The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 09:11:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 09:11:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Practical applications of ritual magick  (Read 5193 times)
nectarguru
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 05:05:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Spiritual

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 04, 2007, 07:18:32 pm »

Hey everybody, new member here.

I've been interested in ritual magick for some time and I'm finally moving towards practicing it myself. Before I do, however, some questions come to mind. Generally speaking, what are some of the practical applications of magick which surround my day to day life? For example, could I do protective ritual on myself to say.....prevent me from being mugged? Also, and most importantly, WHERE DO I START? Other than articles online, could you fine pagans recommend me some books or literature and supplies to get me started? Thanks for the help!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 04, 2007, 08:32:21 pm »

Hey everybody, new member here.

Hi and welcome to the Cauldron!

I've been interested in ritual magick for some time and I'm finally moving towards practicing it myself. Before I do, however, some questions come to mind. Generally speaking, what are some of the practical applications of magick which surround my day to day life? For example, could I do protective ritual on myself to say.....prevent me from being mugged? Also, and most importantly, WHERE DO I START? Other than articles online, could you fine pagans recommend me some books or literature and supplies to get me started? Thanks for the help!

First of all, what do you mean by ritual magick?  I can think of a few things that come to mind, but it would be helpful to know what you're interested in so we can recommend things.  Smiley

And yes, you can do protective rituals and make protective charms.  How you go about it depends on what magical system you use.  I probably don't have to say this, but make sure you take appropriate "mundane" precautionary steps.  In my mind, those are just another kind of magic.

nectarguru
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 04, 2007, 10:01:13 pm »

Hi and welcome to the Cauldron!

First of all, what do you mean by ritual magick?  I can think of a few things that come to mind, but it would be helpful to know what you're interested in so we can recommend things.  Smiley

And yes, you can do protective rituals and make protective charms.  How you go about it depends on what magical system you use.  I probably don't have to say this, but make sure you take appropriate "mundane" precautionary steps.  In my mind, those are just another kind of magic.

Coming from somebody with limited knowledge of specifics, I'm interested in personal spells like I mentioned before plus maybe some elemental work. Hope that makes sense.
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 04, 2007, 11:47:51 pm »

Coming from somebody with limited knowledge of specifics, I'm interested in personal spells like I mentioned before plus maybe some elemental work. Hope that makes sense.

Please, Please, Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee be VERY very very careful when you are working with spells when you do not know exactly what you are doing. Spell work isnt always easy and some may even lead to some devastating results.. Be careful, Take percautions and make sure you fully read & Understand what you are reading..

Blessed Be
nectarguru
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 05, 2007, 12:51:06 am »

Please, Please, Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee be VERY very very careful when you are working with spells when you do not know exactly what you are doing. Spell work isnt always easy and some may even lead to some devastating results.. Be careful, Take percautions and make sure you fully read & Understand what you are reading..

Blessed Be

That is why I want to read up on it and study before I begin. How do you recommend I get started?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:59:01 am by nectarguru » Logged
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: August 05, 2007, 01:08:24 am »

That is why I want to read up on it and study before I begin. How do you recommend I get started?

The first step is to figure out exactly what you want to accomplish.  A spell just to practice doing spells is often weaker simply because there is not a lot of Will involved, just curiosity.  If you know the result you want, clearly and in detail, it is easier to research the best method to use.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
nectarguru
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 05, 2007, 01:27:16 am »

The first step is to figure out exactly what you want to accomplish.  A spell just to practice doing spells is often weaker simply because there is not a lot of Will involved, just curiosity.  If you know the result you want, clearly and in detail, it is easier to research the best method to use.

Absent

Suppose I wanted to use spells for protection, healing, or love, what would you recommend? Are there methods of magick used for connections to the astral or opening the third eye?
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: August 05, 2007, 01:40:59 am »

Suppose I wanted to use spells for protection, healing, or love, what would you recommend? Are there methods of magick used for connections to the astral or opening the third eye?

Spells for protection can mean passive spells, like shielding and wards, or it can mean active spells, like bindings.  It can even mean pre-emptive spells, like cursing.  If you look in the left hand column of the page, under the heading Pagan Features, you will find the Spell Grimoire, which lists at least some examples of the first two, I think.

It is useful, even necessary, to study the theory behind these kinds of spells.  For example, shielding works by preventing harmful elements from affecting you, usually on a magical or emotional level.  People visualize their shields as mirrors, armour, bullet-proof glass, etc.  There are all kinds of books out there to help with this.  I would recommend a keyword search on Amazon , google, or TC's article library.

Binding is usually done symbolically, when you know specifically who you are in danger from.  Binding 'anyone who wishes me ill' is generally far too vague, and not recommended.

Spells for healing and love can be found just about anywhere.  The important thing is to be able to make the connection between the spell and the desired result, to understand the process or theory of how they work.  Again, a keyword search will give you a whole bunch of examples to study and compare.

You will find as you read over spells and rituals that some things will resonate with you, some methods will 'make sense' more than others.  These are the ones to pursue and study further, since effective magic is very personal.

Check out the grimoire.  If you want to write your own spells once you understand the theory, check out the article library.  If you want to see 'cookbook' spells (which a lot of people denigrate but I personally find as useful as self-made ones) check out sites like Puzuzu.

I'm sorry if I'm not answering your intent properly.  I can't give you examples of spells I use personally because they don't translate well out of my personal paradigm.  You really have to study up on various methodologies.  You'll find the terms Will and Intent repeated a lot, but you have to come to a personal understanding of these terms on your own.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #8: August 05, 2007, 01:45:49 am »

Are there methods of magick used for connections to the astral or opening the third eye?

There are, and again searching on those phrases will get you all kind of theory.  I personally avoid the astral (by another name, but roughly the same concept) because of laziness, and I had more trouble closing my third eye (if you mean psychic receptiveness by that term) than opening it, so I can't really help you there.  It's pretty late at night, but someone might come on tomorrow who can be more helpful in that area.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 06, 2007, 06:12:51 pm »

I dont know too much about elemental work, so cant help you there.  I do know more about personal spells.

1.  Know what you want to accomplish.

2.  Think through the repercussions of what you want to accomplish.  This goes along with INTENT.

These are two major "safety considerations".   For instance, let us take a simple prosperity spell.  Well, you might want to limit where it could come from, such as saying in the spell "let no harm come to any" when you phrase it so it doesnt come from, say a relatives death, a car accident, or something of that effect.   That is number 2.  Number 1, is pretty self explanatory.  Do you want that new job so badly, or do you want a job period that is good for you?  You could say, Let the job that is perfect for me that is to be mine, manifest itself, and I get the job, and let no harm come to another. 

3.  Phrase it in a way that has meaning for you, combine it with your beliefs. 

For instance, if you believe in a certain Diety, feel you should or should not call on this particular Diety (some like to call upon their Diety, and some feel it should be energy that comes from them), like candles and incense to help you focus, etc.  Incorporate that in. 

I like to raise energy from other sources.  I dont like using my own, because it exhausts me, for instance.  I always however, am ASKING that it be contributed, I dont demand.
In this way, mine is a prayer/spell combo more accurately most likely.

4.  Focus.  Focus. Focus.  Will is VERY important here. you have to be very clear, very focused, and BELIEVE for it to be accomplished.  No room for doubt here!  I can always tell when a spell works.  I can tell by the feeling it leaves me.  The amount of energy going out, the KNOWING.   

5.  Not necessarily necessary, but for me cleansing and meditation is a good way to begin for spell work, at least when it is a little more major.   It helps me to prepare, and to focus.  I can channel in energy easier this way, and focus better during.   If done this way, I have extra energy to spare for a few days, if I just do it without all of this, I wind up using more of my own energy, and wind up exhausted. 

HTH

Gina Smiley

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
nectarguru
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 10, 2007, 12:39:57 am »

Thanks everybody. You're certainly pointing me in the right direction. Here's an example maybe someone could help me with. I would very much like to come back in contact with a friend of mine who I've been estranged from. I've tried other options, such as trying to talk with her, but it seems like she's apathetic and careless to respond. In the Magickal Mistakes thread somebody posted something similar to this to which the spell worked, but their recontact developed out of a tragedy involving their friend, which is most unfortunate. Using wording such as "Let harm come to no one" helps to avoid these issues? What sorts of equipment is needed to set up a contact spell like this? Is there a specific name for these types of spells I can easly look up? Without actually telling me the spell (because I'd like to create the spell myself) perhaps somebody could give me an example session in which a spell like this is used? Thanks again everyone......
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:42:02 am by nectarguru » Logged
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2021, 03:24:57 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 10, 2007, 04:36:28 pm »

Using wording such as "Let harm come to no one" helps to avoid these issues?
They're not "magic words" that will somehow deflect problems.  You still have to be careful and precise in all your wording and intent.

It's also dependent on the magical paradigm you work in.  Mine, f'ex, considers magic to be driven by the Will and intent of the magician - there's no external monitoring force that will "let" or "not let" certain results happen by request; it's up to the magician hirself to consider all consequences and do what's necessary (up to and including deciding that particular bit of magic just isn't worth the potential problems) to avoid those s/he doesn't want.  Wording of that kind may be helpful in directing intent more precisely, but it won't prevent unwanted consequences all by itself.

If your magical paradigm is one in which magic is essentially a form of petitionary prayer, and the actual "doing" of the thing is by some divine agency (if s/he sees fit to do so), then such phrasing may be effective - but on the other hand, it too will be subject to whether s/he sees fit to do so.  Many deities, when such a phrase is used along with sloppy wording/intent, are as likely as not to decide that the petitioner needs a lesson in consequence and diligence.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #12: August 11, 2007, 03:54:39 am »

They're not "magic words" that will somehow deflect problems.  You still have to be careful and precise in all your wording and intent.

*nods* In Heka, your wording would be essential, since it is based on the fact that you create your world with the words you use. Ptah created the world and the things in it by the very act of naming them, and Heka works through this mechanism.

--Chabas
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 11, 2007, 11:03:15 pm »

*nods* In Heka, your wording would be essential, since it is based on the fact that you create your world with the words you use. Ptah created the world and the things in it by the very act of naming them, and Heka works through this mechanism.

--Chabas

agreed.. use your words wisely and carefully.. dont assume the god/desses know exactly what you want.. you need to tell them..

also.. im proud of you for investigating and asking questions before you just went ahead and did a spell and then... uh oh.. how did that happen?    Grin    ive seen and heard way too many people pick up a spell book that literally had no clue and actually casted a spell and it turned out really bad..

of course practice makes perfect and as you continue in your spells, you will get better and faster as well as stronger.. BUT being prepared is the #1 in my book..
nectarguru
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 12, 2007, 08:11:21 am »

also.. im proud of you for investigating and asking questions before you just went ahead and did a spell and then... uh oh.. how did that happen?    Grin    ive seen and heard way too many people pick up a spell book that literally had no clue and actually casted a spell and it turned out really bad..

of course practice makes perfect and as you continue in your spells, you will get better and faster as well as stronger.. BUT being prepared is the #1 in my book..

Thanks, those are some kind words. I'm considering picking up the book Modern Magick by Don Kraig as the reviews and summary strongly support it. Naturally, I'm still doing a lot of research before diving in. Hey....I've got time. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)