The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 07, 2020, 09:51:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 07, 2020, 09:51:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Belonging to a Deity  (Read 14353 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #30: July 26, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »

You mentioned that your Old Dog was like the Coyote character but not, which makes me curious about what ways the two are different. Youíre also in Canada and since the only Coyote information Iíve been exposed to is based in the South West regions I have to wonder how different or similar your take would be on that Coyote character.

Not all that dis-similar, really.  I started calling him a coy-dog a long time ago out of a kind of 'half-breed pride' thing and it got to be a habit.  Old Dog as a use name is because I start feeling ridiculously ceremonial if I address him as Coyote.  That has its place, and I have made ceremony on a couple of occasions where it was entirely appropriate and old-timey.  I avoid that when I can, though.  I get too caught up and weird things happen that I have to go to the experts (old people who require gifts or yardwork to get them to talk) for explanations.

Coyote in the stories I was told is a fire-bringer.  He has done many things to improve the lot of the People,  but don't attribute those things to pure altruism.  He is a trickster and most of the favours seem to have been to piss others off as much as to help the People.  I can't think of any gift that had only one motivation.  Sadly, I usually do things for many purposes at once as well.  I'm somewhat amoral and flexible with the truth, and I'm goal oriented rather than process-oriented.  Like Old Dog, my ethics are very situational and I approve of shallowness and inconsistent generosity, so I guess I really am 'one of his'.

May I ask which tribe you are predominantly from?

Depending on what source you're looking at, it's the Sarnia branch of the Chippewa/Ojibwe/Aashinaabe (I never put the right number of 'a's into that last one).  The res my family is connected to is called Aamjiwnaang.  I can never get the number of 'a's in that either, but it is pronounced ham-jyew-nong, more-or-less.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: July 26, 2007, 10:07:48 pm »

Those of us who have very close relationships with our deities (you'll hear terms like "thwapped" and "god-bothered" to refer to it), whether or not they're Trickster deities, often do conduct those relationships in a comfortable, casual-seeming way that doesn't fit what most folks would expect - some folks are outright shocked.  But if the deity is trying to develop a relationship that involves conversing, on a regular basis, all that formality and homage and such are counterproductive.

One of the reasons I'm fond of Weber's Bahzell series (starting with The War God's Own) is that Bahzell takes the whole process of being, basically, claimed as a paladin whether he wants it or not, with the sort of affable interaction that I'm familiar with from my own experience of the gods.  He tends to horrify humans with his responses to his god, because he is reasonably casual in his forms of address and generally bickersome -- as is appropriate in his culture for a respected leader.  (If I remember right, breaking out the formality is a sign of lack of respect, which is an impulse that I share.)

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 26, 2007, 10:34:24 pm »

(If I remember right, breaking out the formality is a sign of lack of respect, which is an impulse that I share.)

I like that idea a lot.  (Although I also can be formal with the deities I'm devoted to, some more than others.)    Somewhat related, I've realized recently that I often use humor as a way of showing respect.  Smiley

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: July 26, 2007, 10:55:38 pm »

I like that idea a lot.  (Although I also can be formal with the deities I'm devoted to, some more than others.)    Somewhat related, I've realized recently that I often use humor as a way of showing respect.  Smiley

Bahzell's people have ... to put it mildly ... very bad tempers.  The fencing in of responses in formalities is thus a sign that they need to put additional controls up so as not to lose those tempers. Wink

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: July 26, 2007, 10:57:24 pm »

Bahzell's people have ... to put it mildly ... very bad tempers.  The fencing in of responses in formalities is thus a sign that they need to put additional controls up so as not to lose those tempers. Wink

Ah, that makes sense.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #35: July 26, 2007, 10:58:59 pm »

(If I remember right, breaking out the formality is a sign of lack of respect, which is an impulse that I share.)

I walk kind of a strange line in that respect.  Formality is out of place most of the time, and can be used sarcastically or to accentuate mockery or complaint.  There is a certain kind of archaic usage, however, that is both ultra-formal and ultra-respectful. 

When I say 'make ceremony' I am (awkwardly) differentiating that kind of formality from easy reverence, and it takes everything (me, him, the surroundings) back a few thousand years and involves a very non-white style of address and interaction.

But, like I say, I tend to avoid that when I can.

Absent

'Shove me into shallow water, before I get too deep...'
Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: July 27, 2007, 12:39:51 am »

Ha - I'm glad someone caught it!  The aptness of the phrase isn't dependent on folks knowing where I got it (obviously, since I'm using it w/r/t the Morrigan's thwappees, and de Lint's usage, at least as I've seen it [but I've only read a few of the Newford books], isn't really related to tM at all), but it's fun when someone catches it.

I have to say that De Lint is my favorite author.  His usage of words is delicious and his characters are absolutely delectable.  The stories are a wonderful amalgam of current day here-and-now stuff mixed with a healthy dose of Native American legend and Anglo-European myth.  His perspective is just left of center to be engaging without losing the "maybe it is possible..." quality that seems to be lacking in so many stories now-a-days.

My favorite question posed in one of his short stories: What do gargoyles think of way up there?

For them who's innerested:

Excerpt from "Crow Girls"
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/crowgrls.htm

A Crow Girl Christmas
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/crowgirlsxmas.htm

::Sigh:: I could wax poetic about his work for hours but it's quite off topic so I'll just leave you with those links.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #37: July 27, 2007, 01:06:22 am »

it takes everything (me, him, the surroundings) back a few thousand years and involves a very non-white style of address and interaction.

I was thinking about this (I go over posts long after I hit 'post') and I wanted to make something clear. 

I don't believe Coyote gives a rat's @ss about race.  He has children all over the world, and what makes us kin is not genetics but mind-set and intellect.  What I should have said here was non-modern style of address and interaction.

It is hard to explain unless you've been there, but the place is outside of time.  Plant life is larger and more aggressive looking, and gives the idea that if you disappoint it it will get up and walk away.  Colours are shifted and harsher and almost have black lines separating them like a colouring book.  I can never find the source of the light, but it is bright there.

I think the place is deep far back in the mind of the evolved 'us'.  The formality of the vision is demanded by the age and solid reality of the place, a solider reality than every-day waking space.

I just wanted to clarify, because 'non-white' was a very poor descriptor outside of my personal heritage, and didn't give nearly the right idea of what I meant.

There is a reason I don't talk about this stuff. Tongue

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
salmanq
Last Login:July 27, 2007, 07:31:25 am
Pakistan Pakistan

Religion: islam

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 27, 2007, 07:29:53 am »

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:04:03 am by HeartShadow - Genevieve Wood, Reason: removing links until poster has identified as not-spammer » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: July 27, 2007, 08:03:16 am »

Salmanq, I have no idea what post you are referring to in your request.  Please use the quote function.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: July 27, 2007, 08:58:18 am »

I don't believe Coyote gives a rat's @ss about race.  He has children all over the world, and what makes us kin is not genetics but mind-set and intellect.

Personally, I really wish more people would understand this.  What matters is not what I believe, what matters is that I believe.  This includes, but is certainly not limited to, following the path laid out for your spirit not necessarliy that which would be indicated by your skin.

Quote from: Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
It is hard to explain unless you've been there, but the place is outside of time.  Plant life is larger and more aggressive looking, and gives the idea that if you disappoint it it will get up and walk away.  Colours are shifted and harsher and almost have black lines separating them like a colouring book.  I can never find the source of the light, but it is bright there.

I've heard of The First Forest which is supposed to be the archetypal forest to which all other forests are connected to and reflections of.  Could this be where you find yourself when in the mindset you indicated?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #41: July 27, 2007, 09:16:50 am »

1) How did you know that you "belonged" to this or these Deity?
Set told me so, in no uncertain terms.  That's how I knew.  Oddly, though, I wasn't put off by this, and instead I feel very proud to be His.  He put His arm around me, and I knew that this was a relationship to last a lifetime.

2) What does "belonging to" a Deity entail?
A heck of a lot of work, that's for certain.  Sometimes He breaks through and starts jabbering at me in the most inconvenient times - and then laughs at my discomfort.  It's a lot of fun, too.  I love having both Him and Djehuty over my shoulder, and watch Them respond in awe over modern technology and methods.  It's a lot of "what's this button do?".  They guide me to places They want me to be, and leave me to work my magic.  It involves being very careful with the words that come out of my mouth (or fingers, as the case may be).  It involves having a pager installed within my head, so I can be "beeped" at anytime, anyplace, for any reason.

Belonging to Set, and developing a similar relationship with Djehuty, is work intensive, but extremely rewarding.  Plus, They both like liquors.  Expensive liquors.  I've got my eye on an itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny $45 bottle of single malt scotch, which I was putting off until moving day, but I think I'll get it to celebrate a couple of Birthdays coming up next week. 

3) Is it possible to "belong to" an Element?
Personally, no, I dont.  It seems kinda silly to me, like saying "I belong to a post-it note."  But then, I "belong" to two deities Who are hell-bent on filling up what little cabinet space I have with expensive bottles of whisky.  So I guess anything is possible.  I still think it's kinda silly, though.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 27, 2007, 09:40:52 am »

Iíd also love to hear from anyone on this forum who has a similar easy relationship with their chosen deity. Perhaps a trickster from another part of the world?
Both Set and Djehuty can kinda-sorta (not really) be considered as 'trickster' gods.  Probably moreso Djehuty, He can be very tricky, and subtle about it, too.  Set's about as subtle as a rhino in a china shop, but that's what I love about Him.

My relationship with my deities is very casual, although I do engage in a frequent ritual (supposed to be daily, trying to work my way up to more than once a week) during which I am able to speak with Them.  I dont NEED that ritual, for certain, but it really helps make a clear connection between me and Them.  It's the difference between a staticky cell phone call that keeps dropping, and sitting directly across from the person you're talking to.

But either way, there is a lot of casual conversing, a lot of laughter, snickering and giggling, sharing of frustrations, just anything.  I've even told off Set a time or two, yelled at him, which was REALLY ballsy of me.  He puffed up for a brief moment, then he just laughed at me and patted my head.  It's amazing what you can accomplish when you get REALLY mad.  Seriously, I'm like Super-Woman.  Hear me roar.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #43: July 27, 2007, 10:21:09 am »

Are you able to be more specific about what you're looking for?

I think the more general we can get with information the better off Iíll be. Iíve only been studying seriously for about two years now and still feel like Iíve only gotten my feet wet! Is there anything that will cover a broad range of trickster deities? Perhaps focusing on some of the less well known personifications? Iím able to find information about Raven, Coyote, and Loki fairly easily. [Is there a better term than ďtrickster deitiesĒ? I feel like Iím falling into a stereotype and I know there is more to them than just that!]

Those of us who have very close relationships with our deities (you'll hear terms like "thwapped" and "god-bothered" to refer to it), whether or not they're Trickster deities, often do conduct those relationships in a comfortable, casual-seeming way that doesn't fit what most folks would expect - some folks are outright shocked.

I am starting to get the impression that human and deity relationship are vastly different than anything Iíve ever come across. I think Iím mostly getting this impression from mass culture and Christianity. Iím beginning to see that any deity I do actually meet with will probably be wearing cherry flavored lip gloss and drinking coffee!

Thank you for talking with me!

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #44: July 27, 2007, 10:26:47 am »

I am starting to get the impression that human and deity relationship are vastly different than anything Iíve ever come across. I think Iím mostly getting this impression from mass culture and Christianity. Iím beginning to see that any deity I do actually meet with will probably be wearing cherry flavored lip gloss and drinking coffee!

LOL the Christian mindset does seem to permeate every level of society. I was Christian once (for about a year) and I found that the mindset I needed was vastly different from the one that I had. It took a lot to break myself of the idea that I should be grovelling and repentant before the Gods. (I don't remmber who it was that said to me: "look, if you weren't worthy I wouldn't be speaking to you! Now shut up and listen!" I think it was Morrigu.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)