The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 03:09:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 03:09:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Key Magic  (Read 11543 times)
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 07, 2007, 09:52:34 am »

Hey, folks,
I have a thought that's been niggling away in the back of my mind and wanted to get some more input.  I have the book The Magical Household: Spells and Rituals for the Home by Scott Cunningham & David Harrington.  It is essentially a collection of various folk practices collected from all over the world.  These practices are presented in categorical style where each chapter is a seperate area of the house, i.e. House Lore, Thresholds, Kitchens, hearth, etc... 

While the various practices are intriguing and provide enough information to allow the creative practioner to come up with their own uses I found one idea particularly intriguing.  This involved the use of keys.  Regular doorlock type keys, not Solomons seals used in high/ceremonial magic.  The idea is to use a seperate key for each door in the house and by charging the key and touching it to the doorknob, each key and door in turn, you seal the house against whatever you want to keep out.  The whole keyring is then hung near the front door.  It should be noted that it is not necessary to have each key fitted to the lock in the knob.

The use of keys in magic fascinates me but I haven't found much else to whet my appetite.  What I wanted to ask my fellow Cauldronites is what other uses have you come across or created for keys in magic?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 07, 2007, 11:05:25 am »

The use of keys in magic fascinates me but I haven't found much else to whet my appetite.  What I wanted to ask my fellow Cauldronites is what other uses have you come across or created for keys in magic?

I want that book... not that I have anything to add since all I have right now is a nagging memory that won't surface, but thanks Oaksworn, you did give me something to ponder since it's probably time to rezap some of the wards round here, especially since cops seem to be a permanent fixture around this rabbit warren lately, in numbers. I so want to move....

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 07, 2007, 03:58:52 pm »

I dont know exactly, as I havent studied it too much, but keys are used to lock and unlock things,  so think along those lines.  Also, here while back during a meditation, I was given a golden key (along with golden armor and a sword)  and I think it was so I could unlock something in the person being healed, as she was coming across as a fortress in the meditation.  Have you actually had anything come to you, or just wondering what you could use them for?  And now, thanks to this conversation, I think I just figured out what it was that I was to unlock.... Thanks!  Smiley  Because I think I did unlock it  Roll Eyes heh  :embarrassed:

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 07, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »

Well, I can't speak about magic, since I'm magic-impaired: skeptical about it and not a user myself. However, two or three times I've stumbled onto a random key strewn on the ground somewhere--a dusty old key with no discernable use--and every time I've felt compelled to pick it up and take it home.

It's surely just an overactive imagination, but whenever I find one, my mind starts racing through all the fanciful possibilities of what that key might open...when really what's being opened up is my mind, I guess. Anyway, like a dusty magic lamp in an Arabian tale, it seems like too much of a gift to ignore.

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 07, 2007, 06:56:11 pm »

Hey, folks,
I have a thought that's been niggling away in the back of my mind and wanted to get some more input.  I have the book The Magical Household: Spells and Rituals for the Home by Scott Cunningham & David Harrington.  It is essentially a collection of various folk practices collected from all over the world.  These practices are presented in categorical style where each chapter is a seperate area of the house, i.e. House Lore, Thresholds, Kitchens, hearth, etc... 

I have raved and just raved today on that book,lol! Outside of things I read in there, I had alot of old skeleton keys, one that was charged unintentionally I believe by my grandmother. I can feel her energy in it and I use it as a guide of sorts. It is hard to explain but sometimes it will grow warm in my palm and whatever I am feeling intuitively, I go with it. On occasion when I was in a negetive istuation/place/etc it has given me quite a shock. Outside of that, I don't have much else to share,lol.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 07, 2007, 10:44:24 pm »

I want that book... not that I have anything to add since all I have right now is a nagging memory that won't surface

Oh, I'm sure the thought will surface at some point.  If you need me to look something up in there for you to help that thought out just let me know.

Quote from: Purplewitch
but thanks Oaksworn, you did give me something to ponder since it's probably time to rezap some of the wards round here

Glad to be of service Wink

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 07, 2007, 10:50:13 pm »

I dont know exactly, as I havent studied it too much, but keys are used to lock and unlock things,  so think along those lines. 

Well, that's the start of it but it just seems to me that keys have a whole symbology unto themselves and locking/unlocking is only part of it.  There's also an implication of access as well as knowledge.  A state akin to a threshold attained upon realization and understanding.  Then there's the fact that they can be so innocuous and ubiquitous that they make the perfect charm.

Or maybe it's just that I like antique keys...  ::shrug::

Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 07, 2007, 10:54:18 pm »

However, two or three times I've stumbled onto a random key strewn on the ground somewhere--a dusty old key with no discernable use--and every time I've felt compelled to pick it up and take it home.

I once found a luggage style key tied to a weed with orange yarn along side a foot path.  Was quite unexpected.  Something like that is definitely a message for me.

Quote from: Altair
It's surely just an overactive imagination, but whenever I find one, my mind starts racing through all the fanciful possibilities of what that key might open...when really what's being opened up is my mind, I guess. Anyway, like a dusty magic lamp in an Arabian tale, it seems like too much of a gift to ignore.

I completely agree.  The most subtle and powerful of magics is learning to see with new eyes.  Imagination is the doorway to that sight.

Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 07, 2007, 10:59:36 pm »

I have raved and just raved today on that book,lol!

It's definitely a fun read.  All sorts of seeds in there for new practices and ideas to build upon.

Quote from: Chaliceocean
Outside of things I read in there, I had alot of old skeleton keys, one that was charged unintentionally I believe by my grandmother. I can feel her energy in it and I use it as a guide of sorts. It is hard to explain but sometimes it will grow warm in my palm and whatever I am feeling intuitively, I go with it. On occasion when I was in a negetive istuation/place/etc it has given me quite a shock. Outside of that, I don't have much else to share,lol.

That's quite a unique usage that I hadn't considered.  I won't presume to analyze the mechanism at work here but it is certainly something to keep in mind.  Thank you for sharing it.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 08, 2007, 12:14:20 am »

I completely agree.  The most subtle and powerful of magics is learning to see with new eyes.  Imagination is the doorway to that sight.
Oh, yes, that's it!  I wanted to reply to Altair to point out that there was strong magic in what he was saying (and never mind his skepticism), but I couldn't think how to explain what I meant (and explaining is courteous when saying something of that sort to a skeptic, else one comes across as not respecting the skepticism).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 08, 2007, 12:28:05 am »

My ex-hubby improvised a pretty kickass spell involving a key once, though unfortunately I'm hazy on details - it was, let's see, over four years ago.  IIRC, it had to do with The Cat's Ex-Aunt having trouble and waffling around, making a decision about something, and ex-hubby used the key symbolism (and an actual key, one of those "WTF is this for?" strays that always seem to be around, to charge with the spell - in fact, I seem to recall that it being a handy object was what inspired the symbolism used) to represent her unlocking both the stuff stuck in her brain relevant to the decision that she didn't know she knew, and her indecision itself.

For me, there's a lot of connections between keys and "liminalist" stuff - opening ways, guarding gates, all that sort of thing.  I'm toying with the idea of getting one to wear as a magicoreligious this-is-what-I-am symbol, but I'm still working out the articulations of what it means (for me, being able to put something in words is an important test of whether I understand it).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 08, 2007, 02:54:42 am »

When my little sister wants to access a different level of perception she very often uses a key to 'unlock' access to that. It seems to work very well for her.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 08, 2007, 10:06:23 am »

Oh, yes, that's it!  I wanted to reply to Altair to point out that there was strong magic in what he was saying (and never mind his skepticism), but I couldn't think how to explain what I meant (and explaining is courteous when saying something of that sort to a skeptic, else one comes across as not respecting the skepticism).

Sunflower

No lack of respect inferred.

The kind of magic I find easiest to accept is the kind that involves an alteration in the thinking/perceptions of the practitioner. (I'm a firm believer that our thoughts are an equal partner with time and space in determining the shape of reality, which the latest developments in quantum physics seem to hint at...though I should add that my understanding of that field is extremely limited.) My experiences with keys may fit that category.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 08, 2007, 07:53:36 pm »

I like keys quite a bit (for similar reasons to what Sunflower mentioned.)  I haven't used them in magic really, but I do have a bunch of them on Hekate's shrine.  (And one of them I keep under my pillow for dreamwork sometimes, so I guess that's a magical use.)

Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 08, 2007, 08:01:08 pm »

/snip/ to represent her unlocking both the stuff stuck in her brain relevant to the decision that she didn't know she knew, and her indecision itself.

Hmm...I wonder if I can use something akin to this to deal with what I've got going on now...

Quote from: SunflowerP
For me, there's a lot of connections between keys and "liminalist" stuff - opening ways, guarding gates, all that sort of thing.

I'm seeing it kinda that way too but with a 'between' aspect to it as well.  'Between' the worlds as it were.

Quote from: SunflowerP
I'm toying with the idea of getting one to wear as a magicoreligious this-is-what-I-am symbol, but I'm still working out the articulations of what it means (for me, being able to put something in words is an important test of whether I understand it).

I'll admit that there is that facet of this for me as well.  One of Epona's associations is a key.  I've read in several sources that it's been interpreted as Her access to the Otherworld/Summerlands.  Another source suggested dreams.  I prefer the Otherworld interpretation and so far She hasn't disagreed with it.  The symbology of it is much easier for me to work with than the stereotypical horse.  It's also a rather innocuous charm so I doubt many people will even notice it beyond just, "Oh, that's neat."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)