The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 11:02:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 11:02:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: Public Moderation Messages  (Read 16008 times)
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #45: November 18, 2009, 05:59:37 am »

Quite possibly--but the thing is, this is not a support forum and a debate forum is the desired outcome.  Wink  I think the context of this entire discussion has been understood to be regarding a forum of the particular type we're trying to run.  Obviously a different board with different goals would have different needs.  Since we are not a support board, for example, there was little need to bring the potential needs of such a board into the discussion.

In addition to Star's comments, as someone who has overstepped themselves on one or two occasions (and had this pointed out to her  Embarrassed )  I think that public moderation seems to serve well on two fronts. 1/ it tells the person in question that they have overstepped the rules, which are very clearly stated, and 2/ it serves as a deterrant for anyone who reads it. It is a useful reminder of the fact that there are rules in place to keep the discussion board running smoothly, and that anyone who either knowingly or unknowingly breaks the rules will be dealt with-all are treated equally in this respect.

If all moderation is done privately, how can you know if it is being done at all? We are all supposed to be sensible, mature adults on this discussion board- so it is nice to see that we are being treated as such. The way that this board works is very clearly stated on the home page, for both members and non members to read, so it is not the Moderators' fault if someone hasn't taken the little bit of time and effort required to read it properly.

I just thought that I'd add my penny's worth on here-probably not worth a penny, but there you are. Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: November 18, 2009, 08:02:10 am »

While I agree that a reminder to use the reply/quote when posting doesn't  qualify  as "public shaming" I do not agree with  your  presentation opposing the use of private moderating nor do I feel that public moderating is the only approach to a smooth running board.

If the way this board is ran does not satisfy you and you are unwilling to live with the way we do things, there are hundreds of other Pagan-oriented boards on the Internet, perhaps one of those other boards will be more satisfactory to you. If not, you can always start your own board where you can make the rules the way you thing they should be.

If this were any sort of  support forum  for say ausburgers or PTSD  public moderating would probably be one of the fastest ways to end up with a debate forum or an empty message board.

That could very well be true, but this isn't a support forum for asperger's or PSTD, it is a Pagan interfaith debate and discussion board.  The rules are designed around those needs, not the needs that a board for asperger's syndrome or needs of a board for conservative political candidates or the needs of a board for managers of large corporations, etc.

Some one some where is going to complain any way.

Definitely. And on this issue, complaints fall on deaf ears. Our moderating policy has produced an online community that has been around since December 1997. It obviously works well for TC, no matter how poorly it might work on some other boards nor how upset it makes some of those who prefer private moderation.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)