The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 05:29:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 05:29:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Biggest Magical Mistake  (Read 8048 times)
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 30, 2007, 06:56:13 pm »

I thought it might be useful for the newer witches/magicians if the more experienced folk in here contributed to a list of magical mistakes they've made (come on, admit it, we've all had our fingers burned).

here's mine.

years ago, I has a huge fall out with a friend which could not be resloved becuase he wouldn't even speak to me.

so, on a wednesday, I called on mercury in his aspect as god of communication and performed a ritual to bring about the circumstances to get my friend and i talking.

the following monday he rang me to say another friend of ours had been attacked at the weekend and was in hospital in an induced coma with a serious brain injury which needed surgery Sad it got us talking but at what a price!

this was because I had rushed the planning of the ritual and hadn't covered all the bases (so to speak).

I obviously performed a healing ritual and he was brought out of the coma the day after surgey and physically he's fine but has suffered personality changes which have stayed with him. i have also suffered some physical misfortunes myself since then which i attribute to karma, but i suppose it's no less than i deserve for not being careful.

since then, when i occasionally perform rituals I'm always pretty scrupulous with the planning.

so, that's my biggest balls up. in the interests of education, what's yours?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:59:56 pm by Gwalchmai » Logged

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 30, 2007, 07:59:54 pm »

I thought it might be useful for the newer witches/magicians if the more experienced folk in here contributed to a list of magical mistakes they've made (come on, admit it, we've all had our fingers burned).

okay, I guess what works for me is keeping it all in balance.  I did a prosperity spell here while back.  It worked, but I didnt specify as strongly as I should have something in it, so it went a bit wrong.  Not bad, and I did some correction stuff, and it balanced out pretty well.   

I guess the key is, in whatever I do, I normally try to make sure that there is some love in it, so things like that dont happen again.  Just to make sure there is the right intent you know?

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Lyon
Apprentice
Last Login:May 21, 2008, 06:24:37 am

Religion: Humanist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 30, 2007, 09:48:48 pm »

Well, I guess it's more like slightly crispy as opposed to burned.

There was a man I was dating who was also dating another woman. He had told me he had to make a decision between us because both relationships were becoming serious to him.

So, I cast a spell for a man who would make me the most important relationship in his life. The spell worked great, but the man in question broke up with me and ended up married to the other woman! Needles to say, I was devistated at the time.

Six weeks later, I met my now husband. He tells me all the time how much he loves me and how important I am to him, however, to be with him, I had to sell my house on the beach and move to the middle of the country. I never specified WHERE this man who would make me #1 would come from. As it turns out the man God/dess chose for me lived 1400 miles away!!

We have been comfortably married for 7 years now. Except for missing the ocean, I have never been happier. Oh, and I miss my bigger shore-side house!  Wink

Pagan kids books - Magical Child BooksAn Ordinary Girl, A Magical Child & Aidan's First Full Moon Circle. Both in hard cover and full color.
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 30, 2007, 10:10:34 pm »

I think the "mistakes" I've made were done when I was very young (beginning adolscence) and trying things for the first time. I think the first spell I ever tried was one I messed up - nothing bad happened, it just didn't work. I wrote my goal on a piece of paper (I can't remember what it was I wanted - something rather mundane, I think), and then tore it up. I had read about common writing spells which usually call for you to burn the paper and scatter the ashes, or to at least scatter the paper itself to the wind - but I just tossed my pieces of paper in the trash afterward. Cheesy So yeah, that didn't work. That sort of taught me the importance of symbolically "sending forth" one's petitions.

Another one was when I tried to do a healing spell for a friend who was sick. I planned to make a get-well charm for her. But in my ritual, when I finally raised enough power, I instinctually released it upward, rather than into the charm. Which might have been just as well, but as soon as I realized what I'd done, I said, "oh no - COME BACK ENERGY!!" and essentially stopped my own spell from working. My friend got better eventually, of course, but no thanks to me. Grin

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 30, 2007, 11:37:18 pm »

Ah, yes, I remember it well!

I was no beginner either, so I have no excuse. My problem was I wasn't truthfull to myself about why I was doing the spell. I said the spell was for harmony in the workplace and centered it on a woman in the office who was causing friction.

I tried to word it so accurately that there would be no chance of a "foul up".

But, you really can't lie to yourself, your heart always knows the truth!

I ended up getting fired!

But it was a good lesson. I learned that the work is what it is. It is an entity unto itself.  It is born from your heart, not your words. Words are only a tool. The source and force are from within. It is your bare naked intentions that give it life.

Blessings along your path.

moonmarquette
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 28, 2007, 01:02:10 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 31, 2007, 09:58:27 am »

I have 2 of them for you!

1) When I was 16, bright-eyed, invisible, and thinking I know everything.. this girl was bothering my boyfriend. And I had heard that if you burn a hair of your opposer then they'll leave you alone. Unfortunately the information was from one of those silly skinny books "Spells and whatnots" kind of thing and I wasn't well informed, hurt, and green-eyed. So I got what I thought was one of her hairs.. and ended up being one of mine, apparently. He dumped me a week or so later, I lost my job, and I got into a car accident. It was a nasty situation. I learned my lesson quickly.
2) The second wasn't a mistake, but ended up being something I hadn't expected (and not regretted). I was doing a braid of wishes/intentions and one of them was for our (husband and I) love to grow and for me to able to sincerely feel it and accept it. 4 months later, I was pregnant. We dated for 10 years and I was never pregnant until after I did the braid. Smiley Like I said.. she's not a mistake, but she's a good example of what happens when you're not really clear. Heh.

"There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off."
- Lord Byron
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 31, 2007, 10:58:42 am »

I never did a lot of magic, and the only "mistake" I can think of was when I was very young (8 years old or so) and had a SRW book as my entire occult knowledge. I did a "sunshine spell" because I wanted to go outside and play. I don't know if it had any effect at all, but we were in the middle of a drought at the time (which I was unaware of. I just wanted it to be sunny so I could play outside.)

2) The second wasn't a mistake, but ended up being something I hadn't expected (and not regretted). I was doing a braid of wishes/intentions and one of them was for our (husband and I) love to grow and for me to able to sincerely feel it and accept it. 4 months later, I was pregnant. We dated for 10 years and I was never pregnant until after I did the braid. Smiley Like I said.. she's not a mistake, but she's a good example of what happens when you're not really clear. Heh.

This reminds me of a ritual I did about a year ago. I intended to acquire a teacher, because I felt I'd learned all that I could from books and online communities and needed to be *shown* some things. I wasn't clear in my intent though, and what happened, was I ended up becoming my *own* teacher! A blog full of essays and a new path was born.

I definitely don't regret it for a minute! But it's not what I thought I wanted.

Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 31, 2007, 09:08:01 pm »

When I was young, I loved going to my grandparents' house. I remember wishing I could live there. Well, after about five years I got my wish and it was awful. I also remember really disliking my elementary school and wishing that I wasn't there. Same thing, I went from bad to worse. These two situations were perfect examples of be careful what you wish for  Wink.
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 01, 2007, 11:45:05 am »

When I was young, I loved going to my grandparents' house. I remember wishing I could live there. Well, after about five years I got my wish and it was awful. I also remember really disliking my elementary school and wishing that I wasn't there. Same thing, I went from bad to worse. These two situations were perfect examples of be careful what you wish for  Wink.

Aw dang.  I can second that "be careful what you wish for" bit.  When my relationship died and I found out who my ex was dating, I thought about all of our favorite restaurants and pretty much just said out loud that he'd better not take her there.  Well, a couple of months later, our favorite mexican place burned down.  And a couple of months after that our favorite itallian place went out of buisness.  Those were the two places it was important to me not to be sullied up by the new relationship (yes, I was Very bitter).  I don't know if I Actually think that I did it, because it was simply an angry thought, but it Did give me a good kick in the pants!  It certainly makes me think hard before I just say something like that when I angry.

Guen  ~:)
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 01, 2007, 04:08:12 pm »

My mistake made me realize the NEED for proper grounding.

My boyfriend wanted into a class, but registration was closed because the class was full.  If he couldn't get into this class, he'd have to spend an extra semester in school because this was a prerequisite to student teaching.  So... I cast a spell.

I used my laptop and pulled up browser windows of his university, the registrar's page, and the course area. I concentrated on the class he wanted to get into, raised some energy and sent it out -- into the laptop, through the Internet connection, to the University, and on to the registrar's office and the department.  Opening the way for him, so he could speak to the professor and try to find a way in.

I did this on a weekday night.

The next morning, MY university's network was down for a good part of the day.  The network I was connected to when I sent out my spell.  No email, no web page, no nothing.  My place of employment had a commercial Internet service, so it wasn't me, it was just MY university.  Later I learned from my boyfriend that HIS university's network was down at the same time, he was trying to check his email and got page display errors.

Whoops.

He did get into the class, though, so hurray for our side.  The funny thing was, he didn't describe the class properly to me.  I thought it was a history class, so I concentrated on a history class.  It was an English literature class.

He talked to the professor, and the English class was all full up, no room, period.  BUT the class was actually a two-parter. Half was spent with literature, and the other half was spent in HISTORY!  The class had two scheduling names, one was ENGL###, and the other was HIST###, which had exactly one space left.  They signed him up for the HIST###, and all's well that ends well.

The next time I cast a spell using a network, I made extra-special sure to achieve a proper ground.  No more network outages, thank goodness.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Pythiana
Apprentice
Last Login:December 04, 2007, 03:22:01 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Under Construction

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 01, 2007, 10:59:14 pm »

The one that comes to mind for me happened about a year ago.  I formed a close bond with my supervisor at work (I know, it's trouble) and she was having trouble with our manager.  He's a manipulator, and very selfish.  She came to me for help and asked me to do some spell work for her just to keep backstabbers and liers away from her.  I did exactly what she asked of me, but it didn't turn out the way she wanted it to.  She ended up being fired 2 weeks later because of his manipulation and egotism.  I guess it wasn't so much a mistake on my part, because I did what she asked, but I could've been more specific about her keeping her job. 

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 01, 2007, 11:22:18 pm »

She came to me for help and asked me to do some spell work for her just to keep backstabbers and liers away from her.  I did exactly what she asked of me, but it didn't turn out the way she wanted it to.  She ended up being fired 2 weeks later because of his manipulation and egotism.  I guess it wasn't so much a mistake on my part, because I did what she asked, but I could've been more specific about her keeping her job. 

Well it kept the backstabbers and liars away from her.  I hope she is doing well now!

Gina Smiley

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 02, 2007, 10:28:53 pm »

Oh lord, none of mine are 'truely magic', but they relate. Sort of. In that they're lovely goof-ups.

My first-ever tarot deck is definately my favorite, but it can be... well, cranky. If I don't keep it charged, or bring it out of the box every so often, or just do a simple three-card reading once in a while, it refuses to pull from wherever I've told it to for energy. It chooses to drain *me* instead. I first found this out when I'd put it away for a few weeks. (My folks didn't have a clue I had it, and I was in that rebellious teenager phase where I never told them anything important... So yeah.)

Anyway, it'd been a few weeks, and I was new enough to the whole thing (and didn't realize it'd woken up already) to not be firm with it and say "Draw from here, not from me!" I ended up with the BIGGEST headache, and couldn't drag myself out of bed until 5 minutes til I had to leave the next morning. And I didn't even get a decent reading. Undecided

Also, I'd been having a feeling I should do a reading on myself as it'd been a while, but I just wanted to practice my readings and, let's face it, didn't want to have anything confirmed for me thanks, so I offered to do one for an online friend. I started pulling cards for a fairly simple five-card layout, and started interpreting it. All the while I was thinking, "Hmm, that sounds like what's going on for me..." After about the third card I asked my friend if any of it made sense, and he said no. "Damnit, the deck's doing my reading then." *shakes fist at deck*

So I finished it, acknowledged that I already knew all that, and did a reading for my friend that was right on the money. *sigh* I'm hoping my next deck doesn't wake up on the wrong side of the box, so to speak.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 03, 2007, 08:54:31 am »

My first-ever tarot deck is definately my favorite, but it can be... well, cranky. If I don't keep it charged, or bring it out of the box every so often, or just do a simple three-card reading once in a while, it refuses to pull from wherever I've told it to for energy. It chooses to drain *me* instead. I first found this out when I'd put it away for a few weeks. (My folks didn't have a clue I had it, and I was in that rebellious teenager phase where I never told them anything important... So yeah.)

My first and only tarot deck seems to like me, or at least, it doesn't get "cranky" with me. It never draws energy from me (I didn't know they did that). However sometimes it's absolutely dead wrong. I've started adding a "one rune drawing" to my "one card drawing" daily (I've just started work with the Runes) and one day I drew the Three of Swords and Uruz. Uruz was right. Three of swords was way off the mark.

*sigh* I'm hoping my next deck doesn't wake up on the wrong side of the box, so to speak

LMAO!!

lilacgoddess
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 11, 2007, 11:37:51 am

Religion: Pagan, spiritual seeker

"Follow my lead, not my footsteps."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 03, 2007, 08:03:06 pm »

in the interests of education, what's yours?

In the way of magical mistakes, there are very few. In the way of not-so-magical as spiritual mistakes, my biggest one was very recent. About a year and a half ago, I had the biggest blow-out of all time in the history with my parents. I made the rough decision to move 1600 miles away, and manifested never coming back. My mistake was not manifesting very well in my anger, and forgetting what I needed out there. I wound up manifesting for all the wrong reasons,resulting in debt, poverty, and unhappiness. It was the hardest thwack with metaphorical two-by-fours I've ever experienced. In essence, in my anger I manifested anger and unhappiness. Never, ever again, eh? Undecided

"Always remember who you are and where you came from, and never shy away."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.