The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 22, 2021, 07:43:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2021, 07:43:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Crackers as Animal Effigy Sacrifices  (Read 9326 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 27, 2007, 08:46:51 pm »

I read a very interesting article I would like to share regarding two differing views of the use of animal crackers in ritual.

Revelry or Reverence?
http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usok&c=words&id=11803

(I am having a great deal of trouble posting this, I hope someone is not trying to tell me something)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 28, 2007, 11:13:35 am »

Revelry or Reverence?

Just more people looking for ways to be offended it seems.

And now I'm craving animal crackers....thanks Cheesy
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 28, 2007, 11:28:02 am »

What are animal crackers?  From context, I suspect they're not actually made of various animals. Smiley  In which case I can't see how any animals were harmed as such.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 28, 2007, 11:36:34 am »

What are animal crackers?  From context, I suspect they're not actually made of various animals. Smiley  In which case I can't see how any animals were harmed as such.

Animal crackers are animal shaped cookies. They've been around since I was a little kid (and I'm old), and came in a cool little box with a string handle:
http://a0.vox.com/6a00cd97843a3ef9cc00d4142ca7383c7f-500pi

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 28, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »

Animal crackers are animal shaped cookies. They've been around since I was a little kid (and I'm old), and came in a cool little box with a string handle:
http://a0.vox.com/6a00cd97843a3ef9cc00d4142ca7383c7f-500pi

I didn't concider the fact some my not be familiar with the product. (Thanks Ocelot) More info on the snack can also be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/animal_cracker

The whole issue reminded me of the joke - "Do vegetarians eat animals crackers?"
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 28, 2007, 02:25:42 pm »

Revelry or Reverence?

Wow, this article is um just wow. However, I wonder is it bad that when I saw the title I thought "Hmm, you know if you are squicked out by animal sacrifice why couldn't you use an effigy, like animal crackers, as a stand in for the sacrifice"

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 28, 2007, 04:33:04 pm »

I read a very interesting article I would like to share regarding two differing views of the use of animal crackers in ritual.

I could possibly be see being upset if Animal Crackers were substituted for an animal sacrifice in a religion where the Gods expected an real animal sacrifice, but in the context of the ritual described in the article getting upset because Animal Crackers were sacrificed because one is so against animal sacrifice that even sacrificing an animal cracker is too much is just over the top.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 28, 2007, 07:13:56 pm »

Wow, this article is um just wow. However, I wonder is it bad that when I saw the title I thought "Hmm, you know if you are squicked out by animal sacrifice why couldn't you use an effigy, like animal crackers, as a stand in for the sacrifice"

I had concidered this myself once, well not using animal crackers exactly, but making some animal shapes from bread paste. I never did go through with it though, it seemed kind of hypocritical.

What I gathered from the article was that the opposing group felt an animal's spirit would still be harmed in some way, which is something I didn't fully understand either. Huh
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 28, 2007, 08:43:26 pm »

Well, I read the article the other day, but didnt have time to respond.   

Basically, ummmmmmmmmmm I guess it takes all kinds? LOL

I would say if that particular group used animal crackers for sacrifice of some kind, that is fine, but that just meant they didnt have to eat the animal crackers being served!  They didnt have to get offensive because someone else didnt share their "animal crackers are only for animal sacrifice substition or something".) I did get that right didnt I?  Anyway, I think considering, she did the right thing by apologizing to keep peace.  So they were ummm strange, so they should have understood that not everyone uses them for sacrifice, but obviously, they are strange.  So therefore she did the best thing to keep peace considering.  I wonder if they go around snatching the animal crackers away from kids in the stores, or buying up all the boxes of animal crackers to save those poor spirits trapped in animal crackers! LOL

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 28, 2007, 09:58:40 pm »

What I gathered from the article was that the opposing group felt an animal's spirit would still be harmed in some way, which is something I didn't fully understand either. Huh
I'm inclined to the opinion that it's not really about animals' spirits at all, but that this is a means by which the opposing group can increase their sense of self-righteousness and importance by laying specious "political correctness" guilt trips on others.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 28, 2007, 10:03:44 pm »

I'm inclined to the opinion that it's not really about animals' spirits at all, but that this is a means by which the opposing group can increase their sense of self-righteousness and importance by laying specious "political correctness" guilt trips on others.

That would not surprise me as the whole idea of animal spirits being somehow harmed through the sacrifice of mass-produced animal-shaped cookies is over the top.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 28, 2007, 10:23:37 pm »

That would not surprise me as the whole idea of animal spirits being somehow harmed through the sacrifice of mass-produced animal-shaped cookies is over the top.

Maybe they were fundie vegetarians? That would be really hilarious, though I can understand using animal shaped items as stand ins for true animal sacrifice, that whole law of sympathy (?), but animal spirits being harmed, well then I must be an animal sadist cause darnit I love animal crackers and always eat them slowly...head first lol.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 31, 2007, 08:50:54 am »

Maybe they were fundie vegetarians? That would be really hilarious, though I can understand using animal shaped items as stand ins for true animal sacrifice, that whole law of sympathy (?), but animal spirits being harmed, well then I must be an animal sadist cause darnit I love animal crackers and always eat them slowly...head first lol.

If you were a true animal cracker sadist, you would eat them legs firs, slowly, up to the head.  Headfirst, they die too quick.  You want them to know they are being eaten.  Grin

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 31, 2007, 12:39:26 pm »

If you were a true animal cracker sadist, you would eat them legs firs, slowly, up to the head.  Headfirst, they die too quick.  You want them to know they are being eaten.  Grin

It's true. That's why you're always supposed to eat the head off the chocolate bunny first. Truly compassionate and respectful people break the head off before eating the ears.  Grin 

Betty  Smiley
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 31, 2007, 01:21:13 pm »

It's true. That's why you're always supposed to eat the head off the chocolate bunny first. Truly compassionate and respectful people break the head off before eating the ears.  Grin 

Betty  Smiley

OH NO NOT the ears!
LOL

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)