The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 03:49:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 03:49:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding a local shop?  (Read 5487 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 09, 2007, 10:33:25 am »

I donít suppose any of you know a listing or how to search for local Pagan themed shops? Iíve tried looking for a suitable place to find incenses and other supplies that are of a fitting quality for Craft use but am not having much luck. I did find one shop in our local antique shopping district but itís a bit hit or miss with them. How did you find the shop that you go to? It seems that most have a place they like to go for these things. Or even a website would be nice. I could use the suggestions. Thanks*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 09, 2007, 10:41:09 am »

I donít suppose any of you know a listing or how to search for local Pagan themed shops? Iíve tried looking for a suitable place to find incenses and other supplies that are of a fitting quality for Craft use but am not having much luck. I did find one shop in our local antique shopping district but itís a bit hit or miss with them. How did you find the shop that you go to? It seems that most have a place they like to go for these things. Or even a website would be nice. I could use the suggestions. Thanks*

did you try witchvox?  http://witchvox.com/  they have listings of local shops, groups, etc. 
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 09, 2007, 12:43:48 pm »

Other then doing an internet search..

What about a local Craft store? My local store carries Insense, of course it's the fruits and flower scents but Vanilla or Lavander or Sandlewood  helps
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 09, 2007, 01:30:39 pm »

As someone has already mentioned, Witchvox has a section (go to the main site, select your state - or nearby states, for that matter) from the drop down box at the top left column, and then on the state page, look for Stores (it's down near the bottom.)

Not everything is listed there, and stuff sometimes goes out of business or moves, so it's worth calling before you make a special trip somewhere.

Two of my local shops (both of which I like a lot) also do mail order business (Magus Books, http://magusbooks.com and Eye of Horus, http://eyeofhorus.biz ). Magus has the wider incense selection. There are also tons of incense makers who sell directly: Devonshire Incense does really lovely stuff, and the makers are Pagan, and excellent at what they do. http://www.incense.net/ (Their website is still lacking a lot of detail, and images and such, but you can likely email and get info.)

If you have a local Renaissance Festival with a reasonable number of vendors, there are often excellent incense makers there: I really prefer this option, and then I just order more from them when I need more by mail. (but I've gotten to sniff stuff and ask questions, and all that.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Lynleigh
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:07:50 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 09, 2007, 08:29:08 pm »

Iíve tried looking for a suitable place to find incenses and other supplies that are of a fitting quality for Craft use but am not having much luck.

I found my local shop on WitchVox, but as an alternative maybe look for a world market in your area, the one near me has lots of interesting items.
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 09, 2007, 08:35:15 pm »

You can always do a google/yahoo/whathaveyou search.  Type in "occult shops in (insert area you live)"  or "metaphysical shops (insert area)" or "new age shops (insert area)".  Sometimes, there is even sites dedicated to shops in your state/city.  Also, like what was said, witchvox is good.  BUt, be sure to call them, because they often shut down and not tell WV.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 26, 2007, 04:04:30 pm »

Did you find some Local ones???
 any of them worth it??
Just curious if you were able to find them
 Smiley
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 26, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »

I donít suppose any of you know a listing or how to search for local Pagan themed shops?

There is this website I found a week ago: http://www.monamagick.com/links_world.html

It lists local shops according to state/province and the like. Its actually really helpful.

Although I do wish where I live had more. Lips sealed

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
ďGod didnít promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.Ē
Lost-in-Translation
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 14, 2009, 04:59:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Look Within - Trust Within.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 02, 2007, 04:05:50 pm »

Or even a website would be nice. I could use the suggestions. Thanks*
http://themagickalcat.com/ and http://www.azuregreen.com/ are two good ones.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.
hyacinthine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 01:32:18 pm

Religion: erm...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 13, 2007, 08:24:20 pm »

I don’t suppose any of you know a listing or how to search for local Pagan themed shops?

Write up a list of things you need. I have no idea what you really need, but let's use this list as an example:

incense
stones
candles
herbs
wand

incense:
home and decorating stores
alternative grocery markets
And... my local Target even has incense.
Or call up a local church and ask where they get theirs. www.CatholicHeavenAngelsWonderlandNiceSmells.com can have its uses.

stones:
Learn how to identify them as well as which stones are naturally found in your area. Go seek!
Many home shops sell stones for decorative purposes to put in bowls and such.
A small shop at a nature preserve/park may sell various stones.

candles:
*cough* So maybe I don't need to give tips on this.

herbs:
As unexciting as this is, try the local supermarket.
Or grow your own. I imagine the herbs would be more energetically attuned to you, and you to them, after caring for them in this way.

wand:
Go find a stick on the ground, or else appreciatively remove one from a tree. Strip the bark, clean it up, and then cover it in - darn, don't remember what it's called - but a quick Google search can help you find wand-making tips.

etc.

Every single item you could possibly need can be procured with a bit of creativity. Shops where it's all in one place are great, but not necessary.

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.
Voltaire
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 13, 2007, 08:28:22 pm »

did you try witchvox?  http://witchvox.com/  they have listings of local shops, groups, etc. 
That's what I did, too, but they're really over-priced. Is that a trend among pagan-y stores?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 13, 2007, 08:37:01 pm »

That's what I did, too, but they're really over-priced. Is that a trend among pagan-y stores?

To butcher a joke - why sell something as 'pagan' for a dollar when you can sell it as 'new age' for ten?

More seriously, in my limited experience, yeah, over pricing CAN be a problem. That's why I badly miss the mail order people I used to get all my 'less readily available out in the boondocks where I lived' stuff from. Being in a city now, a lot of things are available from less pagan-y places with a little lateral thinking, but there was still something nice about sending off a nice juicy order for trinkets and paraphanalia from somewhere I knew was reliable and had good stuff.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 13, 2007, 09:19:08 pm »

Depends heavily on the stores - but really, any small independent business storefront is likely to have higher costs (and therefore higher prices) than either huge businesess (which reduce costs in a number of ways) or mailorder places (which can use fewer staff, cheaper space, etc.)

Like with a lot of other things, it's often worth paying for the quality. Or for keeping a local independent business that contributes back to the community going. (Both the two I mentioned earlier regularly host classes, discussions, and other community things, some of them free or very low cost, in their meeting spaces. This is an overall good thing, so when I can, I buy from them.)

That said, in both cases, the prices are not what you find at a place able to heavy discounts - but books are retail price, incense is not cheap, but reasonably priced for quality and burn time, etc.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 13, 2007, 09:22:55 pm »

Depends heavily on the stores - but really, any small independent business storefront is likely to have higher costs (and therefore higher prices) than either huge businesess (which reduce costs in a number of ways) or mailorder places (which can use fewer staff, cheaper space, etc.)

Like with a lot of other things, it's often worth paying for the quality. Or for keeping a local independent business that contributes back to the community going. (Both the two I mentioned earlier regularly host classes, discussions, and other community things, some of them free or very low cost, in their meeting spaces. This is an overall good thing, so when I can, I buy from them.)

That said, in both cases, the prices are not what you find at a place able to heavy discounts - but books are retail price, incense is not cheap, but reasonably priced for quality and burn time, etc.

Quality, yeah, but ten dollars for a quill pen still seems a bit steep.

correction: GOOD incense is not cheap. i found that out the hard way. the cheap stuff i have just smokes.

Walmart spoils me, I suppose. Smiley

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 14, 2007, 11:32:40 am »

Quality, yeah, but ten dollars for a quill pen still seems a bit steep.

correction: GOOD incense is not cheap. i found that out the hard way. the cheap stuff i have just smokes.

Walmart spoils me, I suppose. Smiley

I actually ended up finding about 3 stores around my area that turned out to be worth the semi-long drive to reach them. Enchanted Valley, Mystic Valley, and Pathways all host events and all have about the same prices. It just depends on what I want from what creator that determines where I go. They all get stuff from separate sources. Iím actually taking classes at Pathways for about $15-$20 per a class. Then there is the 3 or 4 different meetings going on monthly around the area that are free held in homes and bookstores. Iím very pleased with what is available to me.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)