The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:25:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:25:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Nonverbal Magic  (Read 6592 times)
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 12, 2007, 01:06:05 am »

Heya all,

I tend to be quite verbal in magic, with a few gestures and props thrown in occasionally. But having a roommate has kinda put a damper on all that.

I'm thinking of creating spells which are cast in relatively innocuous ways so that it looks like I'm just writing, or sorting through clothes, or smoothing my bedsheets, whatever.

So, does anyone here have experience in this style of magic? Any tips would be welcome!

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 12, 2007, 07:26:08 am »

Heya all,

I tend to be quite verbal in magic, with a few gestures and props thrown in occasionally. But having a roommate has kinda put a damper on all that.

I'm thinking of creating spells which are cast in relatively innocuous ways so that it looks like I'm just writing, or sorting through clothes, or smoothing my bedsheets, whatever.

So, does anyone here have experience in this style of magic? Any tips would be welcome!

Is there any way to blackmail the roommate? :O)

Perhaps you can figure out a schedule where you will know certain times that the roomie will always be gone.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Mama Dragon
Journeyman
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 02:02:36 pm

Religion: Eclectic Cosmologist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 12, 2007, 08:21:14 am »

Heya all,

Years ago one of my friends was in a situation similar to yours  and her solution was to sit down with note book and pen, write out the things she wanted to say and do in her ritual, carefully craft on paper what she could not verbalize or perform in action, focus all the time, energy, and intent in her writing that she would have otherwise  but into setting up for and performing the ritual.

When my friend felt she had completed her work, she would sit and meditate on the work with the idea of focusing her intent, sort of *charging* the papepr with the energies of her magic.

If her room mate was at home, my friend would fold the paper and put it away until she had time when her room mate was not present.The first time she had the place to herself, my friend would burn the sheet(s) of paper in her cauldron, and carefully dispose of the ashes.

My friend always made sure that the smoke alarm was not set off, and made sure that she immediately  aired out the place or used an air freshener so as not to freak her room mate out by the smell of the burning paper.

Fortunately my friend's room mate liked incense and candles  as "mood effects", so it was easier to casually light candles and incense before she began working.

And the incense and candles  helped cover the smell of the burning paper as well.

Also, My friend chose a special pen and consecrated it for the magical work, bought paper that she also consecrated for the magical work, both of which helped her feel she was doing *real* magic, as it were. Being a non-smoker, she also bought a lighter that she consecrated for her magical work only.

I have had consistant success with this  form or magic as well.

Hope this helps you find a solution for your situation.

Good Luck!

That's the news from Peripheral Village. This is the Mayor Signing Off.

It's not wise to annoy a dragon when you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 12, 2007, 09:28:32 am »

NOTE TO WARHORSE: Blackmailing someone with six inches and 15 kg on you is NOT a good idea!  Cheesy

(everything)

Thank you! I'd thought of getting a special pen, but not of special paper or burning it. This resonates somehow; I'm definitely going to give it a try.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 12, 2007, 10:00:18 am »

NOTE TO WARHORSE: Blackmailing someone with six inches and 15 kg on you is NOT a good idea!  Cheesy

It depends where those six inches are.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 12, 2007, 11:02:12 am »

It depends where those six inches are.

Either way spells a world of hurt!

Makamu
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:52:54 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: Henotheistic Christian with polytheistic leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 12, 2007, 03:12:14 pm »

[the whole post]

This idea of your friend's really resonates with me and the way I connect to the world via language and words and might actually prove a nice stepping stone for my first ritual Smiley

Thanks for the idea

Makamu
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 12, 2007, 03:22:36 pm »

A lot depends on what sort of thing you intend to be doing.

My standard painkiller rote, for example, is to clap my hands together vigorously to raise the energy, and then work the energy with my hands as appropriate.  Best when I can touch someone, but I could do it across a room when I was in my teens.  (I'm out of practice.)

When I'm working empathic energetic connections in sex magic, I do it entirely with breath -- breathe out the emotional-physical state until it resides in the aura.  This is useful for other things -- anything that involves the energetic appearance to others, ranging from no-see-me through to stage presence.

I've done cooking spells -- cast each component of the recipe as a particular energetic contribution to the spell, prepare it formally and with deliberation while contemplating that part of the spell, put them together.  When I did this with a stew, the thing was entirely constructed in symbolic representations, some of them researched out of a magical herbal.  I recently recommended a basic bread-baking based charm to a friend of mine with very little experience in magic who was asking advice from pagans on how to cleanse and make safe and homey her new house -- I know she bakes a great deal, and bread is very iconic of a home, so I told her to concentrate on filling the house with the smell and fact of baking bread.

Sigil magic and knot magic might be things you'd find worth looking into, as tools that do not necessarily require speech.

Basically, as a general principle: look at what you want to do with your magic; look at what actions you're taking and see what sorts of effects that they align with well.  If you need to work a spell for purity or cleansing, clean the bathtub.  That sort of thing.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: March 12, 2007, 05:21:34 pm »

Funny you mention *g*
This morning I did a 'programming' (don't like the word really) with a stone.
It was about a certain type of energy I'm needing at the moment and I did it - except of the last sentence, which you could just think - without words.

I feel into the energy and let it flow to me and put it into the stone, sealing all with the intent of the whole Spell.

Should work for different stuff, too. Feeling, flowing, concentrating, intent, seal. Kind of this. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 12, 2007, 05:39:55 pm »

I have to admit that although I don't NEED to keep whatever I do as quiet as I used to have to, I do still tend to go for doing anything that requires actual verbalisation and stuff when the roommate and the s/o are out of the house...

But, that doesn't stop me doing all kinds of other stuff under their noses so to speak - like collecting things together, burning candles, leaving things to 'charge', or run their course, or just leaving things where they are to serve whatever purpose they're serving....

Crud, my altar even sits there in plain sight in the family room and I really couldn't tell you whether they even realise that's what it is - although probably my s/o does. They're just so used to candles burning and things like that that they don't even blink any more - in fact, guess what they buy me for presents? lol
Guess that's why I'm known as candle girl....

I've done cooking spells, with and without them around, and all they notice is the food.....(or at least all they'd admit to noticing is the food :p)
And not being big on verbalisation anyway, I've done a lot of writing spells too....

I feel into the energy and let it flow to me and put it into the stone, sealing all with the intent of the whole Spell.
Should work for different stuff, too. Feeling, flowing, concentrating, intent, seal. Kind of this. Wink

Then again, I've done that too....

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 12, 2007, 08:20:36 pm »

You could also try visualizing your ritual--I mean, literally doing your ritual, with all the bells and whistles and dancing and chanting in your head.  Just lie down, sit down, close your eyes, and do the ritual as you like to in your head in a space you create in your mind.  The cool thing about this is that if your roommate comes in, they'll just think you're asleep or something.  The one drawback to this is that you might really fall asleep!  Tongue

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 12, 2007, 10:09:18 pm »

When I'm working empathic energetic connections in sex magic, I do it entirely with breath -- breathe out the emotional-physical state until it resides in the aura.  This is useful for other things -- anything that involves the energetic appearance to others, ranging from no-see-me through to stage presence.

You've just provided me with something that's very useful...thanks!

Also, I'm a little confuzzled about magic-thru-cooking. Are you supposed to actually eat the thing afterwards?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 13, 2007, 05:23:47 am »

You've just provided me with something that's very useful...thanks!

Also, I'm a little confuzzled about magic-thru-cooking. Are you supposed to actually eat the thing afterwards?

I've seen some Chaos rituals where food is cooked in such and such a way to prepare it, and it is then eaten in order to ingest the power.  I think the real trick is whether or not the food is safe/ nice to eat. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 13, 2007, 03:06:05 pm »

That would be generally how it works, yep.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 13, 2007, 08:26:23 pm »

I've done that with stones and jewelry before.  In fact, that's one spell I remember doing when I had a roommate.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)