The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 07, 2020, 09:09:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 07, 2020, 09:09:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Belonging to a Deity  (Read 14352 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #15: July 25, 2007, 03:37:37 pm »

1) How did you know that you "belonged" to this or these Deity?

Well, Old Dog kind of coalesced out of my baby stories and took up residence just out of sight.  He's not exactly Coyote, but not exactly not.  Coy-dogs are an established half-breed species around here, and so am I, so we fit.

I also have, and may have made up, a wiccish triple.  Flower, Herb, and Weed, connected to the moon and the seasons, with a fourth, Void, peeking around the edges.  They seem to be actually one being with three forms, and they trade aspects and attributes in a bewildering variety of ways.  I go by the eyes I see when I close mine to decide what name to use when.

2) What does "belonging to" a Deity entail?

With Old Dog, a lot of bargaining and a comfortable level of irritation.  He's not a 'god' in the typical sense, and reverence would be severely misplaced.  He mocks me, I insult him.  I will call on him in an emergency but he will set a price.  He will make a request and I will set a price.  If it's an actual demand the price is higher because he doesn't have time to negotiate.  If there is ever a time when payback is not mentioned I think it will mean I'm dying.

With the three (four) ladies there is reverence and no price.  There may well be bargains, simply because I am geared that way, but it is a matter of personal integrity to keep up my end rather than a likelihood of being chewed on if I don't.

3) Is it possible to "belong to" an Element?

Many of the traditional 'gods' of my ancestors are elements.  The various Winds, for example.  I'm not sure if the spirits of the lakes and rivers would be considered elements or not.  In magic I often call on the rulers of the elements and they don't appear the same, but it's possible that none of the local spirits happen to be the rulers themselves. 

Fire and air will do odd things sometimes, and I never get caught in the campfire smoke the way some people always seem to.  I can also get the smoke to follow my hand and the flames to jump, so who knows, maybe I 'belong' to them or vice versa.

Thank you so much for taking the time. I'm enjoying learning here Smiley

You're welcome.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 25, 2007, 08:34:53 pm »

It was a little different for various deities, but when it comes to my main man (Cernunnos), my experience was a little different from most in that I wasn't so much "thwapped" by him as much as I was enchanted. I pursued Him, like a bewitched hunter. He didn't really hit me over the head with a feeling of "you're Mine now!" I just knew I had to have Him in my life.

Come to think of it, things were similar with Diana - another deity associated with hunting, appropriately enough. Maybe They prefer that you make the chase, rather than be passive. (Passivity is definitely something I have way too much of in my life.)

I suppose it entails coming to terms with or attuning yourself to whatever forces in the world (or in yourself) that your deity represents. Which is a lot harder than it sounds.  Grin

Straying from the pack again, I would say yes. Like others have said, I don't think the elements are sentient (individual elementals are a different story), but I think insofar as people might be more attuned to one element over the others, I would say yes, one can "belong to" an element. Personally, I feel that my life has been ruled by water. I mean, I can't swim -  Cheesy - but the things that water represents have always been a force in my life. I realized this once when I was meditating upon the elements - I visualized a pond surrounded by fall leaves, and was overcome by this plaintive sort of emotion, and it dawned upon me that this was the part of me that is a witch. Of course all the other elements had their presence in my life, but water represents such an intimate part of me. And not just my religious side, but so much of my personality - the important parts of me that lead me to this path. So there's my thoughts on that. Hope it helps! Smiley

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 25, 2007, 08:38:35 pm »

There have been a few (ok more than a few) times I've read on the board about people "belonging to" a Deity or a group of them. I have a few questions about this, if I may:
Note: I'm putting "belong to" in quotation marks because I'm not sure if I'm using the correct term.

Ok, my answers are probably going to depend on which Deity I'm talking about. Shad and Morrigan are seeming like day and night as far as how They deal with me, really.

With Shad, He just sort of showed up one day. We developed a 'relationship' without my realizing it (I figured He was a way for me to play Devil's Advocate without needing another person around), and eventually He started dropping hints that yes, He is real, and yes, it's time we got serious. The really neat part is we're still friends on the same terms as before. We poke fun at each other, and everything's pretty relaxed unless the topic is serious.

With Morrigan... I started reading people talking about Her here and thinking that She was a goddess I could probably use in my life. Apparently She agreed. Cheesy Commence staring contest; I lost. I had to be the one to approach Her before things could get started, so I essentially said "Ok, here I am, here You are, let's just get going, shall we?"

If either Shad or Morrigan has something They want me to do or think about, They tell me and I do it or think about it. I may not *enjoy* it or *want* to, but I do anyway. Likewise, if I have something that's really knotting up my brain or emotions, I can go to Them and They help me sort things out. Shad is more into the sorting things out bit, and Morrigan seems real big on telling me what to do. Grin Which is good, She's a great motivator!

Not in the same way as belonging to a Deity, I think, but in a sense most definately. Call me a stereotype if you will, but I truely am a Gemini (my birthdate lands smack in the middle of the sign) and I have an immense affinity for air. Wind soothes me, when I need reassurance a breeze seems to pick up, and just a million other things that reminds me that I am very much 'of the air'. But I think one would be more of an Element than belong to an Element, purely because an Element doesn't have the consciousness that a Deity does, and so can't claim someone like Deities do.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 25, 2007, 09:21:13 pm »

There have been a few (ok more than a few) times I've read on the board about people "belonging to" a Deity or a group of them. I have a few questions about this, if I may:
Note: I'm putting "belong to" in quotation marks because I'm not sure if I'm using the correct term.

1) Morrigan told me "you're mine" actually she came to me in dreams and sent signs for a while before I made real initial contact. I know I'll never forget the night I felt completely lost and my soul just literally cried out to her.

2) At least when you're with Morrigan, it takes being strong. It also takes a good sense of duty and being aware of any and all commitments you have made to your dieties. Commitments to gods are not readily forgotten.

3) I suppose it's possible. I would see it as more likely to "belong" to an elemental being, or an elemental god than an element in and of itself.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: July 25, 2007, 11:27:28 pm »

1.  I belong to Brighid.  She told me so.  Over and over and over agian until I finally heard her and realized it was true.  I've been on a long journey with Her.  If you'd like to read about it, check out these threads:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=677.msg9327#msg9327
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=904.msg12494#msg12494
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=499.msg29687#msg29687

2.  Belong to Brighid means learning -- always learning -- and trying your best to apply the lessons.  The thing is, you have to REALLY use your brain.  Sometimes in very unexpected ways.  She's sending me now to learn a reconstructed Norse shamanic trancework technique.  This is definitely not what I expected.  But I've learned so much.

It's also important -- to me, at least -- to ackowledge Her presence in my life.  That was very hard for me at first.  It's easier now, but I still find myself keeping it rather private, even from my closest friends and family.

I honor her every day, in little rituals, in my choice of jewelry and/or clothing, in the music I listen to on my iPod, in my flamekeeping (http://www.ecauldron.com/cm-cauldroncill.php), and in my reading and thinking and learning.  Oh, and in my tattoos, of course.   Cheesy

3.  I'm not really sure what an Element is.  So I can't address your question.  Sorry!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 26, 2007, 02:01:50 am »

I do feel that I ‘belong’ to my deity in the sense that I believe he created me and that my relationship to him goes deeper than ‘devotion’ or even ‘patronage’. That I belong to him wasn’t so much a choice as it was a fact.

Well, he was always just there and then one day I got daring and asked about it, so he told me. Repeatedly. Forcefully. Eventually I got the hint and accepted that he was the origin of my being. (Then we lived happily ever after…sort of.  Tongue)

Well, with Set as my parent deity, I can count on plenty of challenges and living in a continuous state of change aiming for that abstract notion of ‘growth’. With Tem (who I think may also have played a part in creating me as I currently am) I can count on an endless drive to create and contribute to the universe around me, along with the occasional deep insight. I ask a lot of questions and get a lot of confusing answers (and subsequent homework via practice problems).  I also have this sense of needing to ‘do right’ by the world, which I call being in Ma’at.

Total UPG: I think elements are more of an abstract force inside my paradigm. The embodiment of such forces in being are more ‘elementals’ than ‘elements’ as far as I’m concerned, and while I’ve come across a few, my intuition is that ‘places’ belong to elementals more so than ‘people’ do, if that makes sense. I suppose it’s possible, but I just find myself instinctively asking, why would I be claimed lika a place instead of a person? Deep inside me a small voice answers that someone could ‘be’ an elemental in human form, similarly possessing places the same way as immaterial ones do, and thus feel like they belonged to a given element, but that’s one of those weird little UPGs that only make a fuzzy sort of sense to me.

Meritsekhmet
Journeyman
Last Login:January 18, 2011, 04:47:40 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic with Native American shamanic leanings
TCN ID: merisekhmet

Anpu made me do it.

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 26, 2007, 03:42:15 am »

I'm curious if you mean Isis--goddess of 10,000 Names, all mother, moon goddess of the Egypto-Greek-Romans or Aset--goddess of kings, magic and more solar than lunar. 

I ask because many that have communed with both say they have different personalities--some interpret this as two seperate deities and some as two sides of the same coin. 

FYI, Aset's personality is (shared personal gnosis) more demanding, straightforward, and possessive while Isis is THE Mother Goddess, compassionate and merciful. 

So, I'm curious as to which one you have a relationship with here. 

Hmmm.....that is a really good question.  The name that has always come to me is Isis, although I do honor many of her forms.  I think that's part of the reason I refer to her as Mommy, as she has always been compassionate and nuturing with me.

O.O

Now I feel the need to go commune with her. Grin

*runs off*

Dork of Massive Proportions
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 26, 2007, 05:36:28 am »

Hmmm.....that is a really good question.  The name that has always come to me is Isis, although I do honor many of her forms.  I think that's part of the reason I refer to her as Mommy, as she has always been compassionate and nuturing with me.

Aset tends to prefer the name Aset and not Isis, at least in my experience.  She made the distinction.  I used to call Her Isis and got a fuzzy warm response, then I called out Aset and had a dream of sorts and a poem stuck in my head.  And later on, I got a clue by four. 

So if it was Her, she'd probably let you know.  She's pretty upfront when she doesn't like something, most of the time. 

My website has information on Her if you are interested:  http://www.asetnet.net

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 26, 2007, 10:44:43 am »

Well, Old Dog kind of coalesced out of my baby stories and took up residence just out of sight.  He's not exactly Coyote, but not exactly not.  Coy-dogs are an established half-breed species around here, and so am I, so we fit.

I also have, and may have made up, a wiccish triple.  Flower, Herb, and Weed, connected to the moon and the seasons, with a fourth, Void, peeking around the edges.  They seem to be actually one being with three forms, and they trade aspects and attributes in a bewildering variety of ways.  I go by the eyes I see when I close mine to decide what name to use when.

Where can I learn more about this? I’d love to get details but am short on resources. You’re just the first person I’ve ever met that had any type of a working relationship with what sounds like a trickster deity. I’m also interested in the Native American undertones.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #24: July 26, 2007, 11:18:16 am »

Where can I learn more about this? I’d love to get details but am short on resources. You’re just the first person I’ve ever met that had any type of a working relationship with what sounds like a trickster deity. I’m also interested in the Native American undertones.

As far as tricksters go, there are a few people on here who follow tricksters from various pantheons.  I know Sunflower acknowledges Coyote and she's a bookmark junkie and a historian, so she may be able to point you towards some research materials.

As for me, I suffer the disability of having been raised in a culture rather than academically studying it, and a mixed culture at that.  I know my beliefs, and those of various of my cousins on the res, but in both cases it is mixed with other living traditions (Christianity, f'ex) and filtered through family, tribal, and political history.  I have no idea of the 'classical' or pure form of any FN religions; just the current form, admixtures and all.

As I've noted before, my baby stories were as apt to have King Arthur and Hiawatha going off on an adventure together as they were to have a deep lesson from Spider or Eagle.  And while I've studied the European stuff in school and can now separate it out I rarely bother.  I'm a religious and magical mutt and any and all academic overlay is after the fact and nothing close to instinctive.

Ask Sunflower.  She knows far more about, and has a better relationship with, our Fur-face than I do.  I think she also reads all threads, so she will probably show up here eventually. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 26, 2007, 01:15:20 pm »

As far as tricksters go, there are a few people on here who follow tricksters from various pantheons.  I know Sunflower acknowledges Coyote and she's a bookmark junkie and a historian, so she may be able to point you towards some research materials.

As for me, I suffer the disability of having been raised in a culture rather than academically studying it, and a mixed culture at that.

I never thought about it that way. What it must be like to be inside the glass bottle rather then studying it from the outside, so to speak. I just find the type of relationship you described to be very interesting because it’s a complete 180 from what you would expect from a human and god/deity partnership. You rather sound like two cranky old men, a great deal more comfortable with each other then any normal relationship. Like two old friends. It’s just something that I haven’t come across before.

You mentioned that your Old Dog was like the Coyote character but not, which makes me curious about what ways the two are different. You’re also in Canada and since the only Coyote information I’ve been exposed to is based in the South West regions I have to wonder how different or similar your take would be on that Coyote character.

May I ask which tribe you are predominantly from?

I’d also love to hear from anyone on this forum who has a similar easy relationship with their chosen deity. Perhaps a trickster from another part of the world?

(sorry. Am nosy and stubborn. [hangs head])

[waits for Sunflower to get back from the “real world”.]

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 26, 2007, 01:24:49 pm »

I’d also love to hear from anyone on this forum who has a similar easy relationship with their chosen deity. Perhaps a trickster from another part of the world?

Loki and I have...chatted.  Trickster deities in general tend to annoy me, although I think Raven and I would get along simply because of my relationship with the Morrigan.  Loki is the only trickster I've talked to who didn't straight-up annoy me.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: July 26, 2007, 07:16:55 pm »

And here I am.  While Absent's description of me is accurate, I don't know if I'll have a lot of resource suggestions; my relationship with Coyote is heavily UPG (that's "unverified personal gnosis", if you haven't run across it yet) based - though when I rummage about in my head, I realize I do have a fair selection of possible leads.  Are you able to be more specific about what you're looking for?

I just find the type of relationship you described to be very interesting because it’s a complete 180 from what you would expect from a human and god/deity partnership. You rather sound like two cranky old men, a great deal more comfortable with each other then any normal relationship. Like two old friends. It’s just something that I haven’t come across before.
<snip>
Those of us who have very close relationships with our deities (you'll hear terms like "thwapped" and "god-bothered" to refer to it), whether or not they're Trickster deities, often do conduct those relationships in a comfortable, casual-seeming way that doesn't fit what most folks would expect - some folks are outright shocked.  But if the deity is trying to develop a relationship that involves conversing, on a regular basis, all that formality and homage and such are counterproductive.  There are two or three threads currently active in which people are talking about their relationships with the Morrigan (there's a regular murder of Crow Girls'n'Guys here at TC) and who-knows-how-many past ones, especially if you count the archives; if you check those out, you'll get a look at a somewhat different flavor of that apparent casualness.

This can be even more pronounced with Tricksters - earnest solemnity is not their style.  TC has a high concentration of Set Kids - I don't recall any threads on the current board, but if you check the most recent archive (click on "2006 Archive" in the links on the left side of the page, and choose "guest" on the sign-in page) there are some good ones.

Nothing to apologize about - when handled properly, those can be very positive character traits.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 26, 2007, 08:48:53 pm »

(there's a regular murder of Crow Girls'n'Guys here at TC)

::ecstatic Dance!!!::

A De Lint reference!  I love it!

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: July 26, 2007, 09:14:52 pm »

A De Lint reference!  I love it!
Ha - I'm glad someone caught it!  The aptness of the phrase isn't dependent on folks knowing where I got it (obviously, since I'm using it w/r/t the Morrigan's thwappees, and de Lint's usage, at least as I've seen it [but I've only read a few of the Newford books], isn't really related to tM at all), but it's fun when someone catches it.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)