The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 08:01:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 08:01:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Biggest Magical Mistake  (Read 8544 times)
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 03, 2007, 11:06:19 pm »

in the interests of education, what's yours?

Um, before I even knew what wicca was (I was like 12), I tried to change my eye color, because I stumbled onto a "wicca" site with "spells" on how to change your eye color.  (Mind you, I actually never seen the craft back then.)  I tried it, thinking that lighting a candle, and saying some words were actually going to change my eyes.  They stayed brown. Hehehehe.  Silly little Sydnee.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

KatAutumn
Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2015, 04:48:54 pm

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 04, 2007, 03:28:17 am »

but as soon as I realized what I'd done, I said, "oh no - COME BACK ENERGY!!"

That tickled me  Cheesy.

One night I decided I was going to try my hand at water scrying. The only suitable bowl I had was my mini-cauldron. I followed some directions I found in a book to drop some black candle wax into the water and gaze at the shapes it forms. Well, I forgot I had mixed up some Gum Arabic and other herbs in that same cauldron and forgot to clean it out first. I saw visions alright - visions of gunk floating all around in my cauldron! I got so aggravated that I dumped the water out and decided I would clean the mess the next day. By the next day my cauldron had rusted. I've come a long way since then LOL
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 04, 2007, 09:24:07 am »

One night I decided I was going to try my hand at water scrying. The only suitable bowl I had was my mini-cauldron. I followed some directions I found in a book to drop some black candle wax into the water and gaze at the shapes it forms. Well, I forgot I had mixed up some Gum Arabic and other herbs in that same cauldron and forgot to clean it out first. I saw visions alright - visions of gunk floating all around in my cauldron! I got so aggravated that I dumped the water out and decided I would clean the mess the next day. By the next day my cauldron had rusted. I've come a long way since then LOL

And how did you interpret that gunk? Grin

I was never any good at scrying honestly. All I could ever manage to see was my own reflection. Just when I start to have visions I blink, and have to start all over again.

Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 05, 2007, 10:18:38 am »

That tickled me  Cheesy.

Hahaha, I was going to do some water scrying with a red candle today.
I'll be extra sure to use a clean bowl.
=D

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 05, 2007, 10:31:06 am »

I thought it might be useful for the newer witches/magicians if the more experienced folk in here contributed to a list of magical mistakes they've made (come on, admit it, we've all had our fingers burned).

A fertility spell after which I got pregnant and miscarried.  Repeatedly.  Evidently you can't force these things.
A spell for my then fiance and I to stay in love and work things out.  Worked well to make *me* stay in love, not so much him.  Took me years to get him out of my head.

Maybe you can see why I tend not to do spells anymore :lol:

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 05, 2007, 11:16:17 am »

Maybe you can see why I tend not to do spells anymore :lol:

Yes, I rarely do them myself anymore either. It can be a difficult lesson to learn when to interfere and when not to interfere with the "cosmic order". Now I mostly limit myself to spells of protection.
Nylphenia
Apprentice
Last Login:September 29, 2007, 09:39:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: witch = n/a

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 08, 2007, 06:02:59 pm »

hmm - my biggest screw ups have been when doing instinctual magics rather then researching, which was like for the first two years of jumping in head first.

very first ritual i did over 10 years ago. at the time my new boyfriend when we got together was finishing the relationship from his last g/f. the night they met to end it once and for all i did a binding on her to not harm anyone else maliciously with intent or herself.. i focused on the part of her intentionally hurting me, him or herself (she was threatening to kill me). what i did not focus on was her getting hurt Unintentionally through her actions (opps) later that night i found out (when her returned from their talk) that at one point she got very, very angry and lashed out at him, and hit him on the collar bone with her hand. she ended up breaking two bones in her hand when she hit him. (i figured out the reason "and it harm none" that night very clearly!)

the first time i did a deep connection with gaia. it was during a solar eclipse during the retrograde. i took my materials (tobacco, water, incense & fire) did up a circle (i knew that much at least) and connected down into gaia. what i did not know about was grounding or attaching a cord to easily return to my body, so rather then a half hour - 3 hours later i finally came back, it was all of 2 degrees out in November, i was frozen stiff and very foggy in the mind for the rest of the day. needless to say the next few months was spent gaining a really good grounding cord (which opened whole new aspects actually so that was a great lesson) over all it was a wonderful experience, feeling the rabbits in the field when they thumped their feet through the ground.. etc it was great - though a little scary to be so lost too.

the other one that stands out in my mind is when i learnt how to keep the familiars of those that you are doing a working for from joining your working unless invited! a friend's whole family was sick, and i wanted to send healing energy, rather then sending it through the air - i chose to send it via the lay-lines within gaia. just (again) going on instinct i cast my circle, drew into the earth a pentical and wrote each family members name into a point of the star. concentrated on them getting well, had a candle for each of them at their names etc.. it was a wonderful spell done at night and it worked. what i had forgotten was that the husband whom was the sickest of all of them (both parents are magic workers) had a strong association to spiders. during the spell his candle attracted a huge amount of spiders that circled the candle, kinda bobbed around it while i did the working and then trailed off. it was the strangest experience i think i have ever had. i am just glad that i am not adverse to spiders or that would have scared the crap outta me and broken the spell. thankfully i had the instinct to wash the pentical away with water once the ritual was done with. (as per usual) the next day and for months after i tried (in vain) to research what it was that i had done, but to no end result. (if anyone knows anything about earth writing spells - please contact me!)

more often then not my rituals are not really planned out other then a basic idea of associated elements (what candle colours/incense to use etc..) not all that formal but they work.. i tend not to write them out or anything - it is all the focus of intent of the soul - the purity of that seems to work it's best.. but i have had to learn to understand the need of grounding, centering etc the hard way.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #22: August 08, 2007, 06:46:24 pm »

Nylphenia,

Please remember to quote the post you are replying to, so we have the linkbacks.  It is important to do this even when it seems obvious to you, or when you are replying to the first post in the thread.

Marilyn
Message Board Staff

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Julea
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 05, 2009, 11:24:16 pm

Religion: none of the above

taffy junkie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 08, 2007, 07:09:11 pm »

so, that's my biggest balls up. in the interests of education, what's yours?

I don't do magic, but I once tried to read for myself with my friend's creepy tarot deck. It's either very possessive of her, or it hates me. Or maybe both.

Nothing major happened, though: the reading made no sense and I got a stomachache.

Holy short attention span, Batman!
Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 08, 2007, 07:20:34 pm »

I don't do magic, but I once tried to read for myself with my friend's creepy tarot deck. It's either very possessive of her, or it hates me. Or maybe both.

Nothing major happened, though: the reading made no sense and I got a stomachache.

Was it creepy because of it's possessiveness and the results, or was it creepy because of the art?
Because, lemme tell you, some Tarot art needs to be chucked in the trash.

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
Moone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2007, 09:06:36 pm

Religion: eccentric eclectic witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 09, 2007, 03:32:52 am »

I thought it might be useful for the newer witches/magicians if the more experienced folk in here contributed to a list of magical mistakes they've made (come on, admit it, we've all had our fingers burned).

Oh, jeez! Here's mine...

A friend of mine came over for dinner one night and she was complaining about how hard it was to find someone to love. She thought maybe I might have some insight or perhaps a spell that she could use to bring love into her life.

Well, my friend was new to Witchcraft, and I didn't feel really comfortable handing her a how-to love spell. I was worried her emotions would be too heightened and would affect the spell. However, she kept talking about how sad and lonely she was, so on the spur of the moment I decided to do a quick love spell for her.

I was cooking spaghetti at the time, and since my friend is allergic to mushrooms, I was making a smaller separate batch of sauce for her. I pulled out my trusty herbs, sprinkled them in her spaghetti sauce while saying a quick spell, then served her up a big ol' helping of love. Kiss

A week later my friend came back around, very flustered, asking just what in the hell did I put in that sauce! I told her just a few herbs for love. She then goes on to tell me that not 1, but 3 of her ex-boyfriends contacted her over the last week, all of them wanting to rekindle the old flame with her.

I will admit, I laughed... hard!  Cheesy She was so worked up about the whole thing, unable to believe that these ex's would even think of contacting her again. I asked her if she loved them, any of them, at one time. Yes, she said, she had loved each of them while with them, but one was a drunk, one was a cheater and the other was still tied to his mother's apron strings. No way would she ever consider dating any one of them again.

So, I got to thinking about the spell. I realized that I hadn't necessarily been specific with the wording. Actually, all I had said was that I wanted love to come into her life. I didn't specify that I wanted a true and positive love in her life, just love. And that's just what she got... threefold!  Shocked

We laughed about the whole thing later and no real ill effects came from the experience, but it did teach me a lesson about thinking a spell through completely before charging ahead with it.

Needless to say, my friend won't eat my spaghetti sauce anymore and warns anyone at my house to not eat it either, LOL!

Well, that's my brain-fart moment in magick...  Roll Eyes  Embarrassed

Blessings & HUGS~
Moone

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity."
~E.A. Poe
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: August 09, 2007, 05:01:34 am »

what i did not focus on was her getting hurt Unintentionally through her actions (opps) later that night i found out (when her returned from their talk) that at one point she got very, very angry and lashed out at him, and hit him on the collar bone with her hand. she ended up breaking two bones in her hand when she hit him. (i figured out the reason "and it harm none" that night very clearly!)

I fail to see how it's your fault that something *she* did has repercussions.  Noone striking another person should *expect* to get away unscathed.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #27: August 09, 2007, 05:09:12 am »

then served her up a big ol' helping of love. Kiss

That brought to mind an incident from a few years ago.  I was doing a tarot party and one of the guests was a woman I new slightly from other circumstances.  She brought the conversation around to love spells and over the course of the evening I got somewhat fed up and ended up giving her one.  It was a fairly traditional bit of folk magic, a 'cookbook' spell that doesn't take any experience to do, involving pennies in the underwear drawer.  I did caution her not to underestimate it just because it was funny and simple.

Well, three pennies didn't seem like much to her, so she emptied her entire penny jar into the drawer, and repeated the charm a few extra times just to 'nail it'.  Her results were similar to your friend's; over the course of the next month every slob and degenerate she had already rejected came out of the woodwork, and every unattached male she met tried to pick her up.  (not attached ones - the charm was specific about that).

Luckily, this was more of a lust spell, and short-lived.  The problem worked itself out in three months, and while I still meet her at parties and such around town she no longer asks me for spells.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Moone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2007, 09:06:36 pm

Religion: eccentric eclectic witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 09, 2007, 05:26:38 am »

Luckily, this was more of a lust spell, and short-lived.  The problem worked itself out in three months, and while I still meet her at parties and such around town she no longer asks me for spells.

Absent

HAHA! Funny how those "little" spells can get away from us. But it does seem to tame the love seekers a little.

My friend ended up doing a love spell of her own later for a man that she was just crazy about. She called me later and told me what she had done, then asked me to help her undo it. Though it was creative and seemed harmless in theory, the poor guy was bound up tight! He couldn't even carry on a conversation with her like they normally did. We eventually were able to undo the spell, but OY!
Needless to say, she learned a valuable lesson of her own that time. I don't think she has worked a love spell since.

I personally choose to avoid love spells. Too much emotion, too much to go wrong. Whoever said love is blind was probably the caster of a love spell gone bad!  Grin

Blessings~

Moone

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity."
~E.A. Poe
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 09, 2007, 12:54:25 pm »

I fail to see how it's your fault that something *she* did has repercussions.  Noone striking another person should *expect* to get away unscathed.

Exactly the way I see it. But then, I don't tend to add that little "harm none" clause into my workings. I think if  you attack someone innocent you deserve to be hurt. I wouldn't consider this a failure so much as a wayward success. ::grins::

I personally choose to avoid love spells. Too much emotion, too much to go wrong. Whoever said love is blind was probably the caster of a love spell gone bad!

So do I. I get a bit squicky about the free will issues involved, and I don't want to attract every slimeball out there either. Actually I haven't encountered anyone my age who I would be willing to fall in love with, so I definitely don't want to attract random love!!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.