The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 13, 2021, 08:25:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2021, 08:25:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chaos the First  (Read 1803 times)
Benjamin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 31, 2007, 10:53:06 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 28, 2007, 07:54:13 am »

Dear all

After several months of sporadic study on chaos magic I have arranged tomorrow to be the day of my first Working.

Until I am able to ascertain the level of success or failure I won't go into detail on the aims of this Working as doing so may affect its outcome, but I will report on the experience in general terms on Monday. This will also be my first attempt at achieving gnosis which to be honest is of more concern to me than the Working itself.

It might have been prudent to practice gnosis before undergoing my first Working but I felt that I might learn more from getting it wrong than I would from getting it right, if that makes sense!

So, wish me luck and I will see you all on the other side. I'm off to finish my preparations.

Benjamin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 28, 2007, 08:15:23 am »

So, wish me luck and I will see you all on the other side. I'm off to finish my preparations.

Good luck -- and don't give up if your first attempt isn't a total success.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 28, 2007, 08:22:01 am »

Until I am able to ascertain the level of success or failure I won't go into detail on the aims of this Working as doing so may affect its outcome, but I will report on the experience in general terms on Monday. This will also be my first attempt at achieving gnosis which to be honest is of more concern to me than the Working itself.

Have you considered leaving the working for later, and practicing with one of the forms of achieving gnosis?  Some of the forms are useful to practice in and of themselves.  Meditation can be one form of gnosis by quiet - and I've found the meditative state to have a few practical applications excluding magic altogether.

I'd recommend practicing magic only when you're determined on success. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Benjamin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 31, 2007, 10:53:06 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 28, 2007, 12:43:17 pm »

I'd recommend practicing magic only when you're determined on success.

Thank you for your advice EverFool. My turn of phrase may have indicated I wasn't determined to succeed; however I cannot remember being this determined about anything. I am a pragmatist by nature and it is quite normal for me to think about the issue of failure. That does not mean I expect failure, but it means I know it is a possibility and I must prepare for that also.

On the subject of gnosis, I take your point about practising first but I am quite used to meditation already so the physical aspect of it will not be a problem. The only thing that concerns me is that I do not know what effect gnosis might have on me so I treat it with caution.

But caution notwithstanding, I feel I must just dive in and absorb whatever comes my way. When I begin tomorrow I will do so with the spirit of success and every inch of my being will be dedicated to the accomplishment of my goals. But I will also prepare myself for failure and be ready to recognise its causes should it be necessary.

I hope to bring you an interesting report come Monday.

Benjamin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)