The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 04:19:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 04:19:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shamanism books?  (Read 9793 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 29, 2007, 06:05:52 pm »

I have VERY long reading list, but, for some reason I'm not sure of yet, shamanism has jumped to the top.

Damned lightbulbs.

No kidding--they hurt!  Cheesy

Out of curiosity, why the interest in shamanism?

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 29, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

Thanks.  This is really helpful.

I have VERY long reading list, but, for some reason I'm not sure of yet, shamanism has jumped to the top.

Damned lightbulbs.

It would make sense since you are going to be studying seidr. 

Exploring Shamanism by Hillary S Webb
I truly enjoyed this book. It is inclusive and yet allows for specific systems of shamanic practice to be its own entity. She gives a general overview of the world (three worlds of Upper, Middle and Lower while stating that some systems have seven or nine, but that three was the most common). She has studied and interviewed with both indigenous and non-indigenous shamans and gives examples of these to explain some points. She discusses and worlds, the initiation of a shaman, spirits allies such as deities, angels, power animals and the dead, and that the concept of the world as interconnected and a part of our own perceptions. This is the best book I have found on the generalities of shamanic practice from around the world while respecting each system for its uniqueness and cultural base.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: July 30, 2007, 01:38:15 am »

Out of curiosity, why the interest in shamanism?

As SetAset said, I'm studying seidh.  Shamanism is not an area I know much about, and I'm very interested in the intersections between seidh and shamanism.

I'm also interested, of course, in the practices of the ancient Celts that might now be labeled "shamanistic" (yes, I know that's a loaded word), and how we can reinvent them and use them today.  And, related to that, how some of the seidh techniques can be used in a Celtic context.

And because Brighid's making me.

She's being extremely demanding about my homework right now.  I need to prioritize somehow!  I just don't know what She thinks is the most important.  *sighs*

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: July 30, 2007, 01:39:04 am »

Exploring Shamanism by Hillary S Webb

Thank you very much for this recommendation and review.  I've just ordered it from Amazon.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 30, 2007, 06:55:56 pm »

As SetAset said, I'm studying seidh.  Shamanism is not an area I know much about, and I'm very interested in the intersections between seidh and shamanism.

And because Brighid's making me.

Had a "duh" moment there--I almost forgot you were studying seidh. That sounds very interesting, and awesome.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: July 30, 2007, 08:04:16 pm »

Had a "duh" moment there--I almost forgot you were studying seidh. That sounds very interesting, and awesome.

So far, it is.  And very long term, I think.

I just finished Nine Worlds of Seid-Magic: Ecstasy and Neo-Shamanism in North European Paganism by Jenny Blain, which was good.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: July 30, 2007, 08:36:07 pm »

practices of the ancient Celts that might now be labeled "shamanistic" (yes, I know that's a loaded word)
I'm a bit confused.  Certainly "shamanic" is a controversial word, but what would you say is "loaded" about "shamanistic"?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: July 30, 2007, 08:54:21 pm »

I'm a bit confused.  Certainly "shamanic" is a controversial word, but what would you say is "loaded" about "shamanistic"?

As I understand it -- and I could be very wrong! -- the very word "shaman", and therefore all its derivatives, is controversial, mostly because of the shades of cultural misapproriation, etc.

I think the way the word is used now, at least in the US, is to generally describe ecstatic and/or trance techniques used to produce healings or oracles or something like that.

Disclaimer:  I'm just beginning to study this area, and primarily because of a series of coincidences (if you believe in such things  Wink ), so I could be really far off base with my understanding.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: July 31, 2007, 12:46:50 am »

As I understand it -- and I could be very wrong! -- the very word "shaman", and therefore all its derivatives, is controversial, mostly because of the shades of cultural misapproriation, etc.
That would make sense, if neoshamanic types had taken the word "shaman" directly from the Tungus.

In fact, it was anthropology that borrowed the word, as a non-pejorative replacement for things like "witch doctor" ("Oo, ee, ooh-ah-ah, ting-tang, walla-walla-bing-bang...").  This isn't without controversy, but by and large it's an established term in the field, simply because it's necessary to have some general-use term that doesn't come with the baggage of "primitive superstition."

Pagandom nicked the anthropological usage (regrettably, mainly from romantically-appealing but methodologically-questionable anthropologists and anthropological historians).  One compromise that has become fairly common is to distinguish between the usually-tribe-based traditional stuff that anthropologists are usually studying/talking about and modern personal-based practices, is to reserve "shaman, shamanic" for the former, and refer to the latter as "shamanistic" or "neoshamanic".

The "cultural appropriation" thing is a sticky wicket.  While there can be very real issues related to cultural respect, many of those who decry "cultural appropriation" go to extremes with it.  In this instance, what has been "appropriated" is a word, whose meaning as an assimilated word in English has a relation to, but is quite distinct from, its Tungus meaning; insofar as practices have been "appropriated", they're mostly not the practices of any one culture, but things practiced by more than one unrelated culture (or, what those methodologically-dubious folks thought was being practiced, or thought was common, etc - the farther they're out to lunch, the more these things are fiction rather than appropriation).

I'm reminded of the time when a friend of mine was accosted and berated by a "gentleman" of First Nations extraction, for the "cultural appropriation" of having her hair in braids.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: July 31, 2007, 01:35:26 am »

Thanks for the clarification.  That's helpful with the reading I'm currently doing.

As I said, I think the word has taken on a more value-neutral usage now, at least in the US.  When I say I'm looking into "shamanistic" techniques, I'm talking about various ecstatic and/or trance techniques.  And I think that's pretty well understood by most people I would be talking to.

At least, *I* don't have a problem using it that way.  And if my hair was longer, I'd wear it in braids, too.  Wink

Ravenari
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 01, 2011, 07:04:42 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Spiritual Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 31, 2007, 08:38:33 pm »

Is anyone familiar with either of these books?:
If so, any comments?

Not familiar with those books my apologies, I tend not to like the majority of neoshamanism books out there. However I have enjoyed:

Reindeer People by Piers Vitebsky

Soul Retrieval by Sandra Ingerman (while I'm not a huge fan of Core Shamanism either, I think this book is quite well written, and thankfully and essentially comes with the disclaimer 'don't try this at home, on your own, if you've never done it before.')

Totemism by Claude Levi Strauss (yeah, it's academic, and focuses less on 'shamanism,' but I like it as a general resource).

Flying with Shamans by Nana Nauwald.

I would recommend avoiding anything by D. J. Conway, I just find that her work is sometimes historically inaccurate, and that if you're going to spend money on book, you might as well get something that is packed with a bit more information. This is just me though.

I'd love to be able to recommend more, but most of what I learn is through experience, and I don't have the money to fund my book obsessions! Tehe.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: July 31, 2007, 10:17:18 pm »

Fire in the Head:  Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit, but Tom Cowan

Here you go:

http://www.summerlands.com/crossroads/remembrance/_remembrance/fire_in_head.htm

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: July 31, 2007, 10:57:16 pm »

Thanks, that's very helpful.  That book just dropped off my to-read list.  Cheesy

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: July 31, 2007, 11:01:12 pm »

Thanks, that's very helpful.  That book just dropped off my to-read list.  Cheesy

Smiley It's been a while since I've read Jenny's reviews. She's got a way with words.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 01, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »

Wow. I must not remember a lot of the book... *shrug*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)