The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 04:25:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 04:25:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rearranging Magical Tools,etc  (Read 7467 times)
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 23, 2007, 08:56:45 pm »

Well Met all.

With news of a baby on the way, we're trying to make room in our very small apartment. How does anyone feel about taking down an alter? See, in order to have room, I have to pack things in together tighter and take down my alter. I figured I could just drape my alter cloth over these black stands I have that hold certain tools,candles, incense, etc. Does this sound like a sound idea or should i rethink this and try to find another way?

I wasn't quite sure how I felt. In a way I felt like I had put so much into my alter, i've had it set up pretty much the same except seasonal changings, ritual work involving it, etc. I was also considering moving a few things from our pagan room into our bedroom, as the pagan room is the only other room in the apartment....thus it is now going to be the babies room. Any thoughts on splitting things up a bit more? I usually like everything to be together and easily accessible. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 23, 2007, 09:21:21 pm »

Well Met all.

With news of a baby on the way, we're trying to make room in our very small apartment. How does anyone feel about taking down an alter? See, in order to have room, I have to pack things in together tighter and take down my alter. I figured I could just drape my alter cloth over these black stands I have that hold certain tools,candles, incense, etc. Does this sound like a sound idea or should i rethink this and try to find another way?

I wasn't quite sure how I felt. In a way I felt like I had put so much into my alter, i've had it set up pretty much the same except seasonal changings, ritual work involving it, etc. I was also considering moving a few things from our pagan room into our bedroom, as the pagan room is the only other room in the apartment....thus it is now going to be the babies room. Any thoughts on splitting things up a bit more? I usually like everything to be together and easily accessible. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Bright Blessings.

make a closet the pagan room.  Or move the altar up.  Find or make a shelving unit, attach it to the wall so it won't fall down if baby tries to pull up on it, and put your altar on a higher level of it.  Or move the altar into your bedroom, whole thing.  Possibly the best thing to do.  Or (what we did when we had too many kids for the number of bedrooms), put the baby in your room and leave the pagan room alone. For about three years, we had an office, a bedroom with a boy and girl in it, and first a baby and then a baby and a toddler in our bedroom (in a toddler bed and a crib, but mostly in our bed).

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 23, 2007, 09:25:36 pm »

make a closet the pagan room.  Or move the altar up.  Find or make a shelving unit, attach it to the wall so it won't fall down if baby tries to pull up on it, and put your altar on a higher level of it.  Or move the altar into your bedroom, whole thing.  Possibly the best thing to do.  Or (what we did when we had too many kids for the number of bedrooms), put the baby in your room and leave the pagan room alone. For about three years, we had an office, a bedroom with a boy and girl in it, and first a baby and then a baby and a toddler in our bedroom (in a toddler bed and a crib, but mostly in our bed).

With how little space we have, our closets are small and packed as it is,lol. We can't put alot of holes in the walls and my landlord veto'ed my idea for putting up shelving as well. I would move the alter in our room but as it is to make room we are getting rid of things in there as well. It's not a big apartment at all, and to even have the bassinet in our room, we had to get a new bed. Thank you for the suggestions though, I wish one of them was feasible for me!lol

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 23, 2007, 10:22:47 pm »

With how little space we have, our closets are small and packed as it is,lol. We can't put alot of holes in the walls and my landlord veto'ed my idea for putting up shelving as well. I would move the alter in our room but as it is to make room we are getting rid of things in there as well. It's not a big apartment at all, and to even have the bassinet in our room, we had to get a new bed. Thank you for the suggestions though, I wish one of them was feasible for me!lol

Bright Blessings.

Oh man, if you can't even fit a bassinet in the room without replacing the bed it really is too small...is it feasible to get a bigger apartment?

If it's really necessary to take the altar down I'm sure the gods will understand!

Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 23, 2007, 11:08:34 pm »

Oh man, if you can't even fit a bassinet in the room without replacing the bed it really is too small...is it feasible to get a bigger apartment?

If it's really necessary to take the altar down I'm sure the gods will understand!

It may have been but financially, no,lol. Yeah, I decided as long as i move and rededicate it I should be okay!lol

TY and Bright Blessings.

Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 23, 2007, 11:15:50 pm »

Oh, and by the way I really love your Avatar. It reminds me alot of how The Morrighan looks when I see her (most of the time). I have seen her with red hair as well,lol.

Bright Blessings.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 23, 2007, 11:57:45 pm »

It may have been but financially, no,lol. Yeah, I decided as long as i move and rededicate it I should be okay!lol

TY and Bright Blessings.

If you want it up permanently, can you dedicate the top of a dresser?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 24, 2007, 10:52:25 am »

Oh, and by the way I really love your Avatar. It reminds me alot of how The Morrighan looks when I see her (most of the time). I have seen her with red hair as well,lol.

Bright Blessings.

LOL I know. She either looks like that (but more "mature" not necessarily older) or with red hair and more "golden" (think light suntan) skin, at least to me.

Actually, I picked that avatar because it had a downright scary resemblance to my astral/spiritual self. Smiley

Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 24, 2007, 02:54:29 pm »

If you want it up permanently, can you dedicate the top of a dresser?

I did think of that but depending on finances, we may just put one of those pads down onto it and use that for a changing area. We considered even having my mom's boyfriend construct safety guards/rails for the baby. The black stands I keep things in are along those same lines, it would probably work just as well on those, but I like your idea better because it's higher up away from the baby once he/she is older.

TY:P Bright Blessings.

Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 24, 2007, 02:55:53 pm »

LOL I know. She either looks like that (but more "mature" not necessarily older) or with red hair and more "golden" (think light suntan) skin, at least to me.

Actually, I picked that avatar because it had a downright scary resemblance to my astral/spiritual self. Smiley
Yup, I see her with the golden skin also if her hair is red. Well, you're astral self is one smokin warrior!lol

Bright Blessings.

Devin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 01, 2007, 01:22:47 am

Religion: Gnostic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 25, 2007, 12:00:42 am »

I've read the entire topic, and I *think* I might have a suggestion for you... Well, two actually.

1. Is it possible to add a book shelf to your dresser? When I was living at home with my parents, I had one on my dresser, and it could have been used as a space for magickal tools/an altar *if* I'd been allowed to put my things out. My mother was terrified of my athame *sigh*.

2. Perhaps a wall-altar could suffice until you're in a position where you can move into a larger space. I certainly understand about it not being possible to move. Believe me, I understand!

If this would be sufficient for you, there are little "hangers" that you can use that stick to the wall, rather than forcing you to put a hole in the wall. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't support an entire shelf, but if you feel comfortable in hanging your items, this could be a solution for you. An example would be to use pictures instead of statuary. If you want candles, some light weight shelves might be held up by the sticky hangers (I can't remember what they are called! Argh!). There are some that are supposed to be pretty tough, as well.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: July 25, 2007, 08:23:20 am »

If this would be sufficient for you, there are little "hangers" that you can use that stick to the wall, rather than forcing you to put a hole in the wall. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't support an entire shelf, but if you feel comfortable in hanging your items, this could be a solution for you. An example would be to use pictures instead of statuary. If you want candles, some light weight shelves might be held up by the sticky hangers (I can't remember what they are called! Argh!). There are some that are supposed to be pretty tough, as well.

There's these picture hangers, and 3M also does a line of hooks (the heaviest supports 7.5 pounds).  There are also these kind of hooks, but they're essentially big suction cups so I'm not sure they'd stick well to a standard wall.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: July 25, 2007, 09:09:14 am »

If you want candles, some light weight shelves might be held up by the sticky hangers (I can't remember what they are called! Argh!). There are some that are supposed to be pretty tough, as well.

Some of those sticky hangers are pretty good, but, as a former volunteer firefighter, I would have to highly recommend against ever actually burning a candle on a shelf held by sticky hangers, suction cups, or anything that isn't a solid mechanical connection to a wall.
I've seen way too many accidents.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: July 25, 2007, 11:02:33 am »

Some of those sticky hangers are pretty good, but, as a former volunteer firefighter, I would have to highly recommend against ever actually burning a candle on a shelf held by sticky hangers, suction cups, or anything that isn't a solid mechanical connection to a wall.
I've seen way too many accidents.

*nods*  Good point.  An LED candle, though, might work and be relatively safe (as long as it's not in anything breakable)...  Those tealights are pretty small and light, I think.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 25, 2007, 09:42:19 pm »

Well Met all.
 Does this sound like a sound idea or should i rethink this and try to find another way?

Bright Blessings.

A few points that may help you out.  I have been looking all around for ideas as I shape and reshape my space.  And thinking of your problem I have thought of a couple applications.

First, if your walls are drywall, then all is good for hanging stuff.  (Plaster (old) chips, and hanging stuff is not really applicable.)

I'm thinking of a wall-mounted solution:
Walmart has some nice little wall mounted candle/misc holders for $5-10/pk of 2.  Takes 1 nail.  I got the wide based ones that will hold candles in glass, or vases of flowers.

Walmart also (I'm sure other stores have as well) an upright incense burner out of carved soapstone (around $8).

For the center of your wall altar (focal point) you might just pin up a picture, or framed art, or wreath.  Keep this light and only means 1 hole.  You might even find a wall mounted picture frame with a shelf attached to it already. 

Use the finish-nail metal hangers for the regular stuff( http://www.govart.com/hardware_hooks_A.html ), and use regular thin nails (1-1/2" long) with a larger flat head to mount the candle holders, place nail in the wall with point angled slightly down.  The landlord should have no problem with this, as it only takes a little tab of putty to patch the holes when you move out.

Other notes:  Tea lights work great, and if you need color you can find little glass colored holders.  I use them in my holders on the wall with small glass holders, as they flicker 'bird-wings' on my wall.

Other options: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5811441  I also have this fountain, the top of it is large enough to hold a candle, or statue.  Just be sure to use bottled water in any fountain.  The sound it makes is great for meditation.

Here are wall mount candle options: http://www.onlinediscountmart.com/wall-candle-holders.html  Walmart has a few of these, a little bit cheaper.  Target and others might have similar.

For altar tools, you might look around at places like Target, Walmart, K-mart for a slim, tall mini cabinet to go under your altar, or simple get a plastic bin to slip them under the bed when not in use (simply wrap the items in cloth).

Finally,
I would NOT use any sticky tape to mount hangers as it will rip the paint/wall when you try to remove it and end up with a repair bill.
Put away the candles when you are not going to be home, if the landlord sees them out he might freak!

I have installed and repaired drywall and have worked for apartment owners in repairs and make-readies.  A few simple pin-holes in the wall, that you can easily patch upon move-out will not cause any concern.

Good luck and hope it helpes!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)