The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2022, 01:33:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2022, 01:33:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Discreet Ways to Practice?  (Read 7979 times)
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 07, 2007, 08:42:41 am »

Blessings All,

I live in a very Christian household in the Southern US.  Needless to say, it's rather conservative over here.  I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely.  Thank you all!

Spiritseeker

Would a little meditation be seen as astray?  Much of my practice involves me sitting on my bed in meditation, communing with my gods and the universe before I go to bed.  As others have suggested, candles are also occasionally nice, and don't instantly scream "pagan!"

And there's nothing that says you can't pray to the gods on your knees in what seems to be "Christian style," if all else fails.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 07, 2007, 06:58:54 pm »

Blessings All,

I live in a very Christian household in the Southern US.  Needless to say, it's rather conservative over here.  I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely.  Thank you all!

Spiritseeker

Prayers,petitions, candle lighting *for mood of course, nothing else,lol), ummm....meditation? Communing with nature, there are many things that can be seen as just spiritual, not designed or geared specifically to any certain religion. Most of what i find to matter most is what is in my heart, how I think, how i act, having it be my lifestyle, not just something I do on the weekend...it's something I am. I hope that helped.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 09, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

I live in a very Christian household in the Southern US.  Needless to say, it's rather conservative over here.  I'm interested in beginning a small devotional practice, just something to add a spiritual dimension to my day.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to do things like this that aren't obvious, that would be lovely. 

Hello Spiritseeker,

One of the easiest ways is to take an interest in plants and keep one on your windowsill (Earth). A feather or a fan (Air), plant mister or tiny watering can for your plant, (Water) and a small candle or tealight, perhaps in a lantern (Fire). A holed stone for the Goddess and a long stone or crystal for the God. Only those 'in the know' would recognise them.

Cheers, midori

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 10, 2007, 10:24:14 pm »

Hello Spiritseeker,

One of the easiest ways is to take an interest in plants and keep one on your windowsill (Earth). A feather or a fan (Air), plant mister or tiny watering can for your plant, (Water) and a small candle or tealight, perhaps in a lantern (Fire). A holed stone for the Goddess and a long stone or crystal for the God. Only those 'in the know' would recognise them.

Cheers, midori

Unfortunately, that uses a traditional Neo-Wiccan mindset.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, nor that your advice is not useful, it's just that spiritseeker may not be inclined towards Neo-Wicca.  Still, your advice is good, and modifiable if she tends in a different direction.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 10, 2007, 10:41:44 pm »

Blessings All,

Spiritseeker

Well, if you've felt pulled or attracted to a deity, perhaps you could do something around you that is connected to them? For Apollo, this could be writing or for Artemis it could be helping out at a local humane society?

But this would all depend on whether or not you're looking to commune with a specific god or just nature in general. If its just nature in general.. perhaps volunteer for a group in your area that looks after those high way green ways or picks up garbage (I know Winnipeg has this, and almost all schools participate)?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.