The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2021, 10:53:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2021, 10:53:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Silver RavenWolf  (Read 34278 times)
Iago_Morgan
Journeyman
Last Login:October 12, 2010, 12:03:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christo-pagan-with added Wiccan flavoring

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 23, 2007, 08:24:53 am »

I've been reading through some of the threads in here, and noticed a lot of down-ness when it comes to Silver. Not that I'm eaten up with her or anything, but I have read several of her books with satisfaction...so far.

So what I'm wondering is, what is so many peoples beef with her? I'm not trying to argue with those who dislike her, because most points on Wicca I know from her books as well as a few others. Being myself a Christo-Pagan, I haven't studied deeply the principals specific to Wicca per se, however I have noticed my 'Pagan Path' taking a Wiccan turn, which is precisely why I am interested in the other side of the Silver RavenWolf perspective.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Anywho, if you guys and gals could let me know what's going on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Circle in the night
In the dark I cloak myself in Light.
Surrounded by this Power, Magick's might
I see the ancient Fire burning bright.
Circle in the night.

-From 'Circle in the Night' by Iago Morgan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 23, 2007, 08:37:47 am »

So what I'm wondering is, what is so many peoples beef with her?

A quick summary: Her books have a lot of inaccurate information (e.g. there's no such thing as a Satanic witch) and her suggestions (e.g. suggesting lying to one's parents in Teen Witch). She tries hard to make you think she is some form of BT Wiccan with a lineage that clearly says otherwise to anyone not a beginner. She is one of the worst at cleaning Wicca of ideas and beliefs that might be offensive to non-social/religious liberals that the result is Neo-Wicca, not Wicca.

Her books on magic are generally less of a problem than her books on Wicca. Her fiction isn't bad although not great either.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 23, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

I've been reading through some of the threads in here, and noticed a lot of down-ness when it comes to Silver. Not that I'm eaten up with her or anything, but I have read several of her books with satisfaction...so far.

To add to what Randall said: I think there's a large amount of "this is what you need to know" attitude in SRW's books.  She has a "course" in the three books that's supposed to go into advanced material, and there's nothing advanced about it.  So you think you're getting somewhere .. and you're not.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 23, 2007, 08:50:22 am »

Anywho, if you guys and gals could let me know what's going on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

To add to what Randall and Lric have already mentioned here's an op/ed piece that may help clarify a few bits:

Tarnished Silver: Why I Don't Recommend Silver Ravenwolf by Sana Karine
http://www.ecauldron.com/opedtarnishedsilver.php

Keep in mind that it is an opinion piece but it does serve to highlight some of the problems that folks have with Ravenwolf's perspective.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Iago_Morgan
Journeyman
Last Login:October 12, 2010, 12:03:16 pm

Religion: Christo-pagan-with added Wiccan flavoring

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 23, 2007, 09:36:22 am »

To add to what Randall and Lric have already mentioned here's an op/ed piece that may help clarify a few bits:

Tarnished Silver: Why I Don't Recommend Silver Ravenwolf by Sana Karine
http://www.ecauldron.com/opedtarnishedsilver.php

Keep in mind that it is an opinion piece but it does serve to highlight some of the problems that folks have with Ravenwolf's perspective.

Wow, that does explain alot.

Thanks,
Iago

Circle in the night
In the dark I cloak myself in Light.
Surrounded by this Power, Magick's might
I see the ancient Fire burning bright.
Circle in the night.

-From 'Circle in the Night' by Iago Morgan
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 23, 2007, 09:36:51 am »

So what I'm wondering is, what is so many peoples beef with her? I'm not trying to argue with those who dislike her, because most points on Wicca I know from her books as well as a few others. Being myself a Christo-Pagan, I haven't studied deeply the principals specific to Wicca per se, however I have noticed my 'Pagan Path' taking a Wiccan turn, which is precisely why I am interested in the other side of the Silver RavenWolf perspective.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

I don't practice Wicca (or anything that resembles Wicca all that well) but she was my first encounter with Paganism. I must say, now that I'm older and (hopefully!) wiser, I wouldn't recommend her books to anyone. At least not "Teen Witch". There were a lot of just downright wrong things in that book.

The one that stuck out at me was "real witches do not drink blood or use blood in any way" (the italics are mine). I don't know about Wiccans per se, but I use blood in a few things. Especially consecrating ritual blades (but I do know that a lot of Wiccans would disagree with me on that point! I suppose I'm "unusual" in believing that a blade is always more powerful once it's drawn blood ::grins:: ). I just don't like the inference that you're "not a real witch you're a wanna be poser" if you use blood.

I also think she completely "fluffs over" a lot of the "darker" sides of witchcraft. Such as the use of blood, or sex in ritual. Granted not all witches do these things, but I get the impression she's got her fingers in her ears going "it doesn't exist! la la la la la I can't hear you!" Which I don't think is a good way to teach *anyone*. She could at least say "some people do this, but I don't, and I don't think you should either, here's why" rather than pretending it doesn't exist when we know better.

The last thing that really irks me is that she's got spells in Teen Witch that boarder on curses, but she passes them off as perfectly innocent and not hurting anyone (while she preaches "harm none" left and right). A spell to get your bus driver fired comes to mind...

Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 23, 2007, 10:10:17 am »

So what I'm wondering is, what is so many peoples beef with her?

There is another article on this at Wicca: For The Rest Of Us - http://wicca.timerift.net/ravenwolf.shtml

I keep several of her books for when I want ideas for simple exercises, rituals, and meditations.  I like A Witch's Notebook, MindLight is good for meditation ideas, and Solitary Witch is interesting for bits and bobs of different practices and paths.  I find To Light a Sacred Flame has nice ideas for creating a magical environment.  Her books tend to focus on magical practices above all and I find that can be useful.

That said, I'm the type of Pagan who reads New Age and self-help books and isn't too concerned about historical accuracy and that sort of thing, so I'm more forgiving than some.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 23, 2007, 02:18:07 pm »

Well, I like some of her stuff, I am honest.  However, that said, she is a bit "fluffy".  Her history is inaccurate, she tends to downplay "darker" areas of witchcraft, or what she thinks are darker areas as if they dont exist.  (the blood thing for instance, also not all pagans are tree huggers, sorry, and not all are wiccan either!)   Now I dont know if she actually says they are all tree huggers, that is just the impression that you are left with.  We arent all Glinda the good witch, sorry!   We arent all about rainbows, and fluffy clouds, and cute little bunnies.  Plus my real impression with her, and am not totally sure if I am right about this, but I get the feeling she can be a real *B* if you get my drift.  Control freak.

I guess the truth is, she comes across as saying all witches are like me, when that is inaccurate.  I take her stuff, and pick and choose, and some of her suggestions are pretty good, frankly.  I just keep them in the context of what they are.  I dont take them as total gospel, persay.  I cant quote her verbatim, I am only telling you the overall impression I am left with.   This is how she comes across to ME.  Take her with a hefty grain of salt. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 23, 2007, 02:34:28 pm »

The one that stuck out at me was "real witches do not drink blood or use blood in any way" (the italics are mine). I don't know about Wiccans per se, but I use blood in a few things. Especially consecrating ritual blades (but I do know that a lot of Wiccans would disagree with me on that point! I suppose I'm "unusual" in believing that a blade is always more powerful once it's drawn blood ::grins:: ). I just don't like the inference that you're "not a real witch you're a wanna be poser" if you use blood.

Yeah that is something I have wondered about.  Why on earth are you supposed to discard a perfectly good athame if you get blood on it?! Gee! Blood spells life which spells power.  Another way to cover up what is considered the "Darker" side of witchcraft I suppose.  I frankly wouldnt consecrate a tool with blood normally, but I certainly am not going to discard it either!  If you feel badly about it just clean the thing!  Physically and spiritually.  I am very practical that way <G>.  I certainly cant go around buying something new to replace something just because it gets a little dirty.  But that is just me.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 23, 2007, 02:47:03 pm »

The one that stuck out at me was "real witches do not drink blood or use blood in any way" (the italics are mine).

Apparently she hasn't met any then.  Wink

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 23, 2007, 03:05:24 pm »

Plus my real impression with her, and am not totally sure if I am right about this, but I get the feeling she can be a real *B* if you get my drift.  Control freak.

I got that impression as well.

Yeah that is something I have wondered about.  Why on earth are you supposed to discard a perfectly good athame if you get blood on it?! Gee! Blood spells life which spells power.  Another way to cover up what is considered the "Darker" side of witchcraft I suppose.  I frankly wouldnt consecrate a tool with blood normally, but I certainly am not going to discard it either!  If you feel badly about it just clean the thing!  Physically and spiritually.  I am very practical that way <G>.  I certainly cant go around buying something new to replace something just because it gets a little dirty.  But that is just me.

Gina

It must be the Warrior in me, but I feel that a dagger is, first and foremost, a weapon. (Now, admittedly, my ritual dagger is not sharp, but this is because the spirit inside it called to me and I didn't particularly care *what* it inhabited at that point. I had to have it. Cheesy) A dagger, or a sword, is a weapon (whereas a knife can be either tool or weapon) and blood is it's primary purpose. That doesn't mean I go around stabbing people but for me, its use in ritual reflects its use in real life (all about protection and occasionally aggression. I use it to cast strong wards or shields mostly or I would use it for other more aggressive ritual acts.)

Blood is life, and a part of you. So aside from blood being the primary purpose of a weapon, you are consecrating it with a part of yourself if you consecrate it with blood. (::laughs:: I had fun trying to consecrate mine, seeing as it isn't sharp. Since I don't want to part with it, I've decided to use a small and here-to-for unused antler handled knife for actually *cutting things* or drawing blood from now on in ritual.)

I certainly wouldn't expect someone to *throw away* a ritual blade because they got blood on it! Sheesh! That's a little...ridiculous...not to mention wasteful.

gayars
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 23, 2007, 03:28:31 pm »

IIt must be the Warrior in me, but I feel that a dagger is, first and foremost, a weapon. (Now, admittedly, my ritual dagger is not sharp, but this is because the spirit inside it called to me and I didn't particularly care *what* it inhabited at that point. I had to have it. Cheesy) A dagger, or a sword, is a weapon (whereas a knife can be either tool or weapon) and blood is it's primary purpose. That doesn't mean I go around stabbing people but for me, its use in ritual reflects its use in real life (all about protection and occasionally aggression. I use it to cast strong wards or shields mostly or I would use it for other more aggressive ritual acts.)

Blood is life, and a part of you. So aside from blood being the primary purpose of a weapon, you are consecrating it with a part of yourself if you consecrate it with blood. (::laughs:: I had fun trying to consecrate mine, seeing as it isn't sharp. Since I don't want to part with it, I've decided to use a small and here-to-for unused antler handled knife for actually *cutting things* or drawing blood from now on in ritual.)

I certainly wouldn't expect someone to *throw away* a ritual blade because they got blood on it! Sheesh! That's a little...ridiculous...not to mention wasteful.

Well, not sure which book I got that from, but I believe it was definitely Ravenwolf!  I just reread it here while back, when I relocated all my books I had stored away during my move a couple of years ago.  I actually fully understand why you consecrate yours with blood, especially an athame.  I just dont do consecrating that way.  But then frankly, I have misplaced my athame since I had to put it away when my son came down to stay with me (he is retarded) for fear he would play with it, and now I cant remember where I put it, as I so rarely used it, and cant keep it out.   I think it ran away from home  Cheesy

Come to think of it, I rarely consecrate anything  Grin  I dont work that way.

May I suggest buying a lancet pen (used with glucometers).  Much easier to get blood that way.   Grin

Gina

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 23, 2007, 03:46:03 pm »

May I suggest buying a lancet pen (used with glucometers).  Much easier to get blood that way

A lot of people recommend that for sterility reasons as well, but I always considered using a knife or dagger to be...I don't know...more fun? LOL I am also not really worried about sterility issues. I know where my blade has been, and I know where my hands have been. I don't of course recommend others follow in my footsteps on that count; those are just my reasons for using something other than a sterile lancet.

In one or more lifetimes my warsword and daggers were used for ritual drawing of blood...and they definitely weren't sterilized first! Grin

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 23, 2007, 08:30:18 pm »

Silver makes me giggle.
I think everyone pretty muich summed everything up.
I bought her BOS thing, last year.
I sold it back to half price bookstore.
She was talking about girlscouts not entering a church because they were wiccan.
Or how her daughter disrespected a christian, and how she was proud of it.
It made me giggle, put down the book, and giggle some more.
Silver's craaaazy.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 23, 2007, 08:40:24 pm »

Silver makes me giggle.
I think everyone pretty muich summed everything up.
I bought her BOS thing, last year.
I sold it back to half price bookstore.
She was talking about girlscouts not entering a church because they were wiccan.
Or how her daughter disrespected a christian, and how she was proud of it.
It made me giggle, put down the book, and giggle some more.
Silver's craaaazy.

That was my thoughts, everyone summed it up well,lol. I recall a few online pagan friends calling her $ilver Ravenwuss,lol. I personally don't like the fluff bunnyness, the need to spout anything to make a buck, or her preying on the youngins with misinformation especially. Hook em while they're young, kinda like other religions she complains about for doing that very thing..........or the tobacco industry:P

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)