The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 18, 2022, 03:36:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2022, 03:36:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Does giving your hair to someone mean to you?  (Read 30601 times)
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #30: July 22, 2007, 04:36:54 pm »

I used to be a regular blood donor (every two months, like clockwork...I'll show you my "track marks" sometime) until various health problems made me stop.  It's actually fairly common to feel some stinging from the needle.  There's an anticoagulant in the tubing that's acidic and some people find it stings or burns a little.  It never bothered me enough to stop, though.

I just went for the first time last week. It did sting a little, nothing major. I do, however, have what looks like a bruise running about two inches up my arm from where the needle went in - it looks really impressive.

I actually postponed becoming a blood donor for years because I'm a bit afraid of the needles and such. I finally figured that when it's my discomfort at needles for about 10-15 minutes vs. someone else's potentially life or death need for blood, there really isn't much reason why my temporary discomfort should weigh more heavily.

--Chabas

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: July 22, 2007, 05:47:46 pm »

I actually postponed becoming a blood donor for years because I'm a bit afraid of the needles and such. I finally figured that when it's my discomfort at needles for about 10-15 minutes vs. someone else's potentially life or death need for blood, there really isn't much reason why my temporary discomfort should weigh more heavily.

--Chabas

Well, I actually went to give blood one time.  It was a very long rigamarole, as I had to have it okayed by the geneticist etc. etc.  Then I got there, and they couldnt get blood out!  My veins were in too bad a shape LOL.

I am not allowed to donate organs either, or I would.  I am however quite willing to donate my body to science so they can use it to help find a cure for my genetic disorder.  I had my kids autopsied for scientific research.   

As far as my hair, even tho my hair is getting longer, it still isnt long enough to donate to make a wig out of for groups like those mentioned.   It isnt healthy enough, by the time it gets that long.   If it was, tho, I would gladly donate it to someone.   As far as I know, no one I am close to would appreciate a gift of a lock of my hair.  I did keep hair from my kids tho Smiley  I still keep some every time I trim my daughter's hair.
Some weird idea of cloning her or something I guess, left over from the movie Starman  Cheesy

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 22, 2007, 08:52:17 pm »

I don't have the words to explain how deeply I trust her.

That's how it is with Beloved, I adore him. I've been in "love" before, well as close as an emotionally estranged teenager could be, but with Beloved I just want to be with him constantly. It's like when I'm with him the little part of my that's empty is just overflowing, wow that sounded so lame. I mean I don't follow him around doe-eyed any more than he does me. And most of the time we have a good working relationship which is great because that's all we ever seem to be doing. And we don't even work at the same job. But we are in love, the slow, tingling fufillment love. I am such a dork....

I just realized this has nothing to do with the thread. New Topic!

EDIT: Maybe not, I can't post in Seeker's. If any one thinks it's a good topic could you start, " "True Love". Soulmates, and all the other romantic things that might be..." Not just a lot of love sick women and men, I want to hear if anyone has real thoughts on the subject.

EDIT2: Ignore edit number one.... I'm so dumb...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 09:22:02 pm by Mirockinstar » Logged
Moone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2007, 09:06:36 pm

Religion: eccentric eclectic witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: August 14, 2007, 07:38:13 am »

my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable?

You know, I never really thought about it much. My granny kept locks of hair from her daughters and grandchildren in her Bible, but I always just assumed it was a sentimental gesture.

Later I learned that nail clippings, hair, etc. could be used in magick for or against you, the more personal the item the better, so I would have to say I would feel a bit leery giving someone a lock of my hair. That would take a huge amount of trust on my part for the recipient.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if I would want a lock of their hair either. Perhaps it's just the pessimist in me, but I wouldn't want that kind of responsibility. I'm not saying I would do something really bad to someone, but if a wrong was done to me or mine, it would be tempting to get a little retribution.

I do consider it an act of complete faith and total trust to be able to give someone you love a lock of your hair. I can see why your partner was surprised by the gesture. Smiley

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity."
~E.A. Poe
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #34: August 14, 2007, 12:34:09 pm »

-snip- ...but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

It would depend. When I was young my Mother took a lock of my hair and made a keepsake broach out of it. It was a bit of a tradition in our family but I was really too young to care. [It’s blond. Very, very blond. How the hell did my hair turn so brown?]

But my Mother has no concept of the broach besides it being a family tradition and in such a situation I wouldn’t have any fear of her trying to use my hair for any other purpose even if she did know what to do with it. If I were to give a lover a lock of my hair that would be different. It would have to be a case of extreme trust on both our parts. Of course, I would also only give such a gift if I knew it would be accepted in the spirit it was given. Some people might think it was gross. It would depend on the person.

I do think that my hair is a connection to myself and would have a link back to me. I do use it in my Craft and think that another could use it to strengthen a spell directed at me. Thus I would be very careful of who could get their hands on it.

Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: August 15, 2007, 04:25:45 pm »

It would depend. When I was young my Mother took a lock of my hair and made a keepsake broach out of it. It was a bit of a tradition in our family but I was really too young to care.

That was common in the Victorian era.  My Grandmother had a broach like that as well.  It's nice that your family kept the tradition alive for so long.   

I agree with you in that my hair is a connection to myself as well.  I wouldn't give it to anyone.  I can't think of anyone I would trust that much except for my children and I still wouldn't give it to them (unless I knew I was going to die).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)