The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 05, 2020, 12:14:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2020, 12:14:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval Spells  (Read 10773 times)
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 21, 2007, 12:04:02 am »

I found this link (warning: audio link). Most interesting, it makes me think of C. S. Lewis. Nice to know that ChristoMagick is not new.

Wink

I'll have to read up on this one some more.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 08:06:24 am by RandallS, Reason: Edited to hide the VERY long radio link » Logged

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 21, 2007, 10:06:31 am »

I found this link (warning: audio link). Most interesting, it makes me think of C. S. Lewis. Nice to know that ChristoMagick is not new.

Wink

I enjoyed it - but please make note there is a Harry Potter spoiler in it!

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
guineith
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 21, 2007, 11:44:25 am »

I enjoyed it - but please make note there is a Harry Potter spoiler in it!

Yeah, but I hardly noticed it. The rest of it was so interesting! I think that the Harry Potter stuff was just put in there to draw in all the "muggles"! Wink Cheesy

Tossed upon stormy seas
Across the Purple moor
riding
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 03, 2007, 01:30:55 pm »

Wink

Christian magic has been around as long as there has been a church. Until the Councils decreed that magic not done by the Catholic priesthood was anathma, it was real prevelent. since that time the Church still practices magic but most people don't realise it because the termonology is differtent. the rite of exorcism for instance is a ceremonial magic rite. If you look hgard enough at Christianity, especially the Catholic church you can find correlations everywhere.

healing, light and peace
White Raven
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: November 03, 2007, 02:08:25 pm »

since that time the Church still practices magic but most people don't realise it because the termonology is differtent. the rite of exorcism for instance is a ceremonial magic rite. If you look hgard enough at Christianity, especially the Catholic church you can find correlations everywhere.

You can find correlations and things that look similar to magic, but I find it a little offensive to insist that it's "really" magic even though they don't believe it is.  (And just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's the same thing anyway, really.)  Sort of along the same lines as fundies telling us that we "really" worship Satan, you know?  If we don't want them redefining our religions for us, I think we ought to offer the same respect in return.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 03, 2007, 04:01:41 pm »

Wink

There is a good book on Christian magic on amazon. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 03, 2007, 04:07:38 pm »

You can find correlations and things that look similar to magic, but I find it a little offensive to insist that it's "really" magic even though they don't believe it is.  (And just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's the same thing anyway, really.)  Sort of along the same lines as fundies telling us that we "really" worship Satan, you know?  If we don't want them redefining our religions for us, I think we ought to offer the same respect in return.

I have to agree - just because "we" (generally) might see it as magic doesn't make it so. And certainly it's not in their worldview to call it magic. Same as, to follow Star's example, while they might believe I am worshipping Satan, that doesn't change what *I* believe I am doing.

What we (they) think of what they (we) are doing doesn't have any effect on what they (we) believe they (we) are doing. It works both ways.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 03, 2007, 05:31:34 pm »

The rite of exorcism for instance is a ceremonial magic rite. If you look hgard enough at Christianity, especially the Catholic church you can find correlations everywhere.

The way a Catholic priest would do a Rite of Exorcism and the way I would do one using CM are actually quite a bit different despite some surface similarities. For one thing, in the Catholic rite the priest is calling on God and Jesus to cast out the demon(s) whereas I would be using magic to cast them out myself.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 03, 2007, 08:00:10 pm »

The way a Catholic priest would do a Rite of Exorcism and the way I would do one using CM are actually quite a bit different despite some surface similarities. For one thing, in the Catholic rite the priest is calling on God and Jesus to cast out the demon(s) whereas I would be using magic to cast them out myself.

That's an interesting distinction.  One that, surprisingly, I never thought of when I was a Christian.  I only attended one exorcism, and the only other person in attendance was the person I was exorcising (this was an emergency situation where the victim started gouging his own eyes and attempting to choke himself), and I recall it being a very distinct battle of wills, as opposed to a "Power of Christ compels you" kind of deal.  I have heard retellings of plenty of exorcisms, but this situation was very clearly a "me against it" situation, and I was not throwing out anything except for direct commands to the spirit, no "In the name of Jesus" needed.  I was much more interested in bringing the victim's psyche back to the forefront of his mind so that he could exorcise the spirit himself.

Whether there was a mundane explanation for my exorcism experience, I'll never know.  All I know is I ended up wrestling my best friend to the floor to keep him from killing himself, and the problem went away after that night.

EDIT TO ADD:  I'm not sure I would qualify my actions as magickal, but they weren't necessarily religious, either.  If magick simply involves exerting one's will upon something else, then it was magick, but I didn't think most magick involved spirit-wrestling  Grin

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
guineith
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 04, 2007, 12:47:50 am »

I'll continue this discussion on the new thread "Magick vs Religious Ceremonies"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:29:37 am by guineith, Reason: I discovered the New Thread! » Logged

Tossed upon stormy seas
Across the Purple moor
riding
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: November 04, 2007, 08:51:50 am »

I'll continue this discussion on the new thread "Magick vs Religious Ceremonies"

Guineith,

Actually...  I wish you'd left it here, even if you posted a new post saying "I just found the new thread and will repost my response there," or something.  Our rules pretty clearly state that no major edits are to be done after more than 2-3 minutes have passed, since by that time people have probably already read the post and you'd be changing the conversation for them.  Editing to remove the entire post 40 minutes after posting is a pretty big violation of that.  I'm not going to warn you on this because I know you meant well, but please remember it in the future, because this really is a pretty serious violation.

Thanks.

Star
Cauldron Message Board Coordinator

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

guineith
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 14, 2007, 11:34:02 pm »

Guineith,

Actually...  I wish you'd left it here, even if you posted a new post saying "I just found the new thread and will repost my response there," or something.  Our rules pretty clearly state that no major edits are to be done after more than 2-3 minutes have passed, since by that time people have probably already read the post and you'd be changing the conversation for them.  Editing to remove the entire post 40 minutes after posting is a pretty big violation of that.  I'm not going to warn you on this because I know you meant well, but please remember it in the future, because this really is a pretty serious violation.

Thanks.

Star
Cauldron Message Board Coordinator

Sorry, star Embarrassed. Should I post a copy of it back here?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:36:25 pm by Celtee, Reason: To fix quote code only » Logged

Tossed upon stormy seas
Across the Purple moor
riding
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: November 15, 2007, 11:29:44 am »

Should I post a copy of it back here?

Nah, don't worry about it this time--just something to keep in mind next time.  Smiley  Thanks!

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

guineith
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 15, 2007, 08:33:37 pm »

Nah, don't worry about it this time--just something to keep in mind next time.  Smiley  Thanks!
Thanks for that, Star.

Tossed upon stormy seas
Across the Purple moor
riding
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 15, 2007, 09:04:45 pm »

Wink

With Medieval Spells comes Medieval witches and Ingredients. Witches talked in code *as some still do*, as in written form could mean death. To avoid recipes to be known names were given to common plants. Some we still use today.
I have found discrep's in info so I'm not sure which plant at times.

Bat's Wings: Holly
Bear's Foot: Lady's Mantle
Calf's Snout: Snapdragon
Sparrow's Tongue: Knotweed
tongue of dog - hound's tongue, Cynoglossom officinale

Are a few that are often mentioned in spells of old. Seems many are in agreement to plant coded.
hmmm, hope I've got the right time period.. Ya, I think I do. *chuckle*

Energy Follows Attention

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.