The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 11:30:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 11:30:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: Public Moderation Messages  (Read 16010 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 16, 2007, 12:03:44 pm »

In the last couple of weeks, we have had several new members who have been issued warnings (both formal MOD HAT ON warnings and simple requests from staff to quote or otherwise follow the rules) in response to their public messages and have been upset that these warnings are issued in public.

That's just the way The Cauldron works. If you mess up in public, you get warned in public. This lets everyone see that the rules are being enforced as fairly as we can. It also helps teach all members the rules and procedures of The Cauldron. If you don't like the idea of being warned in public, just carefully read and follow the rules and you probably never will be.

The only exception to this rule is that staff members who mess up rules-wise normally have their issues addressed in the private staff area. There are several reasons for this: for example, the messages they get are often not nearly as polite as those we issue to regular members in public.

Note: Complaints about being moderated in public will fall on deaf ears. The Co-Hosts have set this policy and it has worked very well for many years. It will not be changing.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

KatAutumn
Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2015, 04:48:54 pm

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 17, 2007, 03:47:26 am »

That's just the way The Cauldron works. If you mess up in public, you get warned in public. This lets everyone see that the rules are being enforced as fairly as we can.

I actually think that's a really good idea. I belonged to a large message forum for many years and all moderator actions were cloaked behind the veil of private messaging. Eventually there was a huge outcry of moderator bias, that mods were not applying the rules consistently or fairly, and no one could hold them accountable. It turned out to be a huge mess that created tons of tension and endless conspiracy theories. Kudos for wanting to be fair and consistent.  Smiley
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 17, 2007, 08:05:52 am »

Kudos for wanting to be fair and consistent.  Smiley

We try our best. We don't always succeed for reasons ranging from human error to different ideas of exactly what is both fair and in the long term best interest of the board. But moderating everyone in private is a recipe for disaster in my experience -- except in very usual cases (like boards ran by a company for their employees where there are real world consequences for board misbehavior).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 27, 2007, 01:37:07 am »

In the last couple of weeks, we have had several new members who have been issued warnings (both formal MOD HAT ON warnings and simple requests from staff to quote or otherwise follow the rules) in response to their public messages and have been upset that these warnings are issued in public.

That's just the way The Cauldron works. If you mess up in public, you get warned in public. This lets everyone see that the rules are being enforced as fairly as we can. It also helps teach all members the rules and procedures of The Cauldron. If you don't like the idea of being warned in public, just carefully read and follow the rules and you probably never will be.

The only exception to this rule is that staff members who mess up rules-wise normally have their issues addressed in the private staff area. There are several reasons for this: for example, the messages they get are often not nearly as polite as those we issue to regular members in public.

In my opinion, which I assume I have the right to have here... And I really Hope we can All be adults here and this Post will stay so that everyone can see and voice their opinions..  So please at least give me the Respect and Read what I am saying before you make a snappy decision.. Thank You..

It is procedures like this that ruin the fun for us as members. I thought this was a fun and friendly forum where we could all come together and post and get answers to questions and help one another understand our personal beliefs.. But, I am noticing more and more it is Not really like that...

This does Not teach me the rules.. I don't need to be Belittled in order to follow the rules..

And.. Not seeing a reply repremand to an unjust Mod, just shows me, Oh well he/she is a Mod and he/she will get away with it..

So why do you need to unpolightly repremand a Mod anyway? Do they not have feelings/opinions too?

I was recently just made an example of, in public, by RandallS for not following one of the rules, even though in my eyes, I did just that and follwed his rules..  Here is a copy of his "do" rules..

THE "DO" RULES:

DO remember to use the "Reply/Quote" button even when using the quick reply feature as this inserts links and text that helps others follow the flow of conversation.

DO edit quoted material in your replies to the minimum needed.

In my opinion, I did just that.. I quoted the whole thing, because I was replying to 99% of the post..

DO remember that other members of The Cauldron are real people just like you with rights and feelings -- treat them as real people even when engaged in heated debate.

Here is where you contradict yourself.. Again, this is My opinion...

You are saying remember we are real people with real feelings.. but yet... we will be repramanded in public for all the Public to see.. Well, how is that treating us like people with feelings? Because I took offense to your reply.. I fully believed I needed to quote the whole post (according to your "do" rules)  in order to reply since I was replying to 99% of the post.. and Yet.. you Still felt the need to Belittle me in Public for something I still don't think I was wrong about..

This is RandallS's quoted reply to my post in question..

Since you don't follow the quoting rules and trim your quotes to the minimum needed, it's probably a good thing that you haven't reapplied for full membership yet.

Please explain to me how is this, respecting my feelings? Because I honestly, just don't see it.. And I am totally Not trying to disrespect you, but Your rules again, say issues in Public, get answers in Public..

Thank You
Pixie Tales

Meritsekhmet
Journeyman
Last Login:January 18, 2011, 04:47:40 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic with Native American shamanic leanings
TCN ID: merisekhmet

Anpu made me do it.

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 27, 2007, 04:10:23 am »

Quote from: RandallS on August 26, 2007, 04:16:54 pm
Since you don't follow the quoting rules and trim your quotes to the minimum needed, it's probably a good thing that you haven't reapplied for full membership yet.

I'm sorry, I normally am fine with the way the forum is moderated but...

...that was an unreasonably harsh response, especially from a mod.

Dork of Massive Proportions
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #5: August 27, 2007, 06:15:02 am »

Pixie,

if you have problems with the way Randall has handled matters, I strongly suggest taking it up with him personally over e-mail, as that will get a far more favorable response than picking a fight in public, which is what this comes across as.

--Chabas
TC staff
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #6: August 27, 2007, 06:31:29 am »

I understand there are some problem with Randall's response. I can't go into it here, obviously, but I'll bring it up for discussion with staff.

--Chabas
TC staff
Meritsekhmet
Journeyman
Last Login:January 18, 2011, 04:47:40 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic with Native American shamanic leanings
TCN ID: merisekhmet

Anpu made me do it.

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 27, 2007, 07:05:15 am »

I understand there are some problem with Randall's response. I can't go into it here, obviously, but I'll bring it up for discussion with staff.

It's ok...just felt the need to speak my mind.  Of course I'm really bad about shutting that part of myself up. Undecided

Dork of Massive Proportions
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 27, 2007, 08:19:33 am »

It is procedures like this that ruin the fun for us as members. I thought this was a fun and friendly forum where we could all come together and post and get answers to questions and help one another understand our personal beliefs.. But, I am noticing more and more it is Not really like that...

So long as people follow the rules it works like that. You, however, mention or complain that you don't have full member status often. I simply pointed out to you in a reply to one such message one of the reasons that full membership is unlikely in the near future.

I was recently just made an example of, in public, by RandallS for not following one of the rules, even though in my eyes, I did just that and follwed his rules..  Here is a copy of his "do" rules..

You are saying remember we are real people with real feelings.. but yet... we will be repramanded in public for all the Public to see.. Well, how is that treating us like people with feelings?

This was not even a warning as no mod hat was used. I simply told you one of the things you need to start doing before you can be given full member status. 

As for warning people in public, that is the way this board does things. That is the way this board has always done things. That is the way all boards, BBSes, Fidonet echos, etc. I have ran have done things for over 20 years. It works far better than private warnings do, so it will continue to be done this way. Some people don't like it. They can either:

a) just live with it.
b) find another board they like as well that moderates in private
c) start their own board which they can run however they want.
d) buy this board from me (minimum bid: $1 million US dollars, after all taxes paid) so they can run it the way they think it should be run.

I fully believed I needed to quote the whole post (according to your "do" rules)  in order to reply since I was replying to 99% of the post.. and Yet.. you Still felt the need to Belittle me in Public for something I still don't think I was wrong about..[/i]

Before making that reply, I used your profile to look back at your recent posts. Most of them quoted FAR more than the minimum needed -- as in the entire post you were replying to often including greetings and signatures. Why you may think you need to quote all of that, all it really does is waste space in the data base and violate our rules. Remember, staff decides what is and is not a rules violation -- it really does not matter that you do not believe you are violating the rules.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 27, 2007, 08:26:40 am »

I'm sorry you feel that way. Pixie Tales started the thread in question as basically a whine because she could not get full membership status. She was talking about reapplying so I told her she needed to fix her quoting first. I realize that some may take this as "Randall being mean" -- so be it. In my book, however, Randall being mean here would be to decided that Pixie Tales was being "rude and annoying" in her whining about lack of full membership status and in her refusal to properly quote and ban the account. We obviously have different views about what actions are "unreasonably harsh."

Randall
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 27, 2007, 09:21:11 am »

I'm sorry you feel that way.Pixie Tales started the thread in question as basically a whine because she could not get full membership status.

No I was Not.. I said I didn't even reapply after being here a week.. I was Not in any way shape or form whining about Not being a Full member..

Randall being mean here would be to decided that Pixie Tales was being "rude and annoying" in her whining about lack of full membership status and in her refusal to properly quote and ban the account.

d) buy this board from me (minimum bid: $1 million US dollars, after all taxes paid) so they can run it the way they think it should be run.

Woah, Excuse Me?? This is what you think of your Members?? Ones who voice an opinion are Rude & Annoying..  You may want to remember without Members.. you have NO Forum..

She was talking about reapplying so I told her she needed to fix her quoting first.

No you didn't!! You told me that because I didn't edit a name and 1 sentence out of the entitre post I wouldn't qualify for  a Full Member because I don't know how to follow rules..

My reply had NOTHING to do with Whinning about Not having full membership...  So Please don't Accuse me of something that you "assume" I meant for this whole post.. I told you Why I posted.. I used my repramand from you as an example.. I could of used anyone's as an example but I used my own as Not to offend others by using thiers..

coyoteblack
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 26, 2007, 01:24:26 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 27, 2007, 09:37:34 am »

But moderating everyone in private is a recipe for disaster in my experience --

Personally I am glad I was warned in public. In my case I did not really understand the warning and since you did it in public 2 other people explained it. Hence I think I am on the correct path.

Makes since if you are over sumone elses house to understand there house rules.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: August 27, 2007, 09:43:02 am »

No you didn't!! You told me that because I didn't edit a name and 1 sentence out of the entitre post I wouldn't qualify for  a Full Member because I don't know how to follow rules..

I don't want to get too far into the middle of this, but I hope I may be able to clear something up...

I think you may have misunderstood the context of Randall's comment...  I don't think it was aimed at that post specifically, but at your posting habits in general.  I also don't think it was intended to be "you don't know how to follow the rules" and as belittling as you're apparently finding it.  It read to me as a simple heads-up that if you did intend to apply for Full Membership in the future, you'd need to work on remembering to follow this rule.  A bit blunt, perhaps, but that's the way some people here (Randall included) are sometimes. Wink It's nothing personal, generally, it's just their posting style.  It stands out a little more with Randall because he's a host and all, I think.  It does take some getting used to, I'll admit.

My reply had NOTHING to do with Whinning about Not having full membership... 

Perhaps I can clarify this a little too...  Again, it wasn't necessarily that specific reply, but you did start a thread all about how you couldn't post on most of the board.  To some of us that came across as whining about not having full membership, although you may not have meant it that way.  (The dangers of plain text communication--it's way easy for someone else to misread your tone.)  I think that's what's being referenced here.

I hope this helps clear some things up.  If you still have issues about that specific call that Randall made, I really, really suggest that you take it to private e-mail with him.  Although moderator calls are made in public, if people have issues with them we really prefer to discuss those issues in private so as not to derail the board (in fact, this is in the rules), so it might be better to continue this that way.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: August 27, 2007, 10:03:02 am »

No I was Not.. I said I didn't even reapply after being here a week.. I was Not in any way shape or form whining about Not being a Full member..

Not the POST I replied to -- the THREAD it was is in. You started this "Talk to me" thread because you were not a full member.

Woah, Excuse Me?? This is what you think of your Members?? Ones who voice an opinion are Rude & Annoying..  You may want to remember without Members.. you have NO Forum..

That's not what I said.

You are mistakenly limiting my meaning to that one post. As I said, I used your profile to look at all your recent posts.

If you do not like public moderation, you are free to find a board that does not do it. This board will continue to do so.

Randall
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 27, 2007, 10:10:40 am »

Note: Complaints about being moderated in public will fall on deaf ears. The Co-Hosts have set this policy and it has worked very well for many years. It will not be changing.

LOL, if the worst thing that happens to me in my life from this point on is being called on the carpet for overstepping my bounds on a public online forum.... I will be one Happy woman!  Cheesy It's happened...it's not comfortable, but Hey...I'm the one who stepped in it lol. When an error of mine has been pointed out and cleaned up by others though... I DO like to go back and edit it myself. I would much rather have my revised post be my own (within the pointed out guidelines) than something edited by another, but that's just me. I'm hear (lol Fruedian slip?) here to read and share opinions. If my original post wasn't appropriate, I'll alter it to make it appropriate. No biggie. 

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)