that you can no longer use the item for physical reasons. This is not good if the item is particularly meaningful for you, as one would assume altar items probably are. (It's also not good if the item would be hard to replace.)

2) You may have items laid out in a specific way - maybe because you know this candleholder is not entirely stable, or that if that item there isn't tucked in the back corner, the cat will knock it down. Again, someone touching stuff and moving things, even in ways that don't appear to be a big deal, can lead to possible problems.

3) The energetic reasons - I'm not of the opinion that someone touching my stuff is going to undo multiple years of hard work, or anything. But I am of the opinion that there's some stuff I'd like to *know* if someone is going to be touching.

I use the analogy of letting someone else use your computer. For some of us this may be no big deal. But for many of us, we're probably antsy about the assumption that it'd be okay for anyone in our house to use our computer (and have access to our personal files - which might include financial information, sexual content, other people's personal conversations in emails, etc. etc.)

4) This may be a regional thing (I grew up in the Boston area, and live in Minnesota, and both places have fairly strong cultures of personal space, privacy, and "If you don't make this public, I won't rummage." in some similar ways) But I would assume that something in someone's home - and particularly in their bedroom - is off limits, just because it's not my space.

If I shared that space, I'd want specifics on what was fair game. (i.e. "It's okay to remove the cat from the altar, or stick that pendant I gave you on it - here's a good place for it. But please don't leave your keys or soda can there, or move things without checking with me.") But I'd also expect random guests to either get a reminder that it's off limits (if it's somewhere public: even "The stuff on the mantle has deep personal meaning: if you want to look at something, please let me get it down for you: there's some fragile items.") or that it just wouldn't be somewhere I'd be (someone's bedroom. If I *am* in someone's bedroom, I assume they'd tell me if it's off-limits.)

I just moved into a new place that is basically a studio apartment - because of the arrangement, my altar is the first thing you see when you come in the front door. (My landlady *is* also a witch, which is handy.) I'm not worried about this, because it's a studio apartment, and I don't expect there to ever be random strangers who don't get altar etiquette there. (Except maybe for the "Officially a Librarian/Housewarming" party I'm thinking of throwing in a month or so: then, I might dismantle parts of the altar I'd have concerns about, just because there will be tight quarters.) 

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: July 14, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »

I've also heard people gasp in panic because I think nothing of putting the tools that are able to go into the dishwasher for a wash. Wink

Seems like the logical way to clean such tools to me.  Especially as that may be where I got them to begin with. LOL.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Britt
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 10, 2008, 06:32:37 pm
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 15, 2007, 03:51:50 am »

I don't let anyone touch my Rider-Waite Tarot deck. I've had it since I was nineteen and it has been properly cleansed, consecrated and empowered. I have used it for so many years that I just can't bear the thought of anyone else's energy coming into contact with them.

Hardly unreasonable.  I have one tarot deck that I don't let anybody touch, and another that I'm fine with sharing.  I remember when I was little my mother having a Rider-Waite deck wrapped in silk and never letting me touch it.  I doubt I picked up the habit from her, but that's how it is for me.

I'm a person who feels that things will eventually change.  When I get a new book, I try to keep it in the best condition possible.  As it wears on through readings, I'll become less careful with how I treat it and may even fold down corners or highlight passages.  In the beginning I wouldn't dreamed of it, but later on I'm fine with it.

My personal deck, however, is my own.  I've had it since I was sixteen and I'm not sure if it'll go down the path of having others touch it, but everything else I own seems to end up there eventually.
KatAutumn
Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2015, 04:48:54 pm

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 16, 2007, 12:48:50 am »

I'm the same way. I've also heard people gasp in panic because I think nothing of putting the tools that are able to go into the dishwasher for a wash. Wink

Well, I will wash tools that are dishwasher safe. Well, I can't really consider the jars I keep my herbs in "tools", per se. My biggest thing would be people goofing around with my Tarot cards. I won't let anyone touch my Tarot cards with the rare exception being my husband if he has to move mine to get to his deck. I know it sounds really silly, but there's something about taking objects, cleansing them and empowering them with your energy and then having someone else's energy getting all over them  - especially skeptics. My dad is a total scoffer of the Tarot, so I just couldn't bring myself to let him touch my cards and put his negative energy all over them.

And, of course, I don't want my four year old getting his hands on my athame or glass chalice. That's just an accident waiting to happen. 
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: July 16, 2007, 08:52:57 am »

I know it sounds really silly, but there's something about taking objects, cleansing them and empowering them with your energy and then having someone else's energy getting all over them 

I don't think it's silly. While I may not mind myself, it's you that has to feel the connection to your deck. If that's what makes you comfortable, then that's the right way for you.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 16, 2007, 10:50:01 am »

I know it sounds really silly, but there's something about taking objects, cleansing them and empowering them with your energy and then having someone else's energy getting all over them  - especially skeptics. My dad is a total scoffer of the Tarot, so I just couldn't bring myself to let him touch my cards and put his negative energy all over them.

I agree with Ocelot, it doesn't sound silly at all. I know I already said that just because it doesn't bother me , doesn't mean I don't understand exactly why it does bother a lot of people. I can live with being on the minority side of the equation on this one Wink

And, there are people who I don't like to let touch my stuff, although they are also the people who are unlikely to be inside my house, period. An odd example is one good friend, who won't touch any of my stuff, and doesn't even like to come in my house (her choice, she'd rather wait for me outside in the parking lot even when it's only me at home), and yet she bought me a witch ball for christmas year before last.  Undecided

And, of course, I don't want my four year old getting his hands on my athame or glass chalice. That's just an accident waiting to happen. 
They just get taller and taller and reachier and reachier...

alleghenycandles
Last Login:February 23, 2009, 02:10:28 pm

Religion: none in particular

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 17, 2007, 12:35:14 pm »

Am I being unreasonable or superstitious, or are there others out there who prefer to keep their tools "pure" by not letting other people handle them?

Hi! That depends on you. Do you feel you are being unreasonable? I think this is a very personal matter that can only be decided by the individual. If others handling your things truly bothers you, then you should not allow them to as it may effect your spiritual work. If you are bothered by the fact that you shouldn't let others touch your things, then perhaps spirit is telling you to "loosen up".

Blessed be!

Amy
www.alleghenycandles.com
Lyon
Apprentice
Last Login:May 21, 2008, 06:24:37 am

Religion: Humanist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 22, 2007, 10:21:34 am »

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. Personally, I am not that picky about my altar tools, but if anyone touches any of my art supplies, I flip out. I spend far more time connecting with the Divine while painting than I do with my altar tools. I mean, honestly, how can someone harm an eraser or pencil? But to me they are sacred objects because Goddess talks to me through them.

I used to keep my altar tools "pure" when I was single. But now with a husband and assorted step-children and grandchildren, anything in the living room (where the main altar lives) is fair game to being touched or examined. We do have a bedroom altar - my husband's - that he alone touches and an altar on the front porch that I alone touch, but that is more because they are not in-the-face, so to speak.

Altar tools like athames and swords, delicate glass chalices and candle sticks are kept in a glass fronted library book shelf. Because of the heavy glass doors and the location of the shelves, the items inside are not disturbed by the casual observer.

I am leary of strangers touching me or my things when in public, but since my altar doesn't travel with me, and I learned to do ritual in the beginning without any tools, this is rarely a problem in the grand scheme of things.

I do cleanse "borrowed" objects after they are returned to me. Not everybody's energy is compatible with my own, and I have learned over time that someone else's vibrations can throw my perceptions off when doing divination. When I do a tarot reading, I usually have the other person handle my deck while they make their request for guidance. Somehow, this helps me make a more accurate interpretation of the cards drawn. I do have decks that don't get used with other people, only family.

I hope this makes sense. I seem to be very ecletic in my tools as well as my Path. I guess it's more of a division between the "public" altar/tools and the "private" altar/tools.  Roll Eyes

Pagan kids books - Magical Child BooksAn Ordinary Girl, A Magical Child & Aidan's First Full Moon Circle. Both in hard cover and full color.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)