The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 16, 2019, 12:44:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:44:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worst book  (Read 21512 times)
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: August 01, 2007, 06:45:26 pm »

The Ann Moura I'm talking about has this web site -- I saw no mentions of Bush conflicts there, but did see she has a new "history" book coming out.

Must be a different Ann Moura then.  Wink

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 01, 2007, 07:09:18 pm »

Using Microsoft Word to type out money spells in a green font.

*grins*  I've seen that book, and it's just badness.  But as an aspiring technopagan/magician, I have to say that particular sounds like something I would do.  Wink  Although, being me, I'm more likely to do it in Adobe Illustrator and make little vector illustrations/objects as part of the spell.  I've sigiled in Paint Shop Pro before.  Cheesy
/offtopic

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 01, 2007, 07:11:13 pm »

My pet peeve is Sister Moon's The Wiccaning.  Though published in 2001, it's not Pop Pagan NeoWicca, but old-school witchcrap, with an old-school "grandmother story" to go with it.

At one point my friend and I had a hobby of snarking books in the Pagan section of bookstores.  That was one of our "favorites".  (I think I might have told you this before - not sure.)

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 01, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

Seriously the worst has to be the Malleus Maleficarum the fifteenth century Catholic manual on how to identify and persecute witches.  Hugely popular in its day - it coincided with the invention of printing and a contribution to widespread fear and persecution.

NO KIDDING!  I just went to sacred-texts yesterday and was doing some research on something.  Guess what popped up!  That drivel just about made me sick!  GAG.

I finally stopped reading in disgust, as it was basically giving me the same info I had already found at wikipedia, and wikipedia wasnt putting witches or women down! 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: August 01, 2007, 10:40:34 pm »

I saw no mentions of Bush conflicts there, but did see she has a new "history" book coming out.
I think in this instance it should be spelled hiss-tory.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: August 01, 2007, 10:51:48 pm »

Since I'm just passing peripheral-to-topic conversational remarks with Garnet here, I'll put 'em in one post.

*grins*  I've seen that book, and it's just badness.  But as an aspiring technopagan/magician, I have to say that particular sounds like something I would do.  Wink  Although, being me, I'm more likely to do it in Adobe Illustrator and make little vector illustrations/objects as part of the spell.  I've sigiled in Paint Shop Pro before.  Cheesy
/offtopic
Yeah, that was my thought, that it didn't sound all that silly from a cybermagical POV (though I expect you or I - or Zahirah, or probably a fair few others - could pick a lot of holes in it from that POV).

At one point my friend and I had a hobby of snarking books in the Pagan section of bookstores.  That was one of our "favorites".  (I think I might have told you this before - not sure.)
Not that I recall.  It is highly snarkable!  There's something about '70s-mode witchcrap coming out thirty years later that has a kind of perverse charm - perhaps simply because it's a change from cotton candy.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 02, 2007, 01:41:51 am »

Seriously the worst has to be the Malleus Maleficarum the fifteenth century Catholic manual on how to identify and persecute witches.  Hugely popular in its day - it coincided with the invention of printing and a contribution to widespread fear and persecution.

I dunno, I mean I know it did have a lot of crap in it, however for it's day and time it was as factual as you were ever gonna get about that subject. Not excusing it, but I see a difference between they didn't really know much better and crap like today where the information is there if they choose to look.

This is all my own opinion of course.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 02, 2007, 10:06:33 am »

Edain McCoy's Witta, with DJ Conway's Celtic Magic a close second.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 02, 2007, 10:44:40 am »

I'll cast my vote for Barbara Walker's The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets.

You beat me to it.  Gah!

Brina
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 02, 2007, 11:14:22 am »

Edain McCoy's Witta, with DJ Conway's Celtic Magic a close second.

It has been a while since I read Celtic Magic. I don't remember anything about the information it contained, but I do remember my copy fell apart!

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 02, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Aside from the part where I like bad books - well some of them - what is the single worst book you've come across?

I began to read Mysteries of the Dark Moon by Demetra George.

I almost pulled my hair out.

First, she purports the mythic history of the matriarchy goddess worshipping people of the old days were conquered by patriarchical tribes with a bad male god as fact.

She uses psychoanalysis to explain the darker parts of ourselves which drives me batty. I don't like psychobabble in my magic or religion, please. She then says that we must embrace our shadow self (which okay, I can agree with), but she does it in such a way that I felt that she was preaching at me and she kept referring back to the old days of the matriarchy and how the goddess was worshipped then.

Most of her sources are Graves and Barbara Walker. Yes, even for the section on Hekate, which I'm sure my Hellenic friends and Hekate devotees will love. She has a section on Lillith here I'm sure people will cringe at.

Oh and get this, this book was published in 1992.

Yes, you read that right. 1992.

Sigh.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 03, 2007, 10:31:50 pm »

Aside from the part where I like bad books - well some of them - what is the single worst book you've come across?

I think the worst book(s) I've seen were Most of fiona Hornes books.  Now, if you see Pop Goes The Witch, don't be hesitant.  Fiona only edits it.  It's supposed to be really good and have wonderful essays.  Of course, SRW, because she just makes me giggle.  Silly.
Also, the book Witta.
Peice of crap.
I really don't like any of Edain Mccoys stuff.  (At least the ones I've read.)
She seems to like to use things for her advantage, or that's how she seems in her books. (Such as using Gods, fae folk, the like.)

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 04, 2007, 09:30:24 am »

I really don't like any of Edain Mccoys stuff.  (At least the ones I've read.)

I read her book Advanced Magic and it wasn't too bad. I didn't agree with a lot of the stuff, but I did enjoy it because she put forth a lot of viewpoints that I hadn't seen elsewhere. Actually, I did a review of this book a while back: http://danmara.proboards80.com/index.cgi?board=resources&action=display&thread=1162668793

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 04, 2007, 11:56:07 am »

I read her book Advanced Magic and it wasn't too bad. I didn't agree with a lot of the stuff, but I did enjoy it because she put forth a lot of viewpoints that I hadn't seen elsewhere. Actually, I did a review of this book a while back: http://danmara.proboards80.com/index.cgi?board=resources&action=display&thread=1162668793
I haven't read that one, but I read her "Witches Guide To Faerie Folk" and her celtic book she has out, the name is lost to me.  I also read most of Witta, and it was....Completely stupid.
I just don't agree with her views on how to treat the gods and fae folk.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 04, 2007, 04:10:43 pm »

I haven't read that one, but I read her "Witches Guide To Faerie Folk" and her celtic book she has out, the name is lost to me.  I also read most of Witta, and it was....Completely stupid.
I just don't agree with her views on how to treat the gods and fae folk.

I have "Witches Guide to Faery Folk" but I more like "skimmed" it. I don't remember what it was like.

She has a lot of neat ideas; I wouldn't follow her teachings, but I would adapt them to my own.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)