The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 09:49:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 09:49:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The term 'Witch'  (Read 9378 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: July 26, 2007, 11:54:43 am »

I know that there are some people on here that have been in Wicca for a long time (the beginning?).  I have been wondering why they would choose to call themselves a witch?  Wicca was created in the last century so they could have used any term to describe themselves, but they chose a word that already had negative connotations.  Now they spend all there time defending themselves.  "We are not evil."  "Not that kind of witch." etc.  Just saying 'Wiccan' should have been fine.  Nice, obscure, had no prior baggage.  I've even seen references to a whole debacle with BTW fighting that "we are the one, true witches, all others are posers" so that people decided to call themselves Wiccan to avoid it (and now they are on the "we are the one, true Wiccans, all others are posers").

Wouldn't it just have saved time and energy if they didn't try to redefine or clean the rep of the term 'witch' in the first place?

Any history on the decision to use the term 'witch'?

First, although I am not involved with Wicca I do concider myself a "witch".  Mainly because I don't know what else I would be. I call myself a witch because of what I am able to do and how I see the world.

Personally, I have never met anyone who said their path was the only way to becoming a "true witch", but I suppose there are some out there who would.

As for defending the title, well, I don't feel anyone should ever have to defend any of their beliefs to anyone. I may explain to those who do not understand, but I do not defend.

The need to defend yourself comes from the feeling that you are under some sort of attack. If you don't concider ignorance or misunderstanding an attack, then there is no battle, thus no need for defense. 

For me, this is a key issue for maintaining harmony and balance in my life. I want to remain secure in my beliefs without harboring animosity to those who do not understand.

The way I see it, belief systems are very personal things, very individualized. No one, either pagan, mainstream religion, or atheist, should ever judge another's path.

Blessings to you along yours.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:02:36 pm by HeartShadow - Genevieve Wood, Reason: fixing quote tag » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BloodyMary
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 19, 2008, 02:37:00 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: July 26, 2007, 01:27:35 pm »

First, although I am not involved with Wicca I do concider myself a "witch".  Mainly because I don't know what else I would be. I call myself a witch because of what I am able to do and how I see the world.

Personally, I have never met anyone who said their path was the only way to becoming a "true witch", but I suppose there are some out there who would.

As for defending the title, well, I don't feel anyone should ever have to defend any of their beliefs to anyone. I may explain to those who do not understand, but I do not defend.

The need to defend yourself comes from the feeling that you are under some sort of attack. If you don't concider ignorance or misunderstanding an attack, then there is no battle, thus no need for defense. 

For me, this is a key issue for maintaining harmony and balance in my life. I want to remain secure in my beliefs without harboring animosity to those who do not understand.

The way I see it, belief systems are very personal things, very individualized. No one, either pagan, mainstream religion, or atheist, should ever judge another's path.

Blessings to you along yours.

I really like the way you explained this.  In particular, regarding the need to defend oneself - very accurate as to how I feel when I get defensive about other things in my life... I think the one thing in my life that I absolutely trust would be my Wicca and Witchcraft.

~Mary
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 26, 2007, 04:08:45 pm »

I really like the way you explained this.  In particular, regarding the need to defend oneself - very accurate as to how I feel when I get defensive about other things in my life... I think the one thing in my life that I absolutely trust would be my Wicca and Witchcraft.
~Mary

Thank you. It is always kind of comforting when others share a similar view on a subject. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)