The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 21, 2019, 10:17:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2019, 10:17:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worst book  (Read 21695 times)
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #90: August 16, 2007, 06:11:58 pm »

I completely cannot remember - is she one of those who uses wicca and witchcraft interchangeably?

I believe she does.  On Tyra, she said Witchcraft was a religion, so I'm guessing "Yes."

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SearchingTiger
Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2008, 09:55:39 pm

Religion: Exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #91: August 16, 2007, 08:12:12 pm »

Aside from the part where I like bad books - well some of them - what is the single worst book you've come across?

I know there are alot of really bad books out there (I have looked through a few before and they were laughable) but I honestly think some of the worst are the ones put out by Silver RavenWolf. I know shes be mentioned alot already...but I really really dislike the way she "markets" wicca (well, her own tradition of wicca, but she doesnt actually make it clear to the newbie that its BlackForest Clan Tradition and instead makes it out to be ALL wicca) to teenagers and whatnot. I think she makes too many efforts in the book to try to make young beginners comfortable with it by covering up alot of aspects of the wiccan/witchcraft/pagan world with...well....this is cliche but, pure fluff.

I am not a fluffy bunny basher by any means, I try to be really tolerant of everyone (being that I am one of the ones that could be chastised for my own beliefs in this community!) but golly...dont bring the teens into it like that, please? Its not a safe way to spread witchery and wicca!
aarligbyrd
Apprentice
Last Login:June 08, 2010, 03:40:59 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: September 12, 2007, 10:42:25 pm »

Aside from Horne, Ravenwolf, Conway and others who have already been mentioned, Debora Grey's How to be a Real Witch is pretty bad.  Grey was part of the late 90s popular witches in Australia giving advice in random womens magazines and then published books like "How to turn your ex-boyfriend into a toad".  Then following Horne's success published the above which is full of crap and painful to read.  From memory it included how to choose your magickal name with examples like "Beowulf Moonshine".
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #93: September 13, 2007, 02:26:28 am »

"Beowulf Moonshine".

I think Moonshine would be a great magical name.  Okay, that's just because it makes me think of illicit alcohol distilleries. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #94: September 13, 2007, 05:17:38 pm »

From memory it included how to choose your magickal name with examples like "Beowulf Moonshine".

Is it just me, or can you guys all totally see the gods laughing their asses off at such names being used in ritual? (Right before the smiting.)

joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #95: September 13, 2007, 11:13:41 pm »

Aside from the part where I like bad books - well some of them - what is the single worst book you've come across?

Anything by Konstantinos is trash, but particularly the book where he talks about picking up a (preferably drunk/high/tranced-out) person from a goth club, and under the pretenses of kinky sex, invoking spirits of the dead into them.

By far the weirdest thing about Konstantinos is that he goes on about the vampire thing, but says that blood has no essential magical power - it is just psychological. He says fake blood is just as effective for all magical purposes if you can think of it as real. Sure...

My church choir meets in an occult shop, so I browse the book shelf while waiting for folks to arrive, and we give dramatic readings from them. This one was an all-time favorite, and had people demanding to see the book for themselves to verify I wasn't making it up. Taoist Secrets of Love (which I mentioned earlier) is also very popular. The shop doesn't carry Silver Ravenwolf or DJ Conway.

There is also a ritual at the end of some Ceremonial Magic book (maybe Kraig's Modern Magic) that folks enjoyed so much that just saying "I gird myself in an Egg of Blue" now causes fits of giggles in some people. I can't say the book is all that bad, and perhaps the ritual is pretty standard for Ceremonial Magic, but it lends itself well to parody.

-- Joshua

elizabethlynn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 05:08:59 pm

Religion: panentheistic paganism

It's the same Spirit, isn't it?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #96: November 12, 2007, 05:40:51 pm »

When I first started getting involved in paganism, the first book my (former) friend recommended to me was "The Book of Shadows for the New Generation" by Silver RavenWolf.  I guess if you are a) a teenager and b) looking to explore Wicca, it's not a terrible book.  But I was a) 23 and b) not interested in Wicca.  Parts of the book were a good starting point, I guess, but for the most part I found it relatively useless.  My former friend was "hardcore" Wiccan, but he had done barely any studying and made up a whole bunch of dogma that wasn't even true.  He said that my other friends and I were making a mockery of "his" religion because we didn't worship the same pantheon he did and we drew from other rituals and ideas in our working.  The thing he hated the most about Christianity, a religion he mocks all the time - organization and rules - he was  making our lives miserable with!  He is thankfully no longer a part of our circle, and although I still have the book, I peruse it more as a reminder of how far I've come, rather than seriously.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: November 13, 2007, 08:08:59 am »

I think Moonshine would be a great magical name.  Okay, that's just because it makes me think of illicit alcohol distilleries. Smiley

Hey, I brew, can I use Moonshine as a magical name?  (working on apple brandy)

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #98: November 16, 2007, 11:50:03 am »

believe it or not Ray Buckland's Complete Book  of Witchcraft had the most misinformation  of any book I ever read and that was mostly in the area of history, otherwise it was a fairly good read.

healing, light and peace
White Raven
The Mutt
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 04, 2010, 05:52:12 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #99: February 25, 2010, 11:38:33 am »

Atheism is not a bar to witchcraft, only to religious witchcraft.  Mind, I know nothing about Horne and don't know if what she is trying to teach is supposed to be deity-based or not.

Absent

Fiona Horne is one of my pet peeves. She claims to be an atheist, while at the same time, being a Wiccan. These are mutually exclusive things.

The worst piece of Wiccan propaganda was a pdf that I can no longer find. The author, "Elder Ravenfire" did however upload this book of lessons originally in a blog. Here, now you can all suffer...

http://eldersteaching.blogspot.com/2007/01/lesson-one-what-is-witchcraft-and-what.html

As far as paper goes, I'd have to go with Silver Ravenwolf. Her history is awful, she tries to set herself up as an authority on all kinds of things (for example quantum physics...) and advocates lying to parents "but it's okay, Mama Silver still understands you..."

Grrrr....
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #100: February 25, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »

The worst piece of Wiccan propaganda was a pdf that I can no longer find. The author, "Elder Ravenfire" did however upload this book of lessons originally in a blog. Here, now you can all suffer...

Ow, my eyes.

Why does that name sound familiar?...  ::does a little digging::  Oh!  Right!  He holds our record for Fastest Non-Spam Ban, just over an hour after his first post!  He basically called us all big meanie poo-poo heads for (funny you should mention her) daring to criticize Silver Ravenwolf.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #101: February 25, 2010, 12:28:13 pm »

Ow, my eyes.

Why does that name sound familiar?...  ::does a little digging::  Oh!  Right!  He holds our record for Fastest Non-Spam Ban, just over an hour after his first post!  He basically called us all big meanie poo-poo heads for (funny you should mention her) daring to criticize Silver Ravenwolf.

Yup, thought it was that guy.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #102: February 25, 2010, 12:28:43 pm »

Ow, my eyes.

I'm guessing this record is from Beehive as I can't seem to find any member called 'Elder Ravenfire' on the banned list.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #103: February 25, 2010, 12:32:38 pm »

I'm guessing this record is from Beehive as I can't seem to find any member called 'Elder Ravenfire' on the banned list.

Yep, Beehive. I can't remember which of the two versions, however. And am too lazy to check.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #104: February 25, 2010, 12:45:44 pm »

Yep, Beehive. I can't remember which of the two versions, however. And am too lazy to check.

I think the later version, because I feel like I remember this happening when I first joined TC, and the only move I've experienced was the one to this SMF.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)