The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 04:09:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 04:09:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In need of some ... positive energy  (Read 3428 times)
Faraetaildreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 11:23:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Slowly getting a clue...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 24, 2007, 02:11:39 am »

I hate to say this, but if five places are closing down, maybe there isn't the market for what you're offering at the moment?  I don't know the area, so what proportion of the 'supply' is five places?  Is that a drop in the ocean, or is that virtually everyone operating in town?

I don't want to be the voice of gloom, but is it possible that there isn't the demand that you need?

More a drop in the Ocean ... three of the five places (*one being my employeers current barn location until September when we move facilities to another ranch...) ... three have been around for about 35 years each. They all started about the same time, and all three owners simply decided to retire for their own reasons. The lady that owns the ranch where I am working now, has been in the Boarding buisness for 45 years, and simply decided that it was time to retire, as the land she was sitting on became worth way too much NOT to sell. Granted its gone to a developer that will build luxury homes, but... everything has to end sometime. As for the other two bigger places *when I say big i mean at least 200 stalls ...and thats a LOT of horses to take care of day after day after day* ... I don't know the inside stories, but I have heard that one owners husband is critically Ill, and sold the land to pay for medical bills, and the other one ... he bought the ranch for about 5 mill, and simply couldn't keep up with the bills. Wants to sell to move out of state. The other two are smaller places, and just got pressured out by neighbors disliking the dust, smell, flies ... same ol same ol.

So, really, the area isn't decreasing in need for boarding in the way of less horses out there TO board. Its simply that the larger boarding ranches (200 + stalls) can't stay afloat financially, or they are offered huge amounts of money to sell out. Which is what Penny gave into. She owns a ten acre parcel in a prime residential area, where the land itself (before the house is accounted for) is apprasing at $400,000 a QUARTER ACRE.  And shes right in the middle of this. So ... shes got 10 acres squared off perfectly ... its a developers dream parcel. She got almost 10 mill for the land.

So  really ... the loss of the five places ... while noteworthy to those in the local industry, its not a sign that the horse economy is decreasing here. To the contrary, more people than ever are into horses. (Its estimated that as the baby boomers, as they hit grandparental status, will become the #1purchaser of horses ... for their grandkids. Thus increasing the number of horse owners by thousands, if not millions in the next 5-10 years.) Its more a sign that the boarding industry ITSELF is shifting from the monster facility, to the smaller, backyard places that cost less to operate on a daily basis, and are more of the 'get ta know ya' rather than just a stall number.

Anyways ... I'm rambling cause its late (almost midnight) and i've been going since 5am so I'll close up here. lol.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:13:35 am by Faraetaildreams, Reason: had left sentence totally unfinished » Logged

Hear me
And if close my mind in fear
Please pry it open
See me
And if my face becomes sincere
Beware
Hold me
And when I start to come undone
Stitch me together
Save me
And when you see me strut
remind me of what left this outlaw torn
~The Outlaw Torn, Metallica~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.