The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 04:26:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 04:26:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Key Magic  (Read 11544 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 08, 2007, 08:04:37 pm »

It's surely just an overactive imagination, but whenever I find one, my mind starts racing through all the fanciful possibilities of what that key might open...when really what's being opened up is my mind, I guess.

Still makes me think of The Secret Garden every time I read your post.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 08, 2007, 08:09:48 pm »

When my little sister wants to access a different level of perception she very often uses a key to 'unlock' access to that. It seems to work very well for her.

That ties in quite well with my UPG of: A state akin to a threshold attained upon realization and understanding. that I was mentioning up-thread in response to Gina's statements.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 08, 2007, 08:12:12 pm »

(And one of them I keep under my pillow for dreamwork sometimes, so I guess that's a magical use.)

Well, I am unfamiliar with Hekates demesne and realms of influence but I can say dreamwork was mentioned in association with Epona's key, so sure, why would it be restricted to one goddess?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: August 08, 2007, 10:57:27 pm »

Hmm...I wonder if I can use something akin to this to deal with what I've got going on now...

Perhaps this symbology of the key is what is needed for you to figure out how to unlock the way for you to make your aura smaller so you don't get "bleed over" from everybody else?

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 09, 2007, 01:02:06 am »

Perhaps this symbology of the key is what is needed for you to figure out how to unlock the way for you to make your aura smaller so you don't get "bleed over" from everybody else?

That situation is tied in but I'm actually looking at more of a root cause of that problem where the 'Auric Warning System' is a symptom of a deeper issue.  I'm wondering if I can use this key symbology to 'unlock' the root of this issue so I can begin working with it more productively.

Ok, why am I hearing Robin Williams cry, "Ok, release the subconscious!"?

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 09, 2007, 03:49:47 pm »

That's quite a unique usage that I hadn't considered.  I won't presume to analyze the mechanism at work here but it is certainly something to keep in mind.  Thank you for sharing it.

Either had I but it has served me well. I'd say the only thing at work would be my grandmother,lol, outside of that i haven't bothered to analyze it either. Glad I could help.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 09, 2007, 08:21:12 pm »

I'm seeing it kinda that way too but with a 'between' aspect to it as well.  'Between' the worlds as it were.
Yupyup, that too.  I probably should have specified it as well - it's so internalized for me that I didn't think to, but that sort of thing is exactly what I should be specifying, so those (especially among the "rational mystics") who haven't yet internalized it as much can better do so.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 09, 2007, 08:48:09 pm »

Yupyup, that too.

Is it just me or does anyone else get that this 'between the worlds' aspect of liminality has a structure that could almost be thought of as a 'world' unto itself?  A world of slipping sideways while in the threshold and finding that space within the walls that separate the worlds?  Essentially a place from which any world can be accessed provided you have the key to do so. 

Maybe it's just my mind putting a form to a concept that I haven't quite grasped yet.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 09, 2007, 08:56:28 pm »

Is it just me or does anyone else get that this 'between the worlds' aspect of liminality has a structure that could almost be thought of as a 'world' unto itself?  A world of slipping sideways while in the threshold and finding that space within the walls that separate the worlds?  Essentially a place from which any world can be accessed provided you have the key to do so. 

Maybe it's just my mind putting a form to a concept that I haven't quite grasped yet.

Why was the first thought I had "The Magician's Nephew" and the world between worlds - ok, second thought, the first was about airports.

(I apologise, I am definitely off centre today, to put it mildly.)

Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 09, 2007, 10:43:32 pm »

Why was the first thought I had "The Magician's Nephew" and the world between worlds - ok, second thought, the first was about airports.

It's been a very long time since I've read that book so I can't help you there.  The airport idea is easy enough to explain though: You're in a place where you have multiple thresholds (terminals) that will allow you to access any number of different worlds (cities).

See you're not that far off centre.... or maybe I'm just skewed that way too...  Wink

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 09, 2007, 10:49:14 pm »

It's been a very long time since I've read that book so I can't help you there.  The airport idea is easy enough to explain though: You're in a place where you have multiple thresholds (terminals) that will allow you to access any number of different worlds (cities).

See you're not that far off centre.... or maybe I'm just skewed that way too...  Wink

If you're skewed the same way I am, be scared Wink

Airports came to mind because Garnet (I think) brought them to mind and I posted about them in my LJ earlier today on a similar vein. I'd be scared to work out just how many weeks I spent in airports when I was younger.

The Magician's Nephew had the world/wood between worlds (whatever they actually called it) with pools that allowed access to different worlds, although some had dried up, etc. If I remember right... (and a few guinea pigs (?) wandering around it from the Uncle's experiements lol)

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 09, 2007, 10:57:48 pm »

I posted about them in my LJ earlier today on a similar vein.
Or alternatively, I thought I did, but didn't, and have now. Anyway, purely for reference...with a couple of edits so it makes some kind of sense.

"Something just reminded me of something that definitely ties into the whole 'in between' places theme of late. Airports. Not surprising I didn't remember sooner since it's now years since I last set foot in an airport - but, for the previous 35 years I spent a lot of time in airports. And I mean a lot.

It was the fastest, easiest, and often the only, way between the two islands I lived on. And since for some years I was at school on one while living on another, yeah, I spent a helluva lot of time in airports.

Days sometimes thanks to fog. And I've always liked them, as places. As places that are 'in between', that are neither part of where you are, nor part of wherever you are going. Oddly enough I find them safe, a place where I can be, without being anywhere that anyone can find me. A facet I've made use of a time or two.

In short, for me, airports as an archetype are naturally 'in between' places, a world of their own."

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: August 09, 2007, 11:51:56 pm »

Yes, that's what (in my understanding/experience) the Between the Worlds of a cast circle is - consider some of the relevant liturgy:  "a place that is not a place, a time that is not a time"... "We stand outside time, in a place not of earth"... ", etc.  This isn't just pretty religious poetry, it's descriptive.

I've never really experienced anything I'd describe as "slipping sideways"; I'm also doubtful about the usefulness of the model of walls separating the worlds and of spaces between them - the latter sounds rather cramped, and for the former I find the "veil" imagery more useful, as it doesn't carry an inherent implication of "solid and impassable".

While my doubts about this are rooted in having a good bit of hands-on experience with this sort of thing, it is a matter of models, giving us a frame by which to comprehend something we're otherwise not equipped to fully perceive and comprehend, rather than a matter of concrete fact - the maps we use are very definitely not the territory!  I know that my model works, not just for me but, fairly consistently, for others; I believe that your model would be more hindrance than help for me - but it might be exactly what's most effective for you.

This convo is veering more and more in a "'Kin SIG" direction; do we want to start a thread there about the connection between keys and liminality, and/or about various possible Otherworlds-related models, and let this thread focus more on the thaumaturgical/World of Form aspects of key magic?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 10, 2007, 09:04:09 am »

This convo is veering more and more in a "'Kin SIG" direction; do we want to start a thread there about the connection between keys and liminality, and/or about various possible Otherworlds-related models, and let this thread focus more on the thaumaturgical/World of Form aspects of key magic?

Sunflower

It might be a good idea, as I started to respond with something that would be far more at home in the kin sig!

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 10, 2007, 06:30:09 pm »

This convo is veering more and more in a "'Kin SIG" direction; do we want to start a thread there about the connection between keys and liminality, and/or about various possible Otherworlds-related models

Cool, I see the thread was started (thanks, Gina) so I'll continue the liminal convo over there.

Quote from: SunflowerP
let this thread focus more on the thaumaturgical/World of Form aspects of key magic?

Hey, I was just reminded of another type of key today.  One my co-workers had her keys on the table and on the ring was strung a standard house key type that looked as if it had been enameled with red and yellow flames over the entire surface.  It reminded me of having seen similar items at Home Depot where they make keys for you.  I had the thought that you could use the enameled design to reinforce whatever you were using the key as a charm for...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)