The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 03:50:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 03:50:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Divination Before Rituals  (Read 6175 times)
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 30, 2007, 07:01:53 pm »

I believe it's very important to do some form of divinastion before a ritual to see if it's teally necessary.

does anyone else use this safeguard?

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 30, 2007, 07:15:55 pm »

I believe it's very important to do some form of divinastion before a ritual to see if it's teally necessary.

I don't, but all of my rituals are celebratory in nature; I don't do ritual spell-casting or the like.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 30, 2007, 07:51:28 pm »

I'm a pretty lazy person so if I'm going through all the prep work for a ritual in the first place, then I've probably done everything else that I can think of already. So, in that case, doing a reading wouldn't make sense.

For you, has a reading changed how you do a ritual? Or even stopped you from doing a ritual you had already planned out?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 30, 2007, 07:57:56 pm »

If you are going to be doing a ritual for just magic, then divination before and after is reasonable.

If the ritual is purely religious celebration, then no need for divination before hand. There might, depending upon the religion, be a need for a divination near the end of the ritual.
Lyon
Apprentice
Last Login:May 21, 2008, 06:24:37 am

Religion: Humanist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 30, 2007, 09:56:48 pm »

I actually consider divination a form of ritual, so doing one beforehand would be besides the point.

The majority of my rituals do not include some form of spell casting but are done more for expressing gratitude and honoring the Divine involvemnet in my daily life. In fact, I can count on my fingers all the spells I have cast in the last 10 years and still have plenty left over.  Grin

Pagan kids books - Magical Child BooksAn Ordinary Girl, A Magical Child & Aidan's First Full Moon Circle. Both in hard cover and full color.
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 30, 2007, 10:32:02 pm »

I always do if I am doing a magical working, but not if it's a holiday celebration. I do not need to know if things are 'right' to celebrate say, the Winter Solstice. I'm going to have a big dinner and tree and family etc no matter what!

I always do at the very least a tarot reading before casting what I term a 'Big Deal' Spell, of which I cast perhaps one or two annually. I do the divination far ahead of the actual planning and timing of the spell, in fact the divination helps me find the best time. I will wait until I feel very clear and confident as to my intent and focus. Tarot helps me see what may be operating on deeper levels that may effect the outcome.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 30, 2007, 10:42:35 pm »

I don't think it's all that necessary. The way I see it, if I'm at all unsure about the outcome I shouldn't be doing the ritual. Of course, that applies to the very few magical workings I do, and I only do magic for very important things. When I do it, I'm sure of what I need to be doing, and if I'm not, I don't do it.

Most of my rituals are just religious in nature and if I do any sort of divination (I did one for Samhain for instance) it's just because I want to do it as part of the ritual.

ETA: I'm not all that good at divination anyway, so I tend to trust my instinct more than my cards (or Runes, which I might start using in this fashion once I've used them more than twice).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:44:56 pm by Dania » Logged

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 05:27:34 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 30, 2007, 10:45:26 pm »

I often do a divination before doing magic to see if there are any influences I'm not aware of that would make it a bad time to do the magic (or other such issues). I basically use divination like I would a weather forecast if I were planning a weekend of outdoor activity.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 31, 2007, 11:55:11 am »

For you, has a reading changed how you do a ritual? Or even stopped you from doing a ritual you had already planned out?

a negative reading wouldn't really change how I perform a ritual but it has caused me to delay a couple and cancel one altogether.

this turned out to be the right thing to do, about 3 weeks later I received the answer i was looking for without any intervention on my part.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 31, 2007, 02:27:55 pm »

I don't to see if it'ss *necessary*, since it's not like just doing a spell, but I see ritual as a communion,celebration, many things. It depends if I feel the need for one or not and the question usually only arises if there are circumstances, for example my health, timing in accordance to events that have me in a different mind state,etc.

I think it can be a nice safeguard, but I usually only do a divination if i'm unsure when working magic/spellwork with a tarot layout I have for spellcasting.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 31, 2007, 04:50:39 pm »

For me it would very much depend on the nature of the ritual, and on circumstances. As a general precaution I can see it's a usefulness, but it's not necessarily something I do, it very much depends on the situation and circumstances. (And no that doesn't mean I would just up and do something on a whim without consideration for consequence or necessity.)

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 31, 2007, 08:22:58 pm »

Count me in the "It depends on what's going on" approach.

For group work: we rarely do divination specifically: our rituals are usually hashed out among multiple people, and if someone has a concern, it usually shows up intuititively. We have occasionally done communal divination about things like whether someone is approaching being ready for initiation, but that's a different sort of thing.

For personal work, it still depends. I generally phrase my magical workings as openended (f'example: bring me job opportunities that would be best for me: here's the stuff I really care about') rather than "I really want X new job. I wouldn't do divination specifically for the magical part of that: I might do divinatory or personal shadow work relating to what I really want to focus on in a job. (Public library vs. school, for example, or "Lots of people vs. small community" or whatever.)

Celebratory ritual, daily practice, etc. I wouldn't do divination *for*, though I may do divination as part of the ritual itself (but then, not focusing on "Should I do this ritual this way", but some different question.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Ravenari
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 01, 2011, 07:04:42 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Spiritual Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 31, 2007, 08:52:40 pm »

For me, it depends on the ritual. If it involves spellwork that is attempting to heal or work with another person (usually with their consent, but not always) I will usually consult the tarot or the runes to get an idea of whether this is a good idea, whether I'm the right person to be doing the ritual, and potential outcomes. But it will also depend on the advice of my ancestors too, which I tend to feel or hear through UPG.

For personal spellwork, like prosperity magic, self-healing, pathworking in general, I tend not to divine beforehand. If I can't trust enough in my own instincts, and in my relationship with the gods and ancestors that I need to check through a divinatory tool that isn't my body... then for me personally it shows a lack of trust and faith in myself.

If I am being drawn to do a spell for myself, and then furthermore am receiving a 'green light' so to speak from my spirit guides or ancestors, then to go one step further and consult the cards feels like I'm just going 'well, I don't really believe in the first few... so I'll just go to the tarot now.' I know it doesn't need to be interpreted that way, it is how it feels for me. I like to have faith in myself and my instincts, through doing so they become further honed.

For most other rituals, divination isn't something I feel necessary at all, except of course when I'm doing divination rituals.  Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.