The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 12:09:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 12:09:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: Public Moderation Messages  (Read 16011 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: August 27, 2007, 10:57:22 am »

TC staff seldom alter posts except to:

a) Make the subject clearer
b) Add blank lines in one long paragraph messages
c) Remove text that could cause the forum legal problems (copyrighted material, libel/slander, etc.)
d) Fix broken BBCode (terminated the Quote BBCode at the end of the quote is the most common change)

Things that have to be fixed NOW -- and except for text removed for legal issues one it seldom alters the meaning of the message in any way -- it just makes it easier for people to read or find. Otherwise we just warn people and ask them not to do it again.  Generally, we don't WANT them to go back and fix the problem as that would mean differenmt readers saw and replied to different messages.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 27, 2007, 11:22:16 am »

It is procedures like this that ruin the fun for us as members. I thought this was a fun and friendly forum where we could all come together and post and get answers to questions and help one another understand our personal beliefs.. But, I am noticing more and more it is Not really like that...

I'm not getting this, really I am not. I've been a lurker and member of this forum in it's various incarnations since 2003, and whilst I have been active in many forums, they tend to come and go, mostly because of poor moderation policies, yet I keep returning here time and time again. It is one of the nicest, friendliest, respectful AND thought provoking sites on the net, which is why I keep coming back.

Whilst the rules may be a little different, they work and I for one am glad of it.

Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 27, 2007, 11:25:28 am »

Generally, we don't WANT them to go back and fix the problem as that would mean differenmt readers saw and replied to different messages.

the particular incident I was thinking of was edited for copyright. No one replied to it before it was edited and I just went back and put in MY personal experiences with the issues. No worries, Randall, honest.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 27, 2007, 11:38:52 am »

If you do not like public moderation, you are free to find a board that does not do it. This board will continue to do so.
I never asked you to change your policy.. I said.. you can do it in a Polight fashion without the need to Belittle someone in Public.. You may just want to rethink how your statements can be preceived, like Star stated, it is hard to know the intentions behind words in a text only situation..

I hope this helps clear some things up.  If you still have issues about that specific call that Randall made, I really, really suggest that you take it to private e-mail with him.

Thank you Star for your input on this.. I do appreciate it..  I won't be discussing this further with RandallS in private or public... We will never agree.. and that is fine with me.. I didnt intend this to be one big huge ongoing public display so I will take the Adult road and just agree to disagree.. Thanks again Star..

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:50:06 am by Pixie Tales, Reason: instead of making a double post, i replied to both in 1 » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: August 27, 2007, 03:54:34 pm »

*** MOD HAT ON ***Pixie, it is against our rules to edit a post after it's been up for more than a minute or two unless it's for something minor like typos or fixing code.  To substantially change the post (as in, adding another post) is clearly against our rules.

Given that you have been gagged in the past, and fairly recently at that, this is your only warning.  Please read the rules to avoid a one-week ban.

HeartShadow - Message Board Coordinator

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 27, 2007, 04:14:29 pm »

[modbreak]
 . . . .it is against our rules to edit a post after it's been up for more than a minute or two unless it's for something minor like typos or fixing code.  . . . . .

HeartShadow - Message Board Coordinator
[/modbreak]

I was on a board where people 'fixed' posts (other than typos and randallisms) without saying what they were fixing or deleting.  Especially after other people had answered, it was really annoying, and  it intentionally made people look stupid.  One really can't go back and fix a long involved post and explain what was fixed without it being totally awkward.  It was really really Really annoying.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 27, 2007, 05:43:04 pm »

I was on a board where people 'fixed' posts (other than typos and randallisms) without saying what they were fixing or deleting.  Especially after other people had answered, it was really annoying, and  it intentionally made people look stupid.  One really can't go back and fix a long involved post and explain what was fixed without it being totally awkward.  It was really really Really annoying.

One of the only things that I think is worse is when someone goes back in and deletes messages. That will get a ban on this board immediately because there's nothing worse than a thread that's been turned into Swiss cheese.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 27, 2007, 05:52:25 pm »

[modbreak]
Pixie, it is against our rules to edit a post after it's been up for more than a minute or two unless it's for something minor like typos or fixing code.  To substantially change the post (as in, adding another post) is clearly against our rules.
[/modbreak]

So I am to double post instead?
Nevyn
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 27, 2007, 06:02:12 pm »

Aww c'mon chuck, don't dig a hole bigger than you can get out of? Seriously, it's just a forum! I've read some (actually possibly all) of your back posts today and you mention on at least two occaisions how you found and left other forums because you didn't like thier style. Now of course I could be wrong but it seems to me your taking the "online" life a little too seriously, believe me it IS NOT the be all and end all of your path, although I do remember feeling that way myself, but trust me it isn't.

Forums are like any other social interactions, there are rules, just like at school, at work, even waiting in line at the bank. Bide by the rules, even if you don't like them and you get along alright, fight the system and you don't. Not that I don't advocate fighting the system when it is a worthwhile battle, but sheesh, this really isn't it.  Go step away from the keyboard for a few hours, breathe in the (checks watch and try's to work out time differences) the beautiful afternoon air, go for a walk, read a book and then come back and enjoy, go on, try it, it works.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 27, 2007, 06:03:51 pm »

yes.   An additional post is not against the rules at all.  If you do an actual double post, as in repeat yourself twice, you can delete if you notate that it is a repeat of a previous post, oops.

The point is not to change the past in the past. You can correct the past in a new post if it's mosre serious than a typo (a randallism is leaving out a not or someother tiny but significant word,) and when you correct one of those, you notate that you fixed it in the post itself and in a post after all the other posts from other people telling you about it and making general good fun of you.  Now, go follow niamh's  really good advice.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Nevyn
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 27, 2007, 06:12:03 pm »

The point is not to change the past in the past.

Is that to avoid a paradox in the space time continum, where your past self meets your future self visiting the past and then the entire forum implodes Tongue

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: August 27, 2007, 06:26:55 pm »

yes, exactly.  Just like I'm about to when I reply later in the thread as well.  It's no big deal here.

and if you have questions about such things, can you please ask them BEFORE you break the rule instead of AFTER?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: August 27, 2007, 06:27:19 pm »

Is that to avoid a paradox in the space time continum, where your past self meets your future self visiting the past and then the entire forum implodes Tongue

yeah, that gets messy.  Time-goop takes FOREVER to get off the walls, y'know. Cheesy

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 27, 2007, 06:36:56 pm »

yes, exactly.  Just like I'm about to when I reply later in the thread as well.  It's no big deal here.

I can see where there would be confusion about that. A rule on most boards is that you are NOT to double post, but rather edit the post before it. This was a major mind-swap for me to get used to the double posting (especially since I was staff on a few of them and had to yell at people for double posting!)

yeah, that gets messy.  Time-goop takes FOREVER to get off the walls, y'know. Cheesy

Oh, I KNOW!! Isn't it just awful? Grin

Nevyn
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 27, 2007, 07:02:20 pm »

Oh, I KNOW!! Isn't it just awful? Grin

Cillit Bang, pre treat before the wash and it gets all stains out even at 30 degrees Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)