The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2022, 12:32:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2022, 12:32:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Discreet Ways to Practice?  (Read 7978 times)
spiritseeker
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 09, 2012, 10:42:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Undefined

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 03, 2007, 11:30:53 pm »

Blessings All,

I live in a very Christian household in the Southern US.  Needless to say, it's rather conservative over here.  I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely.  Thank you all!

Spiritseeker

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

lilacgoddess
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 11, 2007, 11:37:51 am

Religion: Pagan, spiritual seeker

"Follow my lead, not my footsteps."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 04, 2007, 12:13:41 am »

Blessings All,

I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely. 

Spiritseeker

Let me see, one thing that I am thinking of is when you wake up in the morning, walk to a window and greet the day/deity. During your day, light a candle(any candle) and think devotional thoughts. Depending on whom you follow, just a thought or a word may be enough to show your devotion. When you lay down at night, greet the evening and ask for quidance before you dream(or during).

If your looking for something a little deeper, perhaps asking your guides and gaurdians for some excitement during a meditation. Sometimes the smallest things can turn out to be very exciting! Hope this helps a little. Smiley

"Always remember who you are and where you came from, and never shy away."
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 04, 2007, 12:16:05 am »

If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely.  Thank you all!

I like what I do -  very simple meditations, when/as I feel appropriate.

While my housemates arent christian, niether of them even knows if im doing anything, because it simply doesnt affect them. they do know that i do what i do however, and im not trying to hide - but if you feel the need to do something simple its a good place to start.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 04, 2007, 12:52:27 am »

I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely.  Thank you all!

Spiritseeker

There are so many discreet ways of honoring deity.  Exactly how you choose to do so will depend on your deity and your relationship with Him/Her.

F'ex, I'm dedicated to Brighid.   A primary way I honor her is by offering flame -- candles or oil lamps.  Nobody needs to know they're for Brighid, besides me and Her.  I also frequently make small offerings of beer or Irish Mist.  Again, nobody needs to know that.

I have a brief morning cleansing that I do, which is done in the bathroom with a special vessel of water.  I pour the water out on the ground, but nobody has ever noticed me doing that.

I also have specific jewelry that is dedicated to Brighid and that I wear in Her honor.  It's not obvious to anyone but me what the actual meaning is.

Another thing I've found wonderfully useful is to set up a devotional playlist on my iPod.  We discussed this and other ideas in this thread, which you might find useful:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=274.msg3490#msg3490

Just some ideas to get the creative juice flowing.  Trial and error is your friend.  Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Pythiana
Apprentice
Last Login:December 04, 2007, 03:22:01 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Under Construction

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 04, 2007, 02:43:56 am »

Blessings All,

I live in a very Christian household in the Southern US.  Needless to say, it's rather conservative over here.  I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely.  Thank you all!

Spiritseeker

One thing that came to mind for me is tools.  You don't have to have them.  They can help with focusing (especially in the beginning), but are not necessary.  The energy comes from you, after all.  So if you are concerned about having to hide your tools (if you have them, that is), just remember you don't necessarily need them to do your workings.   Smiley

When I first became Pagan, I was still living with my Mom---in Arkansas....trust me, I know EXACTLY what you're having to go through.

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 04, 2007, 03:22:36 am »

Let me see, one thing that I am thinking of is when you wake up in the morning, walk to a window and greet the day/deity. During your day, light a candle(any candle) and think devotional thoughts. Depending on whom you follow, just a thought or a word may be enough to show your devotion. When you lay down at night, greet the evening and ask for quidance before you dream(or during).

If your looking for something a little deeper, perhaps asking your guides and gaurdians for some excitement during a meditation. Sometimes the smallest things can turn out to be very exciting! Hope this helps a little. Smiley

I'd have to say that this is a very good idea. It seems really practical, plus a really good idea for those just starting out (or suddenly have the need to practice discreetly).

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
moonmarquette
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 28, 2007, 01:02:10 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 04, 2007, 09:27:39 am »

I can't set up an altar in my house, so I have everything nicely placed in a beautiful black velvet box and I check on them regularly. Taking each item out and meditating on them. But like the others said.. you don't need tools. But if you want something tangible.. then putting them in a box or in a drawer would work. Then in the morning you could wake up and have a few quiet moments with your items.

"There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off."
- Lord Byron
Seekingwater
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 04, 2007, 10:09:22 am »

I also have specific jewelry that is dedicated to Brighid and that I wear in Her honor.  It's not obvious to anyone but me what the actual meaning is.

Indeed, and can be inexpensive as well (silver pendants $5-20).  Depending on what path you take or are on, Celtic knots, Ankhs, animals, etc that are not obvious.  Charge your talisman, maybe add some simple bead work, and take your beliefs with you wherever you find yourself.  The important things is, what it means to you...to others it's a simple trinket.

Other items that you could use for your practice that would raise no concern: plants (inside and out, that you care for), leaves, a simple crow's feather, crystals, an ornate letter opener.   Heck, a simple candle to you can be more powerful than an altar in the hands of someone who thinks dedication comes from a collection of stuff.

Another thing you can do is hang pictures.  Also you can hang landscapes or of pictures of acceptable deities (that can be justified by your new found interest in Archeology)  Wink 

Keep in mind a couple things.  The traditions have been carried out for thousands of years by those who have often had to 'hide' their beliefs.  And, those who tell you that stuff is necessary to practice are often selling that stuff  Tongue

Ah, found an example for pendants: http://www.ladyhawkstreasures.com/jewelry.htm (look at the "Subtle moon pendant" about center of the page.

Blessings  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:17:26 am by Seekingwater » Logged
lilacgoddess
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 11, 2007, 11:37:51 am

Religion: Pagan, spiritual seeker

"Follow my lead, not my footsteps."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 04, 2007, 12:57:18 pm »

I'd have to say that this is a very good idea. It seems really practical, plus a really good idea for those just starting out (or suddenly have the need to practice discreetly).

It really is practical and as stated here also by Pythiana, tools are not always necessary.*good point*.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:01:06 pm by lilacgoddess » Logged

"Always remember who you are and where you came from, and never shy away."
spiritseeker
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 04, 2007, 01:08:17 pm »

When I first became Pagan, I was still living with my Mom---in Arkansas....trust me, I know EXACTLY what you're having to go through.

How amusing!  I'm in Arkansas for the year, at least.  Next year will finally be college.  Thanks to everyone for their ideas!  They have been very helpful!
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 04, 2007, 05:10:42 pm »

I often use a simple white taper candle for meditations. Both the candle and the base come from the dollar store up the street. A wooden bowl I use to hold water gets returned to the kitchen afterward. Most nights it’s used to hold the rolls at dinner.

You don’t need special items with stars and moons all over them to be able to practice and most activities are very discreet. What do you think might make your family suspicious?

As for wearing occult jewelry, I’ve found that unless you have on a pentagram then most people don’t even know that your wearing a Pagan symbol. Even the Triple Goddess symbol is fairly unnoticeable. To be even more inconspicuous I would suggest wearing a polished stone or cut gem of special meaning.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 04, 2007, 08:34:55 pm »

How amusing!  I'm in Arkansas for the year, at least.  Next year will finally be college.  Thanks to everyone for their ideas!  They have been very helpful!

What is this? Arkansas week?Smiley

(Born and raised!  Cheesy) Still here! LOL

Gina Smiley

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
spiritseeker
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 04, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

You don’t need special items with stars and moons all over them to be able to practice and most activities are very discreet. What do you think might make your family suspicious?

I don't really have any items to use.  I was looking into paganism some time last year, and as with many people, first came upon Wicca and was checking that out, doing a little practice every now and then, and my mom found out.  She was pretty good about it, just concerned for my spiritual welfare, so pretty much anything that could be constituted as pagan would be out.  I'm not allowed to burn candles either, so that's out.  I'm thinking of pretty much a meditation/prayer type thing right now.  Thanks for the jewelry tip!  I'll try to look for something once I figure out who I feel drawn to.
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 04, 2007, 11:28:51 pm »

I don't really have any items to use.

Ok so what about rocks, pebbles, stones, crystals, seashells, beachsand, even a small flower pot with earth in it? I love the beach personally and feel at home there. I have shells, beach glass, sand and even salt water in a tiny bottle.

I know you can't use matches for candles so what about oils? I have a small dish with tiny stones in it and every time I need a breath of fresh air I add a drop or two to the dish. They dont smell too strong but enough that I notice it when Im in my room with the door closed.

Oh and if ypu have a mirror in your room. You can do mirror gazing. It is very relaxing.

Music is a BIG help as well
spiritseeker
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 07, 2007, 08:11:44 am »

Ok so what about rocks, pebbles, stones, crystals, seashells, beachsand, even a small flower pot with earth in it? I love the beach personally and feel at home there. I have shells, beach glass, sand and even salt water in a tiny bottle.

I know you can't use matches for candles so what about oils? I have a small dish with tiny stones in it and every time I need a breath of fresh air I add a drop or two to the dish. They dont smell too strong but enough that I notice it when Im in my room with the door closed.

Oh and if ypu have a mirror in your room. You can do mirror gazing. It is very relaxing.

Music is a BIG help as well

Those are good ideas.  I hadn't thought of using oils yet.  I have my bookcase set up as a kind of altar right now, though with things that aren't overtly Pagan.  I think I'm getting there.  Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.