The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2021, 02:03:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 02:03:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: US Switch to Daylight Savings Time: 11 March 2007  (Read 13470 times)
darkpouka
Apprentice
Last Login:October 16, 2010, 02:11:59 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic ~still searching~ pagan

rapturously pregnant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 12, 2007, 03:07:12 pm »

My daughter worked sunday, and had 6 massage appointments.  Only 3 showed up.  she was a bit pissed!

We spent Saturday and Sunday calling all of our clients with appointments reminding them of the time change.  Even so Sunday morning was dead slow.  I think everyone was just asleep.

As for today I heard somewhere that it's been declared national "Nap" day.

~Mara

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."  ~Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: March 12, 2007, 03:31:37 pm »

What was the reasoning behind doing the time change so early this year? I tried to listen to the video on it but it wouldn't work. So does anyone know?  Huh

A piece from NPR's Morning Edition on the subject:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7786075

Although there's a "listen" link at the top, there's quite a bit of text to read as well.  Apparently it boils down to saving energy, and there's already been doubt shed on the idea that this change will be particularly effective at that.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 12, 2007, 05:59:01 pm »

....there's already been doubt shed on the idea that this change will be particularly effective at that.

Here's a link to a blog with links to article that cast a lot of doubt on the effectiveness of DST for saving energy. Not surprisingly, studies apparently show that what DST really does is shift energy use from evening to morning. When it is dark, people turn on lights. Amazing! Shocked

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #18: March 12, 2007, 06:46:39 pm »

Not surprisingly, studies apparently show that what DST really does is shift energy use from evening to morning. When it is dark, people turn on lights. Amazing! Shocked

Absolutely shocking.   Roll Eyes  (Hey!  We have an eyeroll smiley now!  Awesome!)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 12, 2007, 07:23:47 pm »

Absolutely shocking.   Roll Eyes  (Hey!  We have an eyeroll smiley now!  Awesome!)

Back in the dark ages - when I was in high school I think - they tried starting DST in February - And there we were standing at the bus stop in Southern California (which doesn't have a real big diference in length of days seasonally compared to Washington state anyway) in the pitch black.  You can imagine the parental outcry at that!
Edith
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 02, 2011, 09:37:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 12, 2007, 07:32:02 pm »

Here's a link to a blog with links to article that cast a lot of doubt on the effectiveness of DST for saving energy. Not surprisingly, studies apparently show that what DST really does is shift energy use from evening to morning. When it is dark, people turn on lights. Amazing! Shocked

That's right. But we should think that people would use lights during a shorter time than they would during evening/night. No? I don't know if what I'm trying to say is really clear...
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: March 12, 2007, 07:50:02 pm »

That's right. But we should think that people would use lights during a shorter time than they would during evening/night. No? I don't know if what I'm trying to say is really clear...

The NPR piece I posted raised an interesting point, too, though:  the way we use energy has changed.  Lights are just the beginning now.  Computers, bigger TVs than in the past, video game systems, DVD players, cable modems, all kinds of things like that--these things are on at particular times regardless of whether the sun's up or not, usually.  So expanding DST doesn't make as much of a difference as it used to in terms of energy consumption.  (Then you get people like my hubby and I whose lights are mostly compact flourescent bulbs, with very few of our regularly-used lights having incandescent bulbs anymore, and the impact lights have gets even lower...)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 12, 2007, 09:39:03 pm »

Back in the dark ages - when I was in high school I think - they tried starting DST in February

I think that was back in the 1970s right after the Arab Oil Embargo. Congress got the brilliant idea of going to Daylight Time year round. Children were walking to school in the dark of night during the winter in many parts of the country. This DID not go over well. Congress changed the law.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Edith
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 02, 2011, 09:37:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 12, 2007, 10:39:09 pm »

The NPR piece I posted raised an interesting point, too, though:  the way we use energy has changed.  Lights are just the beginning now.  Computers, bigger TVs than in the past, video game systems, DVD players, cable modems, all kinds of things like that--these things are on at particular times regardless of whether the sun's up or not, usually.  So expanding DST doesn't make as much of a difference as it used to in terms of energy consumption.  (Then you get people like my hubby and I whose lights are mostly compact flourescent bulbs, with very few of our regularly-used lights having incandescent bulbs anymore, and the impact lights have gets even lower...)

Hmm... Obviously, I've been caught in not reading all the links given!

I didn't think about all the electronics stuff we use... It will be interesting to see in the future which clan will be right.
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 13, 2007, 12:00:40 pm »

I think that was back in the 1970s right after the Arab Oil Embargo. Congress got the brilliant idea of going to Daylight Time year round. Children were walking to school in the dark of night during the winter in many parts of the country. This DID not go over well. Congress changed the law.

At least where I was it was just dark - not truly cold. 
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 13, 2007, 02:34:02 pm »

I have never understood how anyone could think this was a sensible idea.  Why not just change the times the office or the school is open if one wants to have this effect, rather than going through this bizarre demonstration of detachment from the rhythms of the natural world?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: March 13, 2007, 05:46:20 pm »

I have never understood how anyone could think this was a sensible idea.  Why not just change the times the office or the school is open if one wants to have this effect, rather than going through this bizarre demonstration of detachment from the rhythms of the natural world?

Probably because you don't think like a politician?  Wink

Also, Congress lacks the constitutional authority to tell businesses when to open and close (remember, Congress can't even require businesses to close for federal holidays), but they can change the time.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)