The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2020, 02:44:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2020, 02:44:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction Writer's Anonymous  (Read 9272 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: August 02, 2007, 12:34:22 pm »

Hey, do you write fiction?  Need people to talk to about it?  Have questions about technique or issues with characters?  Post here!

Let's all talk about our fiction, be it Pagan or other. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 02, 2007, 03:27:59 pm »

Hey, do you write fiction?  Need people to talk to about it?  Have questions about technique or issues with characters?  Post here!

Let's all talk about our fiction, be it Pagan or other. Smiley

Yes!  Another thread where we can make AA jokes Grin

I'm Melamphoros and I'm a fiction writer ("Hi Melamphoros").  I write mostly gay and Pagan themed horror/fantasy.

To kick things off: How do you get over writer's block?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 02, 2007, 03:39:19 pm »

Hi, Melamphoros! Cheesy

Personally, I try REALLY hard to not have writer's block.  I don't care if it's a good day or a bad day, I'm going to hammer out my daily quota if at all possible.

And I've found that when I read over it later, the good-day pages and the bad-day pages are pretty hard to tell apart.

But mostly, I just keep going.  I have to get REALLY stuck before I let myself take a day off. (or be sick or something, I'm not totally crazy (Ocelot, shut up)).

But mostly?  I just don't allow writer's block.  I'd rather write crap and rip it up than write nothing at all.

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 02, 2007, 03:48:55 pm »

Yes!  Another thread where we can make AA jokes Grin

I'm Melamphoros and I'm a fiction writer ("Hi Melamphoros").  I write mostly gay and Pagan themed horror/fantasy.

I usually don't get writer's block, more like writers hurdle,lol. All i do is take myself out of my comfort zone, try new experiences, new people, new places. And  usually always have a tape recorder with me, whether it is to catch spirits on tape,lol, or to verbally jot down my ideas. I find it helps alot.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 02, 2007, 08:06:38 pm »

I play at writing.  I'm sure you are all familiar with Catriona's Story?

My question is, do any/many/all/none of you start your stories the way they're "supposed" to be started with an outline? Or do you just start writing, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes?

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 02, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »

My question is, do any/many/all/none of you start your stories the way they're "supposed" to be started with an outline? Or do you just start writing, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes?

I tend to do things a little sideways.  I start the story by just plotting it out in my head, playing with scenes, looking at it.  Then I start writing.  THEN I outline it to see where it's going.  Then I completely ignore the outline unless I get stuck. Cheesy

So .. um .. not really. Wink

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 02, 2007, 08:24:21 pm »

I tend to do things a little sideways.  I start the story by just plotting it out in my head, playing with scenes, looking at it.  Then I start writing.  THEN I outline it to see where it's going.  Then I completely ignore the outline unless I get stuck. Cheesy

So .. um .. not really. Wink

I tend to go sideways also...I get the opening lines of the story running thru my head until I get them on paper. Then the writing begins. I've not outlined yet and I don't know if I ever will.

You see, I started with an outline of a story once...the story died.  Cheesy Cheesy

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 02, 2007, 08:27:35 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm Morag, and I write fiction ("Hi, Morag."). As well as poetry and other snippets of stuff.

To answer the question, I almost never do outlines. In fact, I can't remember ever doing an outline. I just started writing one day, and the story of my novel has changed a lot over the years, but now I have  a clear outline--in my head. Every time I try to write it down it messes me up, because I forget stuff. So I let it stay in my head and let it change as the characters see fit to change it.

However...time lines, family trees, maps, etc etc etc -- I HAVE to write those down otherwise I'd never remember the complicated relationships, or how long one must travel between Athering and Nucalif, and how that relates with a marching army, in winter, or when exactly a character was born and how old she is in relation to other characters/the drinking age, and on and on and on.

And the language I've created I've written down as well.

But as for story outlines? No. Never.

But if I'm going to actually sit down and write a short story one of these days I'll have to write an outline and stick to it, or it'll turn into another novel.  Cheesy

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 02, 2007, 09:08:25 pm »

My outlines are all in my head.  One time I tried to do an outline but it was completely abandoned.  The way I write is that I know for sure what all of the major plotlines and plotpoints are in any given story and I just make up some of the things in between as I write.

But there are somethings like genealogies that I do have to write down because otherwise I would forget something.  This is especially true when the main genealogy in my stories stretches back to Tudor England.

My Spiritual Blog
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 02, 2007, 09:50:36 pm »

For me, the only thing's that works is either having some outline of a scene beforehand or even just having an idea of it in my head. If I try sitting at the screen without that...then I'll be 'just sitting' there for hours.

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 02, 2007, 09:58:22 pm »

I usually just start writing....and then I go blank after a few pages/chapters/whateveres and start using outlines.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 02, 2007, 10:15:40 pm »

When I first started writing fiction, it was damn the torpedoes all the way. Far too many stories unfortunately were blown out of the water by a U-Boat shaped Writer's Iceberg.  Undecided

Recently, I've kind of done outlines in my head, at least for my fiction. Like... I know what should happen, just not really sure how. It gives one a place to go when you're having one of those "awww I don't wanna write today, I don't know what to write today..." days. And it also allows one to noodle around and have fun with the characters.

The only time I've ever done a real outline on paper was for a screenplay I'm nearly done with. I must say, I thought the experience would be much more distasteful than it actually was. I sat there for an hour, writing the outline much like a story, and then every day, I could go back to that outline, knock out a couple thousand words, and feel very pleased with myself. Sometimes I completely (and happily) forget the outline and still arrive in the same place, just in another way.  Wink

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 03, 2007, 12:07:32 am »

The only time I've ever done a real outline on paper was for a screenplay I'm nearly done with. I must say, I thought the experience would be much more distasteful than it actually was. I sat there for an hour, writing the outline much like a story, and then every day, I could go back to that outline, knock out a couple thousand words, and feel very pleased with myself. Sometimes I completely (and happily) forget the outline and still arrive in the same place, just in another way.  Wink

Well that's better than how mine turned out--I stopped after a thousand words.  I think it might have been due to a combination of my hated the format and my heart not being into it.  I might revisit it and write it in novel form one of these days, but not anytime soon.  I have too many stories that I would rather write first.

Which leads me to my next question:  How many here have one story so complex that it would stretch across multiple novels?

My original idea was to have a series of novels featuring a vampire.  But then I started writing bits about his ancestry and I thought that might make a good story (he comes from a family of sorcerers).  And then I came up with an ancient vampire that becomes his mentor and thought his backstory should be told in his own series.  Now I have three different series which I would estimate to be about fifteen books total, all three of them somewhat building off one another.  Well not exactly--two just serves as backstory to my original plotline.  Now, I'm going to try to make it so that each series can be read independently of one another, but the last book in the original would also be the 'unofficial' ending to the spin-offs as well.  Now if you excuse me, I need some aspirin.

Yeah, I'm the creator of this and it even makes my head hurt Huh

My Spiritual Blog
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 03, 2007, 02:02:14 am »

Which leads me to my next question:  How many here have one story so complex that it would stretch across multiple novels?

I'm currently halfway through the final rewrite (that's three drafts from the rough copy and two versions from the original story) of book one of a five book set. It's 40,250 words at the halfway mark and I think I'm going to struggle to keep it under 80,000. (It's an intermediate level children's fantasy book, so I’m trying to keep the length manageable if at all possible).

It started out as a single book finished for NaNoWriMo last year and got so complicated so fast that I had to expand it into sequels to avoid rushing the plot and character development too much. I remember telling my mother that rewriting the story as part of a series was ‘effectively signing at least half a decade of my life over to my main character and the world she lives in’. I do have other stories that I would like to work on as well. I plan to be done with the final rewrite and handing it over to my ‘editors’ (read several friends and coworkers with degrees in English Language Arts) to look at by November so I can start something new for NaNoWriMo 2007.

Currently, I don’t plan to do (or even look at) book two for NaNoWriMo this year, I have a story from a completely different world with a single volume plot that I plan to work on instead, just so I can take a break and give volume one of my current story some time to cool off before I tinker with it anymore or advance the story into the second installment.

That will also give me a chance to try for something other than a series. Many of my stories end up ‘not fitting’ in a single book, just by the nature of my storytelling style. Ever since I was little, I always preferred to read books in a series, so I guess it makes sense that I prefer the same when I write.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 03, 2007, 02:14:34 am »

Currently, I don’t plan to do (or even look at) book two for NaNoWriMo this year, I have a story from a completely different world with a single volume plot that I plan to work on instead, just so I can take a break and give volume one of my current story some time to cool off before I tinker with it anymore or advance the story into the second installment.

I never did NaNo, but if I have internet at that time, I'll do it.  I'm planning on using it as a break from the storylines I'm working on now.  For example, if I do it this year, I'll write a completely different story (a parody of a certain novel that I said I'll write).

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)