The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2020, 10:51:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 10:51:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of crafting your own ritual tools  (Read 4861 times)
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 20, 2007, 02:24:17 am »

I was hoping to get some thoughts about crafting your own ritual tools...  I initially read about this and brushed it off, since handiwork is definitely not a strength for me.  It seems like most of the people I've spoken to off of the Internet seem to be somewhat indifferent about whether or not crafting your own tools is necessary and that it's really up to the individual.  Some books suggest just "customizing" your premade tools with carvings/etc. and leave it at that, but some take it much further...

Since Wicca is my main interest, one of the first things I saw on the topic of ritual tools was in Raymond Buckland's Complete Guide to Witchcraft, which pretty much states that it's necessary and even goes to such lengths to detail instructions on how to forge an athame (dagger) on your stove...  This seemed fairly unrealistic to me because most people know nothing about forging metals and furthermore, it seems like a good way to accidentally end up burning your house down or hurting yourself.

But I've broadened my horizons a bit and also read about this idea in ceremonial magick, such as going through great lengths to tailor your own ornate robes and whatnot...  And since at least some of Wicca's ritual basis was adapted from sources similar to this, I am questioning whether or not needing to craft ones' own tools is an "inconvenient truth" that some are not willing to accept in Wicca (and other traditions as well.)  I've even seen that there are complete books written on the subject, which makes me wonder even more.

So the point of this post is to ask whether your tradition or personal beliefs designate that you must craft your own tools...  Additionally, do you think that EVERYONE practicing magick should craft their own tools?  Is this just to help add a bit more power or is it absolutely necessary?  Do these have to be designed from scratch or would simply adding a "personal touch" suffice just the same?  Are there certain tools that are OK to simply buy and those that must be crafted by oneself, or is this an all or nothing type scenario?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:26:10 am by Derg Corra » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 20, 2007, 07:03:35 am »

So the point of this post is to ask whether your tradition or personal beliefs designate that you must craft your own tools...  Additionally, do you think that EVERYONE practicing magick should craft their own tools?  Is this just to help add a bit more power or is it absolutely necessary?  Do these have to be designed from scratch or would simply adding a "personal touch" suffice just the same?  Are there certain tools that are OK to simply buy and those that must be crafted by oneself, or is this an all or nothing type scenario?

I'm of the personal opinion that tools should have a personal, special feel to them. So self-crafting is preferable.

If you're not that good at crafting things in general, find a friend you trust who is, and the two or three or four of you can work on it together, making it a labour of love. The tool will end up having the energies of you and the people you love in it, and will definitely be special to you because you had a hand in its making.

While self-crafting is preferable, in some cases it is inappropriate. Certain tools I would never try to craft myself -- such as a mortar and pestle for the grinding of herbs, etc -- and so try to find ones that mean something to me instead of trying to buy one. In the case of the mortar and pestle my mom had one that looked like a quintessential "witch's" m&p, and so I asked her if I could have it (as she also had a much bigger and "better" one). She gave it to me, and so there is love in that tool because it is from a family member who loves me.

After finding one that means something to me I may buy a few alternates I really like (esp. if they're from Ikea....ahem), because just having one tool with no alternate when you're going to be using it a lot is just silly, in my opinion. What if it breaks? (I know the thought of a *good quality* mortar and pestle breaking may sound silly, but I'm a very...enthusiastic person. Things that wouldn't break with anyone else break with me.)

So no, I wouldn't say it's an all-or-nothing scenario -- just that self-crafting is preferable.  And now I have officially over-used that word, so I'm going to go now and get some sleep.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 20, 2007, 09:39:06 am »

IMHO, no, it is not necessary to create your craft tools yourself.  With the exception of my altar cloth, everything on my altar, including the tools, were crafted by someone else. My creative skills and abilities unfortunately do not include metal forging or stone working.

As long as you have a positive bond with the tools on a personal level, that's the important thing. It's very possible to make something yourself that you don't actually like or feel good about, especially if you're a perfectionist.  Yes, your athame may be made by your own hand, but if every time you look at it, you think "Oh, it didn't turn out right" then it probably isn't going to be the most effective tool for you.

That said, I do think that the more of yourself you invest in your tools, the more effective they will be for you.  It's not necessary that you forge the item, but I do think it's helpful if your tools are a reflection of yourself or have personal significance.  My primary athame was choosen because every time I held a certain type of knife, I felt a significant bond with it and gained a feeling of being very strong and confident.  So I finally caved and purchased one... and love using it more than any other athame I've had.

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 20, 2007, 10:50:56 am »

I think that your tools need to be personal to you; whether that means creating them yourself, or finding one that is personal to you elsewhere, it doesn't really matter. I have a dagger that I use that I bonded with within the first 15 minutes after laying eyes on it. I have one that I forged myself (well it's actually an overgrown letter opener...first attempt...not sharp enough for anything but a letter opener) that I don't use as a ritual blade but I'm thinking about it. You see, the first dagger I got (one of those not-even-sharp pre-made by the dozen ritual blades) I don't really want to part with. Smiley

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 20, 2007, 12:18:32 pm »

I'm not much help since I'm in the 'whatever works for you is the right answer' school, as well as being with (I think it was Randall) and the whole 'put them in the dishwasher' thing - if only I had a dishwasher!

I have stuff that has come from all different sources and places, bought, begged, given, made... wherever it comes from, if it demands to be part of the kit and kaboodle, it becomes part of it  Yeah, I know, I'm as much help as a chocolate poker Undecided

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 20, 2007, 12:36:07 pm »

I was hoping to get some thoughts about crafting your own ritual tools...  I initially read about this and brushed it off, since handiwork is definitely not a strength for me.  It seems like most of the people I've spoken to off of the Internet seem to be somewhat indifferent about whether or not crafting your own tools is necessary and that it's really up to the individual.  Some books suggest just "customizing" your premade tools with carvings/etc. and leave it at that, but some take it much further...

I don't think tools are even necessary, tho' they are sometimes a pleasant enhancement.  Now, that said, I don't think making them all is needful either.  The issue of making knives for instance strikes this practical sort here as very fussy, indeed.  Find one that strikes you right and buy or use it.  My knives were gifts from my son, for instance.  Other things may very well be made and enjoyed more for the effort.  I made my wand, following suggestions in Thorne Coyle's "Evolutionary Witchcraft" and enjoyed the process enough to actually ritually USE said wand.  I also have recently made wands for others and to my surprise, was informed that they were intensely "magical" and charged with a unique energy.

I think it depends on what does appeal to you; I am not the craftiest person either.  But I like work with wood and small stones...and things like a dremel tool.  I also enjoy clay and pottery work, so a chalice would not be beyond me.  I really suggest you experiment with materials that you find relaxing or energizing and then see what ritual items could be made using those substances.  You might find that making an altar cloth (if you use such) is just your cup of tea, but making a knife is not.
Crafting your own broom might appeal to you, but the trouble of casting and firing a cup might strike you as a bother. 

Basically, I think making your own ritual accouterments, if you find such things a necessity should be something you enjoy.  Otherwise, would one not be merely endowing the made item with tension and other undesireable energy qualities?

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: July 20, 2007, 01:45:26 pm »

Otherwise, would one not be merely endowing the made item with tension and other undesireable energy qualities?

(not really to you, Cyn, but your post sparked the thought)

I'm not strict about the provenance of my tools either, but I've given some thought to making some of the more difficult-to-find ones.  My only 'crafty' talent really is cooking, so I know anything I made would be hard-done and imperfect.

I think, though, that if I felt the tool 'needed' to be hand-made to be effective then the tension and worry that attended the making would be transformed in the tool itself into determination and integrity.

I write poetry according to old rules of metre and rhyme.  It is difficult and frustrating sometimes, but succeeding without abandoning the discipline of form makes what I write powerful.  If I felt that making my own ritual tools was necessary, or an 'inconvenient truth', as the OP says, then I think applying myself to the task with that same discipline could only enhance their power a well.

There is a liberation and, again, power, in doing an exacting task.  The hours spent on it, the discoveries made while re-inventing the wheel, that the original wheel-inventors must have known, all go into the finished product.

And if your conscience is pushing you to a certain task, fobbing it off with how 'other people' don't need or want to do it will end up undermining your own abilities, simply because we get 'called' to different tasks as we go along.  I will never forge my own knife, I hope, because the process is dark and mysterious to me, but if I became aware somehow that I 'needed' to do this I don't think I could back away and still make my stuff work.  I would have to set myself to learning that art and hope I didn't burn down the house while I was at it.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Julea
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 05, 2009, 11:24:16 pm

Religion: none of the above

taffy junkie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 20, 2007, 01:46:10 pm »

~snip~

I am a very crafty person, but I'm also a rabid perfectionist when it comes to my crafts. So if I were to be using objects of my own creation on a regular basis, I would only be noticing the percieved flaws every time I laid eyes on them.  Roll Eyes

Holy short attention span, Batman!
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 20, 2007, 01:57:39 pm »

I am a very crafty person, but I'm also a rabid perfectionist when it comes to my crafts. So if I were to be using objects of my own creation on a regular basis, I would only be noticing the percieved flaws every time I laid eyes on them.  Roll Eyes

This is my problem also.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 20, 2007, 06:12:45 pm »

I write poetry according to old rules of metre and rhyme.  It is difficult and frustrating sometimes, but succeeding without abandoning the discipline of form makes what I write powerful.

Ouch!  That was one heck of a flung lightbulb!

I really don't like writing rhyming poetry, but I do like forms like sestinas.  One of these days I want to write a ghazal - I've been saying that for about a year now.  Most of the time I write free verse, but mine still ends up coming across as structured, I think.

This connects up with a lot of things I've been thinking about around structure and discipline.  Heh.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: July 21, 2007, 12:05:42 am »

This connects up with a lot of things I've been thinking about around structure and discipline.  Heh.

In some ways discipline is very important to me.  I understand the place of intuition, and use it freely, but sometimes it seems like a cop-out.  If I am learning a system, and part of it seems beyond my ability, it is a signal to try harder, not to side-step into another discipline that has an easier way to do that part.

Once the discipline is learned fully is the time to start mixing and merging, IMO.  It is the way I learned cards, the way I learned certain types of spells, etc..  Some dances have steps, y'know?

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 21, 2007, 02:51:31 pm »

I'm BTW, and in my particular tradition we're required to personally make a number of our tools. Nothing crazy - we don't have to forge our own blades (a highly specialized skill that I doubt the average witch of yore was trained in!), but other tools that may require some carving or the use of a drill. I happen to be an artist, so I'm wasn't that intimidated by the idea, but I totally failed at making a sistrum. (I don't even want to go into the problems, the memory is so frustrating, lol.) My elders, being the nicest BTW elders in the whole wide world, eventually allowed me to buy one. (My own HPs had similar difficulty when she was a pre-initiate, and her first sistrum was actually made for her by her own elder. Cheesy ) One thing I chose to make for myself (when I didn't have to) was my ritual cord - I crocheted it, and it was a very simply process once I learned the steps, and it was enjoyable. I appreciate having such a thing made by my own hand; it feels special. A store bought cord might have been a little prettier, but the cord I wove is mine.

But I don't think all of one's ritual tools need to be personally crafted. Sometimes functionality and durability are preferable to "one's own personal touch," heh heh. I think doing small personalizations like painting/carving symbols or ritually placing one's bodily fluids on it should be enough - but again, not necessary for everything. It depends on one's own preference, and it also depends on the tool. If you've been gifted a lovely knife with a deer hoof handle, then you probably wouldn't want to marr it with paint. If you can find something pre-made that's just what you need, then there's no shame in using it, IMO. And if you have the skill to make yourself a particular object, then why not? It's like a gift for yourself. Smiley

And like others have said, a tool made for you by someone else can be special too. Though I'm wary of throwing the word "special" around, because I think anything you use for ritual will end up being connected to you in an intimate way. I have a pre-made athame that doesn't even have a natural handle, but it's very special to me because it's the first ritual tool I ever bought, and the one I used when I performed a dedication ritual to my gods at 16. I daresay that blade has a spirit of its own. It's like my baby. A sharp, pointy baby. Grin

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 21, 2007, 10:11:56 pm »

So the point of this post is to ask whether your tradition or personal beliefs designate that you must craft your own tools...

For me, it all boils down to what I'm using the tool for. I have offering bowls on our kitchen gods table at home where I offer water and rice to my dearly departed- I didn't make the bowls. One I begged/bought from the local occult shop because it was tiny and discreet. The second I bought at a campus art department fundraiser because a) it was just beautiful, b) it was flame-friendly and only 12 bucks and c) it came with free soup. So far, none of my ancestors have complained.  Cheesy

But then again, I've made a lot of tools. There was a period where I was 'working' with Spider energy and as part of that, I painted a spider on a rock and placed it in a thicket on campus that I knew was a spider hot-spot. Usually things like that that I create get left somewhere for some kind of purpose. I've also made 'shells' - simple crafts - as gifts for people. I like doing that and I'll purposely send them to the person as 'clean' of any of my energy or any intent as possible so that they can do whatever the hell with it they like, unless it's for some specific thing.

I'm a crafty, artsy-fartsy type though and I like making things, so it's also not unusual that I'll just make stuff for the hell of it. Either way, it's never seemed to make a huge difference in the outcome of my work.

Additionally, do you think that EVERYONE practicing magick should craft their own tools? Do these have to be designed from scratch or would simply adding a "personal touch" suffice just the same?  Are there certain tools that are OK to simply buy and those that must be crafted by oneself, or is this an all or nothing type scenario?
If they'll only hate the result or maybe injure themselves in the process, let them get it at K-Mart and call it a day.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 21, 2007, 11:57:37 pm »

The second I bought at a campus art department fundraiser because a) it was just beautiful, b) it was flame-friendly and only 12 bucks and c) it came with free soup.

I had to look at your profile to see if we were from the same area - not so much.  My college did that too.  I haven't yet made it to a soup fundraiser, but I did get ice cream with a bowl I bought that's now Eshu's.  Smiley

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 25, 2007, 01:19:18 pm »

I really think that it depends on the person.
I, personally, find it silly to buy a 200 dollar wand, but to some people, it's important to do so.
Me and my ingenuity, and the lack of 200 dollars, think it is just as good to take a fallen tree branch, deleaf it, and sand it down, maybe add some designs that feel right.  It's just as good.  (I always thank the tree for it's gift, mind you.)
I don't think you should always follow traditions such as "always have a black athame" because what if black doesn't feel right?  If it doesn't feel right, it may effect your ritual. 
I think, when it comes to ritual tools, it should be special.  Of course, you're not always going to run into that special athame or wand or whatever have you, so to buy a ten dollar black handled knife isn't such a taboo.  But, to have something special and dear to you to include in your personal rituals, I think it just means more.
All of my ritual items were found at garage sales, in nature, or knick knack stores.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:21:36 pm by Underwater Thing » Logged

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)