The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2020, 01:53:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2020, 01:53:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction Writer's Anonymous  (Read 9270 times)
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 03, 2007, 03:59:49 am »

Let's all talk about our fiction, be it Pagan or other. Smiley

I am a writer.
I am a fanfic writer.
I am an adult fanfic writer. Of gay erotica. Of Dragonball Z. And I find this embarrassing.  Tongue However, Vegeta refuses to get his furry tail out of my head. This is currently my major project; my pace is currently 3 chapters (at 1000-2000 words each) every two weeks. This seems to be what I can sustain, simce I have been keeping this schedule since January. I write on the subway and during breaks at work.

There's also the novel I have been working on since 9th grade, which I keep getting halfway through and bogging down. I'm about to change the setting. Again. Then there is the whole fantasy world and language I constructed around this story, of which there is actually more of than the story, at this point.

Also bits and bobs, some concepts and ideas, the occasional bit of poetry or web essay. I generally use brief outlines, more like headings, to remind me of how many chapters and what plot point I put in each one. I also tend to write mostly from beginning to end, as it kind of helps me keep a gauge on the story development; I tried writing out-of-sequence but it didn't work well.

My own issue, where I tend to get bogged down, is exposition. How do I set up all the information so that the reader will understand what's happening and so the big finish doesn't come off looking like I pulled it out of you-know-where. I have this urge to do it as dialogue between characters, but we all know how clunky that can sound. I often end up reworking it during edits. How do you all (especially the fantasy-scifi folks) handle exposition?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 03, 2007, 05:37:36 am »

Which leads me to my next question:  How many here have one story so complex that it would stretch across multiple novels?

I consider my writing to be the recording of a future history, so in my point of view each novel I write is telling a snippet of history, and they all interlock somehow. There is one character whose story stretches out over several novels, because she's sort of immortal. (I say sort of because no one really knows if she is or not. She just hasn't died yet.)

This is why each "section" of books are grouped as "The Tales of [insert place/people name here]". I'm basically assembling the history of this planet.

So....yes and no. You could treat each novel (or group of novels) as a separate story, or you could treat each as a small part of a greater story--the story of the peoples of Zarkon.

Yes, that's the name of my planet. Stop laughing. Wink

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 03, 2007, 07:30:51 am »

Hey, do you write fiction?

<waves> Hi, my name is WarHorse.

(Hi, WarHorse.)

I'm writing what I call a "Spiritual Manifesto." Cheesy

Currently on chapter 33, which is so far 41,3xx characters long (w/o spaces); the entire thing is 838 pages so far (Word 2002, Times New Roman #12 font, double-spaced between paragraphs).  No way I can afford to have it professionally edited, so I'm doing it myself.

Writing this has become a joy, something I look forward to each afternoon.  (One evening a few weeks ago I wrote 6 1/2 pages in one sitting - obviously I didn't have any research to do!)  As my characters develop and interact, where they are going (and the way they go there) is fresh even to me.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 03, 2007, 07:54:00 am »

Hi, Melamphoros! Cheesy

Personally, I try REALLY hard to not have writer's block.  I don't care if it's a good day or a bad day, I'm going to hammer out my daily quota if at all possible.

And I've found that when I read over it later, the good-day pages and the bad-day pages are pretty hard to tell apart.

But mostly, I just keep going.  I have to get REALLY stuck before I let myself take a day off. (or be sick or something, I'm not totally crazy (Ocelot, shut up)).

But mostly?  I just don't allow writer's block.  I'd rather write crap and rip it up than write nothing at all.

Excellent--that gives me a great standard to hold myself to. Thanks.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: August 03, 2007, 08:02:24 am »

Which leads me to my next question:  How many here have one story so complex that it would stretch across multiple novels?

I've got stories that *could* do that, but usually by the time I reach the end of the novel I'm so sick of the world I don't WANT to write any more in it! Cheesy

The biggest thing I've got going is Warriors of the Sun God .. and normally by now I'd be DONE with it, not starting a second year.  And I've done short stories *around* the main story, and expect to be doing more of those.  But not novels.

I get bored with the world and want to build a different one. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 03, 2007, 11:18:40 am »

Urgh....all of my current stories have gotten like that.

One of my earlier ones- my first novel attempt out of school- started about a psychic vampire trying to 'reform'...then I got into her childhood...and now it's like three separate novels spanning her whole damn life. I like the story, I just don't think I'll ever finish it.

And the one I'm working on now is looking to stretch out to more than one book. Hell, I have notes for other stories I haven't even started yet that are already looking to be a series. I seem to have a huge problem with keeping a storyline confined enough to fit in one book (one book that wouldn't take a forklift to carry that is).

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 03, 2007, 12:27:47 pm »

My question is, do any/many/all/none of you start your stories the way they're "supposed" to be started with an outline? Or do you just start writing, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes?

I have a rough mental outline, but not anything written down--though sometimes I'll jot down notes of "beats" I don't want to forget to include. Invariably as I write, new twists and turns emerge, which is always interesting.

Most important of all, I have to know where a story is going--how it ends. Otherwise I can't write it.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 03, 2007, 12:30:53 pm »

To kick things off: How do you get over writer's block?

Write a poem, or a short story, or a journal entry.  Go back and re-read what you have and make notes (perhaps reading it backwards by chapters. Wink)

Other than that - cheap sex and booze.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 03, 2007, 12:36:35 pm »

My question is, do any/many/all/none of you start your stories the way they're "supposed" to be started with an outline?

All of my previous works have not had an outline.  This one has some way-points, the fun being connecting them.  I do however write an outline as I go, and print it out for quick reference (being on ch 33, if I need some info from early in the work I can find which chapter in the outline and then open the Word document, rather than opening all of the earlier documents).

I prefer for my writing to be spontaneous - I was a pretty good flash fiction writer when I was a member of a writing board.  Maybe I should post some of those.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 03, 2007, 12:39:42 pm »

I don't have that much to say!

Right now, my focus is on writing myths (two of them published, shockingly enough--though I won't say where, for fear of the scorn you lot will heap upon me!). These are "original" myths, if there is such a thing; i.e., not the myths of the gods of any ancient pantheon, but rather the myths of the gods I believe in, who at present are known only to me!

I don't know anybody else who does this, so it feels rather lonely at times.

The point being, all the myths I'm writing link up to form one big mythos. But even so, each myth is about short-story length (some, like the one I'm writing now, much longer than others), so I don't envision any multi-volume ongoing saga.

Maybe one short book, with each myth easily digestible on its own but adding to the coherent whole.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 03, 2007, 12:49:20 pm »

Well, as stated, my first in a planned series of four is probably going to be split, so the story now covers five and will not really be "over" at that point.  Will I do more after that?  I have no idea.

I'm thinking a synopsis thread would be fun.  I wouldn't ask anyone to post excerpts from their ms, 'cause I wouldn't post mine. Cheesy  But synopses might be okay.  Okay?  Opinions?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: August 03, 2007, 12:51:27 pm »

I do however write an outline as I go, and print it out for quick reference (being on ch 33, if I need some info from early in the work I can find which chapter in the outline and then open the Word document, rather than opening all of the earlier documents).

now THAT is a good idea.

maybe I'll steal that.  and include a glossary for any extra names or words I come up with. Cheesy

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 03, 2007, 12:52:10 pm »

Most important of all, I have to know where a story is going--how it ends. Otherwise I can't write it.

Fascinating!  The only ms I've managed to "finish" I ad-hocked the ending and it came out really well.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: August 03, 2007, 12:54:12 pm »

I'm thinking a synopsis thread would be fun.  I wouldn't ask anyone to post excerpts from their ms, 'cause I wouldn't post mine. Cheesy  But synopses might be okay.  Okay?  Opinions?

You can always ask. Cheesy

and I don't mind posting synopses of my *started to finished* works.  I just won't post about my only-in-seed-idea works.

which narrows me down to .. um ... six or seven works.  ye gods.  I write a lot. Cheesy

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 03, 2007, 12:55:31 pm »

ye gods.  I write a lot. Cheesy

Yes you do! Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)