The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 19, 2018, 05:14:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2018, 05:14:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: O' Great Golden One (It's Apollo...)  (Read 5277 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 06, 2007, 02:44:54 pm »

***Since no one's replied I'm going to edit this one it made no sense... 

As most people have probably noticed there are several followers of Apollo here on TC, myself included. As one of his biggest fans I'd like to hear what others have to say about their relationship with him, nothing too personal, I know there are somethings you just don't want to share.

I'm talking more about his personality, odd traits of his (though of course Apollo would never do anything odd), or even things you've found he enjoys being offered...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my own personal experience I've seen several sides of him, not all of them pleasant. At first we didn't really get along, I was fighting the relationship and it had some upseting consequences for everyone involved in that spat.

Now that I've finally allowed him in and gotten to know him, he's a completely different (person?). He comes across as cold sometimes, but for the most part he's very laid-back and so patient. He's also smart; which I guess I should've expected, but I didn't understand how deep a thinker he really is till I had my first few relaxed conversations with him.

The only odd thing is he doesn't like my cat or my brother, though he can stand my brother. My cat who was once glued to my side, now rarely even comes in my bedroom. In fact he probably hasn't been begging to be petted for a few weeks now.

I've found he is very fond of tea, the Earl Gray my father had this summer was one of his favorites. And I've also tempted him into some of the Hershey's Cookies and Creme candy bars... Other than that I don't know of anything he's really jumped at, but he doesn't seem to have a "jumping" personality...

AIONIA

ORIGINAL POST
  As you all probably know there are several followers of Apollo here on TC, myself included, so I figured it's about time he got his own thread. He's already getting a cookie, it's the seventh of the month. (The cookie is almond sugar rolled in coconut...)

I'd like to keep the thread UPG, various instances you've experienced, odd quirks of his(though he would never do anything odd), or even favorite myths...

I'll start, he hates my cat. To the point of a giving me a near allergy despises him, poor Barnaby never did anything wrong, spoiled, yes. Pain in the butt, I'll give him that. But nothing that should make him hate Barnaby...

Besides being a cat-hater I adore him, he's pretty much perfect...

Anyone else or just me?

AIONIA
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:21:41 am by AIONIA » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 07, 2007, 11:23:10 am »

***Since no one's replied I'm going to edit this one it made no sense...***

Sorry for last nights terribly confusing posts, I was running low on sleep and brain cells...
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #2: August 07, 2007, 01:40:50 pm »

*** MOD HAT ON ***Aiona,

please don't edit your posts more than a few minutes after posting, especially not this substantively. Even when there are no replies, there are still issues with the read/unread markings. Our rules, which you agreed you had read when you signed up, are quite clear on the matter, and I know this particular rule has been pointed out to you before. Consider yourself warned.

--Chabas
TC staff
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 08, 2007, 07:55:04 am »

***Since no one's replied I'm going to edit this one it made no sense... [/i]

I composed a reply...but then things kinda went pear-shaped here at work, so it got lost in the shuffle. I will be back later tonight and can post more then...

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:March 17, 2018, 09:39:57 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 08, 2007, 09:19:30 am »

***Since no one's replied I'm going to edit this one it made no sense... 

As most people have probably noticed there are several followers of Apollo here on TC, myself included. As one of his biggest fans I'd like to hear what others have to say about their relationship with him, nothing too personal, I know there are somethings you just don't want to share.

I'm talking more about his personality, odd traits of his (though of course Apollo would never do anything odd), or even things you've found he enjoys being offered...

My relationship to Apollo has been somewhat confusing and multi-layered, in the sense that I had a guide for several years who seemed to have a similar personality.  I was also trying to write a novel where one character became progressively more Apollonian.  It was only after the guide disappeared on me and I gave up on writing the book that I started to directly relate to Apollo as a deity who was important to me - the defining moments were visiting one of his temples in Greece and feeling a very strong connection to him whist there, then getting a strong sense of him suddenly whilst meditating after I returned.  From that point onwards I started praying to him regularly and made an altar to him.  A while after that, I had my realisation about the influence on my writing which was going back several years before these events.  More recently I have  seen another 'being' in meditation who was somewhat Apollo-esque too but possibly a more local deity - I'm unsure who it is.  So I haven't always felt absolute certainty that who I was communicating with was actually Apollo.  I hope that makes sense.

When I have felt it was definitely him, though, My sense of his personality is of a calm and calming presence, sometimes (and initially) very cool and distanced but sometimes showing more warmth.  Recently he has been more distant if anything but he is not gone from my life.

I haven't had much in the way of UPG regarding offerings save that freshly squeezed orange juice and apple juice seem to go down well, some other juices less so.  I tried offering tea once since I drink a lot and did not get the impression it was wanted again!  So my UPG is quite different from yours about that.

I don't honestly get the impression that the food/drink offerings are important to him, though, other than that it means I'm focusing on him.  What he seems to want of me is that I am regularly creative, (particularly with painting and drawing, something I'd given up doing years before) and that I focus on my inner light (the way it was more or less described for me) instead of my failings.
fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 09, 2007, 10:11:05 pm »

I composed a reply...but then things kinda went pear-shaped here at work, so it got lost in the shuffle. I will be back later tonight and can post more then...

Apollo. He is...a constant. He's just there. Sometimes infinitely calming and patient. Occasionally harsh and abrasive. Frequently impatient and exasperated (I'm difficult, what can I say?). His touch is a cool burn. He is radiant, beautiful, terrible. He is truth, he is reason.

He Is Perfect.

I've recently realized that in the last few years, my thought patterns have changed. There was a time where I considered myself to be extremely illogical, and was okay with that- I was afraid of becoming overly logical at the expense of emotion. I've realized that while I have become extremely logical, I've not sacrificed my emotional nature for it. I'm actually very good at debate and argument. And it's come about in a way that I've barely even noticed.

This has all come about since Apollo first really showed up and became an influence in my life. It's a little crazy to think about, how strong his influence has been. Of all the gods, while Apollo's mythology was always very interesting to me, -as was that of Artemis, the idea of binary opposition fascinates me- I don't think I ever would have consciously picked Him. If someone pointed me at the gods and commanded me to pick, I would have been outside the Greek pantheon altogether, probably looking more towards the native Italic deities. But Artemis was there first, and then Apollo showed up, and soon after, Artemis faded off and seems to be long gone, and Apollo has made it clear that he's not going anywhere. He picked me and I don't think anything else at this point would make sense.

Here's a link to a series of dreams that I've had involving Apollo... http://fuego.livejournal.com/tag/temple+dream (the oldest atthe bottom, most recent at the top, they are a progression.)

AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 10, 2007, 12:02:01 am »

Apollo. He is...a constant. He's just there. Sometimes infinitely calming and patient. Occasionally harsh and abrasive. Frequently impatient and exasperated (I'm difficult, what can I say?). His touch is a cool burn. He is radiant, beautiful, terrible. He is truth, he is reason.

That's my boy. Don't feel bed he get's upset with me too, I don't listen sometimes for days at a time then the light bulb goes off and Apollo's there going, "What the Hell!" Or the silent frown and shake...

And I know the burn you speak of, very well. That sweet tingling feeling on your skin, how everything seems warmer and, if he's in a good mood, wonderful.

He Is Perfect.

You have no idea how much you sound like me. Do the doves fly and angels sing when he's around you too?
-----------------------------
As for changing me we'll have to see, I only let him in a few months ago so he's still working out the kinks.
fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 15, 2007, 07:12:03 am »

That's my boy. Don't feel bed he get's upset with me too, I don't listen sometimes for days at a time then the light bulb goes off and Apollo's there going, "What the Hell!" Or the silent frown and shake...

You get days? I'm lucky if I get fifteen minutes. Then I get a lot of "You will....(whatever I'm not going along with)" I actually ended up with a minor panic attack once.

You have no idea how much you sound like me. Do the doves fly and angels sing when he's around you too?

Doves and angels? Nope. It's just Him.

AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 15, 2007, 06:24:08 pm »

Doves and angels? Nope. It's just Him.

I was making a comment on my awe for him. I have it bad for him...

With everything going on right now I have to pay attention to this world, between driving into the city every morning, working, the horses, and getting college in order. When I'm working with the horses I can't be two places at once, because that could get me hurt. I've already messed up my back and neck coming off my horse, and I'm not anxious to try and paralyze myself. 

I usually do talk to him while driving, there's something about being in a vehicle that jumpstarts my sense. I've also been able to get my best traveling experiences, ironically while traveling. Maybe it gets the vibrations going more strongly.
Lorraine
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 15, 2007, 07:11:58 pm »

Do the doves fly and angels sing when he's around you too?

It sounds like you didn't mean this literally from your most recent answer, but I do hear music sometimes when I'm focusing upon Apollo.  However I used to hear music on occasion whilst meditating in the past - not familiar tunes coming into my head, rather they were something unfamiliar, as if there were musicians playing out of sight in my visualisation.  Because of that I'm doubtful that this is associated with Apollo for me, unless it was his way of telling me something before I knew who it was!   Cheesy
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 15, 2007, 10:06:15 pm »

It sounds like you didn't mean this literally from your most recent answer, but I do hear music sometimes when I'm focusing upon Apollo.  However I used to hear music on occasion whilst meditating in the past - not familiar tunes coming into my head, rather they were something unfamiliar, as if there were musicians playing out of sight in my visualisation.  Because of that I'm doubtful that this is associated with Apollo for me, unless it was his way of telling me something before I knew who it was!   Cheesy

I have a funny music story about him too.

I always told him one day I wanted to hear him play, not through somebody else or any of those forms, hear HIM. Well one night I was laying in my bed and all the sudden I started hearing music. It was 1:30 - 2:00 am, and the only music you ever hear in my neighborhood is Tejano and Heavy-metal; but this was a weird classical kind of music no words or anything, and it came from the direction of my altar. I was freaked out, it kept playing for three to five minutes.

AIONIA
Lorraine
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 16, 2007, 05:54:48 pm »

Well one night I was laying in my bed and all the sudden I started hearing music. It was 1:30 - 2:00 am, and the only music you ever hear in my neighborhood is Tejano and Heavy-metal; but this was a weird classical kind of music no words or anything, and it came from the direction of my altar. I was freaked out, it kept playing for three to five minutes.

Interesting!  I have had  nothing external: when I 'hear' music during meditation/visualisation it's always playing in my mind. 
fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 16, 2007, 09:08:12 pm »

I was making a comment on my awe for him. I have it bad for him...

Ah, gotcha. (Take a look at the time stamp on my reply....I'm about a semitone flat on the high notes at that time in the morning...)

For me, Apollo's presence brings with it an eerie silent calm...kinda like being in the eye of a hurricane. It is nearly paralyzing- though, not in a scary/bad way, i can't really think of a good way to explain....

AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 16, 2007, 10:03:43 pm »

For me, Apollo's presence brings with it an eerie silent calm...kinda like being in the eye of a hurricane. It is nearly paralyzing- though, not in a scary/bad way, i can't really think of a good way to explain....

That time really wasn't his presence just, something freaky. Usually when he's around things seem to slow down, and the day to day things don't matter...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)