The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2019, 11:17:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 11:17:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Belonging to a Deity  (Read 13760 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: July 25, 2007, 11:19:08 am »

There have been a few (ok more than a few) times I've read on the board about people "belonging to" a Deity or a group of them. I have a few questions about this, if I may:
Note: I'm putting "belong to" in quotation marks because I'm not sure if I'm using the correct term.

Like others, I'm not sure I'd use that phrasing myself.  I'm not property.  Wink  I think what you're essentially getting at, though, is the whole "Patron deity" concept, so I'll try to answer from that perspective.

1) How did you know that you "belonged" to this or these Deity?

Got thwacked.  I was driving home from work one day and the realization just kind of up and hit me in the gut--and I use that phrasing because that's very much what it felt like, sort of the mental equivalent of a blow to the midsection.  It was a pretty decisive indication that I needed to pay attention to Apollo.

2) What does "belonging to" a Deity entail?

Different things for different people, I think.  In my case, it doesn't entail a whole awfully lot right at the moment...  According a little extra attention and honor to Him here and there, that kind of thing.  I've seldom been asked to do more than that, although occasionally I'll feel compelled to say or do something about a situation and gotten the feeling that He was behind that compulsion.  The other end...  A lot of work on me and myself, but as Shadow mentioned it's not "poof, you're better" work.  It's work; I get guidance from Apollo which has been immensely helpful, but He can't (won't?  either way) change me for me.

All of which sounds like a lot of "give" and not much "take" on my side, but the whole relationship doesn't feel that unbalanced to me.  I'm not sure how to adequately explain this.

3) Is it possible to "belong to" an Element?

Whether you're talking about Patronage or not here, I kind of don't think so.  I've never felt like the Elements were really personified enough for anything or anyone to really "belong to" them.  I do think that one can have a strong affinity for an Element (it's water for me, although the longer I follow Apollo the more I feel a pull toward fire too), but I think that's substantially different from belonging to it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)