The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 29, 2022, 05:17:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2022, 05:17:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Does giving your hair to someone mean to you?  (Read 30980 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: July 20, 2007, 01:32:20 pm »

I don't give my hair away.  Not casually.  I could see myself whacking it all off for "Locks of Love"...but at that point it is merely a raw material for working, not "mine."  Since I use hair of loved ones in various spells and find such workings effective, I don't even put hair from my brushes where it could be picked up and taken.  And when I knit, since I only knit for loved ones, I DO knit in a strand of my hair...that is as close as it comes to 'giving' my hair.  Since the sweater recipients are not told of this, however, I suppose it doesn't matter to them.

if you can knit and NOT get your hair in the fabric, I'd be greatly impressed! Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: July 20, 2007, 01:53:46 pm »

Nothing special.  Just wash it once a week and keep it in a pony tail at work unless a headache precludes it.  I'll ponytail and braid it if I'm working in the yard or with power tools but that's really about it.

You're the kind of man I truly love seeing with long hair, Oak. You take care of it and keep it neat.  The guys with the unkept, ratty-looking hair drive me absolutely batshit!  I've often said that, if any of my sons (I just have one right now, tho) want to have long hair, that's fine with me but they must take care of it and keep it neat!

I must say, the best, the absolute best, hair I ever saw was on a guy....it was long (read down to his butt), glossy dark brown and very well cared for.  I couldn't tell if he was Native American or not, and didn't ask, but I truly admired his hair and thought it was absolutely gorgeous!

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 20, 2007, 02:49:08 pm »

if you can knit and NOT get your hair in the fabric, I'd be greatly impressed! Cheesy

LOL, well, the accidental hairage of knit projects is easy to remove with a simple tug.  When I knit in a long strand of my hair...that is something altogether different.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: July 20, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »

LOL, well, the accidental hairage of knit projects is easy to remove with a simple tug.  When I knit in a long strand of my hair...that is something altogether different.

you must be more skillful than I. Cheesy

by the time I notice I've knit or crocheted myself into the project, it just doesn't come loose!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Sojourner
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2015, 02:23:23 pm

Religion: ecclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 20, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

Merry Meet!

Well i've been thinking about this, the giving of hair to someone else. I gave a lock of my hair to my partner the first time I went to his house, he was completly blown away by it, like i was giving him a part of my soul...I was in this state of calm and complete trust, i dont ever regret giving it to him. I know he would never use it to hurt me, i guess in a way it showed him how much i trusted him so early on...but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti
I have 3 times let it grow out then cut it all off and donated it to locks of love.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 20, 2007, 09:25:30 pm »

Merry Meet!

Well i've been thinking about this, the giving of hair to someone else. I gave a lock of my hair to my partner the first time I went to his house, he was completly blown away by it, like i was giving him a part of my soul...I was in this state of calm and complete trust, i dont ever regret giving it to him. I know he would never use it to hurt me, i guess in a way it showed him how much i trusted him so early on...but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

Skeptically speaking, hair is just hair. We don't really have hair for any other reason than to be aesthetic. Its not much of an insulator or saves us from harm. To me.. its just hair. A part of me that goes away and I don't even notice it.

Now, if I had the INTENT to give it away, thats a different thing. Like giving it to a loved one or those who have cancer and are undergoing radiation treatment.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 21, 2007, 11:43:49 am »

but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable?

I have never given my hair to anyone, other than my hair dresser.  I doubt she'd do anything with it though, though she tells me I have lovely hair (she just wants good tips).  I am not afraid of giving anyone my hair, to be honest.  Even though, it is possible someone could do me harm, there is always the karmic backfire of them trying.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 21, 2007, 01:56:37 pm »

Even though, it is possible someone could do me harm, there is always the karmic backfire of them trying.

I guess that works if one believes in karmic backfire.  I don't, so I generally don't leave any sort of personal trace material if I can help it.  Of course, this puts one into a kind of pagan nightmare-twilight zone that could devolve into a sort of paranoia, lol!  Generally, my hair on the hairdresser's floor invokes no worries, but I have had a couple visitors to my house who seemed awfully interested in obtaining bits of my hair, or the like.  It made me think, whether they meant me well at the moment or not, I didn't really care to indulge them.  I hid my hairbrush for the week, lol!

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 21, 2007, 02:21:44 pm »

I must say, the best, the absolute best, hair I ever saw was on a guy....it was long (read down to his butt), glossy dark brown and very well cared for.  I couldn't tell if he was Native American or not, and didn't ask, but I truly admired his hair and thought it was absolutely gorgeous!

My son's hair is down to his butt, it is honey blonde. Mine is a darker brown, going grey at the edges. We both keep it long as we demonstrate Bronze and Iron Age living history at Archaeological digs. For college my son' braids his.

we don't have a 'Locks of Love' programme here in Britain, but it seems like a worthwhile thing to do. A friend in North carolina has recently donated.

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 21, 2007, 05:12:16 pm »

.but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

[waist length hair here]

I look at it multiple ways. First, I am very very unlikely to ever cut my hair significantly (beyond split-end trims) - it's a major part of how I see myself magically and as a priestess, and while it's not impossible that image might change in future, I think it's very unlikely. (I'm in my early 30s, going silver, and *so* looking forward to being one of those women with long silver hair. Weird but true.)

I do believe my hair holds my history (this is more or less chemically true, after all.) And by the time I'm cutting it, chances are it's been a part of me for a very long time. (My hair grows fairly slowly, so we're talking several years at least, and possibly as long as the shed cycle runs.) Just as I wouldn't hand over my email archives or the list of books I read (erm. If I kept one) or my book of shadows notes to someone casually, I wouldn't hand over my hair casually.

I would consider it as a love token (one really traditional usage for it - and after all, what's the use of having hair long enough to braid if you can't braid it into something?) On the other hand, there are some practical concerns with that: trimming a lock, even at the back of my neck and fairly small, will eventually effect how neatly I can put my hair up for professional situations and so on. It's a choice that will have practical consequences for a while - and esoteric ones for a lot longer, not just because of the fact that it's hair, but because of the context of the gift.

I have, in an envelope, some hair from my first ex. (Convoluted story on how I have it: came by way of his mutual ex.) I do intend to dispose of it (and I didn't have it for about 5 years between when we broke up, and when she sent me some of it.) My intention is to do a ritual burning, to burn any residual connections and residual damage - I just haven't been somewhere where a ritual fire suitable for that was appropriate to manage.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: July 21, 2007, 11:55:59 pm »

My son's hair is down to his butt, it is honey blonde. Mine is a darker brown, going grey at the edges. We both keep it long as we demonstrate Bronze and Iron Age living history at Archaeological digs. For college my son' braids his.

Your respective hair sounds truly gorgeous! I'd love to be able to see one of those digs, also.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
SangreLuna
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 08, 2009, 03:22:42 am

Religion: Free-thinking / Open-minded

We all must find our wings...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 22, 2007, 03:11:18 am »

my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

I've only given my hair away on one occasion, but it wasn't in a conventional way.

It was winter, so I was crocheting scarfs and hats for my fiancé and I. While working on his, I would crochet strands of my hair in with the yarn. It was a way for me to say, "Let me be with you always, providing you warmth and comfort." I love him dearly, so I trust him not to use it against me, but I'll admit, I felt very vulnerable giving pieces of myself away at first because I've had some terrible experiences in the past. Then I remembered all he's done for me and the hesitation evaporated.   
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 22, 2007, 09:06:31 am »

My opinion is why should I remove a part of my body for another persons wishes no matter what they are?  My hair is intimately bound up (pun intended) with my identity.  I'm not going to compromise my identity for someone else nor will I remove part of myself for their comfort whether it be physical or esoteric.
[/b]

I understand your point, I've always had long hair and I've gotten the donator attention too. But with me I don't believe it's a part of my spirit, or my identity, but it's my hair and I don't want to donate it. It's not like I wouldn't, but if I did it would be on my terms. I don't think someone should tell me what to do with my person, even if it is for a good cause. That would be like someone telling you to donate blood; yes, that would be a great thing to do, it could really help someone, but I'm scared to and I don't think it would be right for someone to try and force me to.

To All, In General

As far as giving hair to someone as a love token, I see how it would be a powerful symbol of your trust. You are giving your partner a piece of yourself, asking them to keep you with them all the time. Personally I would be very touched if someone I was involved with gave me a lock of their hair, but I don't think I'd give someone a lock of my hair. Beloved and I don't have an extremely physical relationship, no major PDA (though we snuggle regularly in private), plus other people's body parts and fluids should stay with them. Though there are some major exceptions...

In regards to some people's fear of it being used against them, in my relationship I doubt that would become an issue, both my partner and I completely trust each other and have always felt close to the other. Plus we respect each other enough that even if we separated I trust him not to use a gift like that against me. And in my past relationships I don't think it would ever have come up, because I would never have considered it. There just wasn't that trust or the urge to share something so precious with the other.
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 22, 2007, 11:22:48 am »

I understand your point, I've always had long hair and I've gotten the donator attention too. But with me I don't believe it's a part of my spirit, or my identity, but it's my hair and I don't want to donate it.

Yeah, sadly they ones pushing me to do didn't get it.  What irritated me most was that it was more than one person as if they were trying to indoctrinate me into some secret club.

Quote from: Mirockinstar
That would be like someone telling you to donate blood; yes, that would be a great thing to do, it could really help someone, but I'm scared to and I don't think it would be right for someone to try and force me to.

Did that twice back in college, right around the time I began consciously growing my hair out.  Had a bad experience both times.  I'm reasonably certain the needle shouldn't burn while it's inserted and getting it to that point, well, lets just say that it was quite uncomfortable.  Since then I've decided that I'll not be doing that again.

The only exception that I'll ever make in either case, be it hair or blood, would be my wife.  I actually considered making a friendship bracelet for her at one time with a couple strands of hair woven in.  But then, I don't have the words to explain how deeply I trust her.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: July 22, 2007, 01:00:37 pm »

I'm reasonably certain the needle shouldn't burn
while it's inserted and getting it to that point,
well, lets just say that it was quite uncomfortable.

I used to be a regular blood donor (every two months, like clockwork...I'll show you my "track marks" sometime) until various health problems made me stop.  It's actually fairly common to feel some stinging from the needle.  There's an anticoagulant in the tubing that's acidic and some people find it stings or burns a little.  It never bothered me enough to stop, though.

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)