The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2020, 01:55:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2020, 01:55:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Asking permission?  (Read 7854 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: August 09, 2007, 06:59:43 pm »

::shudders:: both of those things are horrible; but if either one of them was underage they would have been taken no matter *what* was (or wasn't) wrong with them, and no matter what they said. They'll take a 17 year old with nothing wrong with them but with freaked out parents, who doesn't want to go, and they'll try their darndest to forcibly make them go. But they won't take a person with *obvious* brain damage who's family wants him to go, and he doesn't. How twisted is that??

It is pretty twisted.  I personally think that the family should sue because they didnt take him!

I am not big on suing either btw, but it might make a difference on the "do nothing" attitude if some people sued because they werent being proactive.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #31: August 10, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

It is pretty twisted.  I personally think that the family should sue because they didnt take him!

I am not big on suing either btw, but it might make a difference on the "do nothing" attitude if some people sued because they werent being proactive.

Gina

I actually agree with you there.

spiritstouch
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 10:13:22 am

Religion: a pagan of sorts...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: August 12, 2007, 04:18:25 pm »

What do you think about the need to ask a person’s permission for doing a healing? Would it work without the person’s permission? Is it just wrong on the bases of taking away that person’s freewill?

Very sorry to hear about your mother.

In the past, I worried about sending energy/healing without permission.  Now I just mention that I will keep the person in my prayers, or for those with no religion, I mention that I will send energy.  I have always been thanked, no one has ever said, please don't.

For those who I can't speak with, I just send the energy.  I trust the energy and the person to accept or reject.    Hope this helps.
lionessoftorment
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 26, 2007, 04:48:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan/Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: August 12, 2007, 08:05:05 pm »

What do you think about the need to ask a person’s permission for doing a healing? Would it work without the person’s permission? Is it just wrong on the bases of taking away that person’s freewill? Permissible depending on the situation and relationship?

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. 

I, personally, ask.  It just seems to make me feel better and to focus my intent because I'm not thinking "do they even /want/ me to do this?" So, I'm agreeing with a lot of the previous comments, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem to ask her...so why not? Smiley
Arrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 26, 2009, 07:38:44 pm

Religion: eclectic shamanic animism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: August 14, 2007, 01:22:17 am »

What do you think about the need to ask a person’s permission for doing a healing?

I'm one of the "free-will" advocates. (It may be the only thing I have ever agreed with the New-agers about.) It's partly a reflection of my Libertarian philosophy, but mostly it's an application of the "Golden Rule," since I wouldn't want anyone mucking about with my chi without my permission, however good their intentions.

I think the question of prayer has been pretty well covered, so I'm leaving it out.

For more "invasive" energy healing, I generally follow the same rules that I would be bound by if I were responding to an ambulance call. If the person is competent to give consent, I need their consent. If they are unable to give informed consent (ex: in a coma) then I assume "implied consent" in most cases.

If you believe your mother would be upset by the question, my suggestion would be to build a big bundle of healing energy, ground one end, and throw it like a rope, with the intent that her body/spirit can "grab" it if they choose to.

Another approach to consider with regard to asking for consent:

If the healing you plan involves more direct action than prayer, think outside your religious paradigm in defining what you want to do. There are many forms of energy healing that are entering the main stream. Therapeutic touch is taught to nurses for continuing education credits. Traditional Chinese medicine is covered by many insurance policies. Consider borrowing terminology that is acceptable to your mother to describe what you want to do. Put it in terms she will understand--words that she will hear the way you mean them. If you do it right, this is no different than translating the explanation for a non-English speaker.

Hope this is helpful.

Arrow

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"I am made of the dust of the stars and the ocean flows in my veins"   (Neil Peart 1989)
Pogue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2007, 05:33:22 pm

Religion: exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: August 14, 2007, 02:30:06 am »

Now, mind you, he was clearly NOT acting normally.  So they called an ambulance. The ambulance came, but when he told them he didnt want to bother, they wouldnt take him in, although he was bleeding quite a bit from his head.  They said since he refused, their hands were tied.   (to tell you how bad it was, one of the neighbors had to take a garden hose, and spray down the outside wall for several minutes to get all the dried blood off from where he had hit it the next day! I know, because I watched him)   

We pointed out that she was obviously not in her right mind, and so they grudgingly took her in, because one of them had seen one case of insulin shock where a person behaved that way! 

Gina,
First off I am sorry that you had to see that. I do however, need to explain something about being a medic and the laws that govern then. I know that they vary from state to state so this is just a broad over view. A minor is not according to the law able to make the desision to go or not go to hospital. The law dose not care if in 2 hours the kid is going to be 18, they still have to take them. An adult under the law is assumed, unless there is a cout or medical order, to be in full awarness of what desisions they are making. Now if the adult is unconscous (I suffer from CSS) they have to take them under the assumption that any person in their right mind would want to live.

Now, one reason they cannot take a person who refuses to go even if there is cause to is that the medic does not practice under their own license. They practice under a doctors. The doc cannot treat unless given permission so the medics cannot either. If the medics take someone in who does not want to go and they get sued so then does the doc. ( this is one reason I want out of the medical field to many laws). Now, some states have a law where an adult OVER an age is taken by the medic with or without permition. This is because many elderly people who fall and break a hip don't know it is broken until the next day, they also have a lesser pain threshold so have difficulty telling if they need help or not.

Not to down play this tragedy, head lacertations bleed more than many others. A broken nose or a cut ear will bleed more than a deep cut to the hand or foot. It has to do with cappillarys. Now, where was I going with this law thing. . . Oh well, CRS just hit.

Good for you sticking to your guns and having them take your mom in.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
                                   H.G.Wells
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: August 14, 2007, 05:47:33 pm »

Now, one reason they cannot take a person who refuses to go even if there is cause to is that the medic does not practice under their own license. They practice under a doctors. The doc cannot treat unless given permission so the medics cannot either. If the medics take someone in who does not want to go and they get sued so then does the doc. ( this is one reason I want out of the medical field to many laws). Now, some states have a law where an adult OVER an age is taken by the medic with or without permition. This is because many elderly people who fall and break a hip don't know it is broken until the next day, they also have a lesser pain threshold so have difficulty telling if they need help or not.

Not to down play this tragedy, head lacertations bleed more than many others. A broken nose or a cut ear will bleed more than a deep cut to the hand or foot. It has to do with cappillarys. Now, where was I going with this law thing. . . Oh well, CRS just hit.

Good for you sticking to your guns and having them take your mom in.

Well, it wasnt just that he had a bleeding head, he wasnt acting right (was having difficulty walking, etc.) You are right, too many laws.   Where is the day when common sense ruled? sigh (did it ever? another question!)  They make the mistake of assuming too much!  A person can be out of their head, without being OUT.  grrr

You are right about the pain threshold, as my grandmother wasnt even aware when she broke her second hip, and she was taken to the emergency room "just in case" not really expecting that there would be a broken bone!  There was.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: August 15, 2007, 07:21:37 am »

Well, it wasnt just that he had a bleeding head, he wasnt acting right (was having difficulty walking, etc.) You are right, too many laws.   Where is the day when common sense ruled? sigh (did it ever? another question!) 

At the riskof being cynical, common sense still reigns, just under different conditions.  If you may get into trouble for X, then you will be less inclined to do X, or at least get caught doing it.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)